SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Very disappointing home stand. Still don't know what to make of Jones. Doubt we can afford anything any better.

Wrong. So very wrong. Many deserving DII coaches out there waiting for their shot at coaching DI. Plus there's no reason UND and Mr. Faison can't spend a little more; too much invested in dead programs like women's hockey and baseball.

I don't think he's getting fired this year unless the team completely implodes.

Pretty much. Missing the BSC tourney makes the rope that much shorter next year. Team seems to be competing but just can't put it together for extended periods. Jones was definitely rolling some new lineups today trying to find something that works. Saw a lot less 3 guard lineups but foul trouble was part of it.

As you know I am a die-hard Sioux fan and not a coach head hunter - what we are watching is a 9th place Big Sky team which is exactly where they were predicted. I can't believe that there can be 3 UND players and one UNC player around a loose rebound and the UNC player comes up with it, I'm sure Dave Gunther would call the way this team rebounds and goes after loose balls unwatchable - the weak side is open so often and we've got a 7 footer setting screens at the 3 point line. Plus I have never seen them pass it to the guy on the screen and roll. I think we have some talent and I'm going to continue to support this team and cheer them on but they need to knuckle down and learn to play defense and box out.

Go Sioux!   

Can't win at home can't win on the road

Where do we draw the li e

Nowhere.  Remember, this is UND, where we are just happy to have teams to watch and you are a "bad fan" if you dare question the student-athletes or the coaching staff for anything.

Flame away people, but that is how men's basketball is treated in Grand Forks.  And that is a shame.

Nowhere. Remember, this is UND, where we are just happy to have teams to watch and you are a "bad fan" if you dare question the student-athletes or the coaching staff for anything.

Flame away people, but that is how men's basketball is treated in Grand Forks. And that is a shame.

It is a shame, are we happy to lose to a team like UNC because the game was entertaining? You want entertainment go to a movie, this is sports where you are happy if they win but not happy if they lose. If we are getting beat at home getting wins on the road isn't going to be much easier.

• Upvote 1

It is a shame, are we happy to lose to a team like UNC because the game was entertaining? You want entertainment go to a movie, this is sports where you are happy if they win but not happy if they lose. If we are getting beat at home getting wins on the road isn't going to be much easier.

Really - now sports is no longer considered entertainment? I really hope any lingering unhappiness over the loss of a GAME lasts about 5 minutes. Otherwise there are deeper issues at work here. There are lots of things more important than winning or losing a GAME. I don't think anyone said they were happy about losing to UNC, it was a fun, yet frustrating game to watch - so now fans that are not willing to grumble and complain and ask for a coach to be fired after every loss are supposed to go to a movie? The shame is that we have come to this point in our society where so much negative energy is funneled into the results of a GAME. 

Really - now sports is no longer considered entertainment? I really hope any lingering unhappiness over the loss of a GAME lasts about 5 minutes. Otherwise there are deeper issues at work here. There are lots of things more important than winning or losing a GAME. I don't think anyone said they were happy about losing to UNC, it was a fun, yet frustrating game to watch - so now fans that are not willing to grumble and complain and ask for a coach to be fired after every loss are supposed to go to a movie? The shame is that we have come to this point in our society where so much negative energy is funneled into the results of a GAME.

Are you happy this team keeps losing? I'm not. I am pissed that we can't field a winning team. Loss after loss gets old pretty damn fast. 1-4 in the conference is bad enough but 0-3 at home?!? There is no excuse for this. If you like the way this team is being coached then tell Faison to give Jones an extension for another decade, if not then changes should be made in 2 months. This team will be lucky to see a .500 record.

• Upvote 2

Hmmmm. Not so sure a team that took Ohio State to OT and kept Louisville close would classify as garbage.

Agreed Minnesota could easily be 5-1 instead of 1-5 in the B1G right now blowing a couple late leads and also losing a couple on last second shots. Those trying to compare Pitino and Jones situation there is no comparison Pitino is in his 2nd season and still relying on players from the previous regime that don't exactly fit his system great and he has a very good recruiting class coming in next season. Minnesota definitely isn't a "garbage" team and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go on a winning streak and get themselves back in to the NCAA tourney conversation.

When jonrs calls a to

Why does he go way out on the court by himself with a clip board

Does t even talk to his playas thru out the whole thing

Jones has zero contact with his players. He has told his assistants at the beginning of the year that he will talk with each player for 15 minutes before the start of the season and then do a wrap up at the end of the year for 15 minutes. He sometimes thinks to himself during timeouts because he doesn't want to risk talking to a player since he is pretty firm about the 15 and 15 method. He also travels separate from the team and stays at a separate hotel.

Are you happy this team keeps losing? I'm not. I am pissed that we can't field a winning team. Loss after loss gets old pretty damn fast. 1-4 in the conference is bad enough but 0-3 at home?!? There is no excuse for this. If you like the way this team is being coached then tell Faison to give Jones an extension for another decade, if not then changes should be made in 2 months. This team will be lucky to see a .500 record.

I would like to know your thoughts on my questions:

Do you feel that sports is no longer entertainment?

Do you grieve or stress over a UND loss for more than a few minutes?

Is UND losing a game really important in your life?

Jones has zero contact with his players. He has told his assistants at the beginning of the year that he will talk with each player for 15 minutes before the start of the season and then do a wrap up at the end of the year for 15 minutes. He sometimes thinks to himself during timeouts because he doesn't want to risk talking to a player since he is pretty firm about the 15 and 15 method. He also travels separate from the team and stays at a separate hotel.

Is this a new rule of his? A few years ago I'm pretty sure I saw him out for lunch with 4 players during the season.

I'm not out to fire Jones necessarily although he's certainly not winning many friends. One observation though (I normally sit approx 10 rows behind the Sioux bench); I think as a player he would not be much fun to play for or to be around. Should players and coach be best beer buds, certainly not, but he appears to be very negative coaching the players with no real encouragement of a positive nature. I caught some of the Neb - Wisco game the other night and Tim Miles is very positive and encouraging with his players (stern when he has to be though) and interacting in a mentor/student type manner with his players. Neb made the NCAA tourney for the first time in 16 years last season year so he might be doing something right? On the other hand, Jones just seems at odds and mostly always pissy with his players and not a fun guy to be around at all. Not sure what it all really means, the result of it but just saying.

Haha. Chumming the water. Probably not a good sign that people are actually believing this though.