SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament

SiouxScore

What a game! That type of game is exactly why this tournament is as huge as it is it just doesn't get any better. I love the all north final but I do feel for Mittlestadt. I think he will be a great college player and eventually get to the NHL. He will have that regret that some other MN NHLers have talked about even after winning a NCAA Championship or Stanley Cup not being able to win a state championship sticks with them.

Whether you're a fan of Eden Prairie or not if you're a athlete or former athlete that shot of some of the EP guys just sitting on the bench crying a good 10 minutes after the game is over has you feeling for them as I think almost every athlete/former athlete  has been in a similar spot before.  It also shows you how important this is and how much these guys care about each other. Makes it easy to see why a kid might come back to high school for one more shot with the guys he grew up with even when he may have other opportunities.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Whether you're a fan of Eden Prairie or not if you're a athlete or former athlete that shot of some of the EP guys just sitting on the bench crying a good 10 minutes after the game is over has you feeling for them as I think almost every athlete/former athlete  has been in a similar spot before.  It also shows you how important this is and how much these guys care about each other. Makes it easy to see why a kid might come back to high school for one more shot with the guys you grew up with even when he may have other opportunities.

Yep.  Well said.

6 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Whether you're a fan of Eden Prairie or not if you're a athlete or former athlete that shot of some of the EP guys just sitting on the bench crying a good 10 minutes after the game is over has you feeling for them as I think almost every athlete/former athlete  has been in a similar spot before.  It also shows you how important this is and how much these guys care about each other. Makes it easy to see why a kid might come back to high school for one more shot with the guys he grew up with even when he may have other opportunities.

For these kids, this is the biggest thing they have ever been a part of (up to this point). So it must really hurt when they work so hard for something and then it just doesn't happen.

That is why we love sports so much. The thrill of victory.......and the agony of defeat. It is a timeless concept, passed down from one generation to the next.

• Upvote 3

‪Grand Rapids and Moorhead play for AA title.  GF Greyhounds were 7-0-1 against GR/Moorhead PeeWee AA teams this year.  Greyhounds had a 14-1-2 record against MN teams this year.  The other PeeWee A team, GF Seawolves had a similar record and beat then #1 ranked AA team Andover to win the White Bear Lake tourney.  Lots of talent coming up in GF youth hockey

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

For these kids, this is the biggest thing they have ever been a part of (up to this point). So it must really hurt when they work so hard for something and then it just doesn't happen.

That is why we love sports so much. The thrill of victory.......and the agony of defeat. It is a timeless concept, passed down from one generation to the next.

Your post made me start humming this theme song like Chip Douglas in "The Cable Guy".  Pretty fun way to start your Saturday morning! For my wife, not so much.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

‪Grand Rapids and Moorhead play for AA title.  GF Greyhounds were 7-0-1 against GR/Moorhead PeeWee AA teams this year.  Greyhounds had a 14-1-2 record against MN teams this year.  The other PeeWee A team, GF Seawolves had a similar record and beat then #1 ranked AA team Andover to win the White Bear Lake tourney.  Lots of talent coming up in GF youth hockey

Bantam AA Aviators were a top team too.  If GF had a combined team, which isn't unfair given the GF population compared to the size of so e metro schools, they would compete at the top of class AA.

1 minute ago, Yote 53 said:

Bantam AA Aviators were a top team too.  If GF had a combined team, which isn't unfair given the GF population compared to the size of so e metro schools, they would compete at the top of class AA.

They would do more then compete; they would be the team to beat

On 3/8/2017 at 10:22 PM, SiouxScore said:

Yes, Mack Motzko a Freshman Bob's son.

Some pretty questionable calls have gone against EGF in this one. EGF probably feels pretty good about being down 1 headed to the 3rd when Cathedral has had 6 PPs including 2 long 5-on-3s while EGF has had just 1 PP.

Good lot of questionable calls went for egf in both the section semis and finals. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Go Spuds!

I'm hoping for them to get over the hump this year.  Hopefully the Cullen clan is watching somewhere today.

GR is playing so well right now.  Great goaltending, top lines clicking....  Will be a tough task for Moorhead tonight. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

The metro powers or the best teams in the state?

5-0 or 3-0 GF.

No chance, wouldn't have got through Moorhead to even make the state tournament. The whole hypothetical of Central, Red River, or a combined GF team competing in Minnesota is just kind of stupid to me. One thing that really sticks out to me is there is so much more depth and talent in Minnesota hockey that the whole season is much more of a grind for a team. Come playoff time even if you are the #1 team in the state you better bring your best game or you probably won't even make your section final.

Agree with Sioux Score on this...MN high school sports has much more of a grind to get through, not only the regular season, but playoffs as well...UND is fortunate to be feasting on MN talent in all sports...the guts lf the FB team, BB, and to some extent hockey is made up of those from the 'Gopher state'.....That is logical as the state has about 7 x the population of ND....

Think I read somewhere, Forum perhaps, that the largest % of the student bodies of both UND/NDSU were Minnesotans....think that was in an article related to retaining tuition reciprocity......

26 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

No chance, wouldn't have got through Moorhead to even make the state tournament. The whole hypothetical of Central, Red River, or a combined GF team competing in Minnesota is just kind of stupid to me. One thing that really sticks out to me is there is so much more depth and talent in Minnesota hockey that the whole season is much more of a grind for a team. Come playoff time even if you are the #1 team in the state you better bring your best game or you probably won't even make your section final.

Central scrimmaged Moorhead in preseason jamboree in Moorhead before season started, score in the 1hour game was 1-0 Moorhead but Central outshot them by a good margin...Central would have competed with any team in AA MN this year.  50/50 game with anyone in the tourney.  The combined Bantam team, the GF Aviators, were #1 team in MN.  If GF PeeWee had a combined team they would be #1 also, no question...each team on their own are top 5 AA in MN, combined team would dominate MN AA

27 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Central scrimmaged Moorhead in preseason jamboree in Moorhead before season started, score in the 1hour game was 1-0 Moorhead but Central outshot them by a good margin...Central would have competed with any team in AA MN this year.  50/50 game with anyone in the tourney.  The combined Bantam team, the GF Aviators, were #1 team in MN.  If GF PeeWee had a combined team they would be #1 also, no question...each team on their own are top 5 AA in MN, combined team would dominate MN AA

That is great about youth hockey but lets be honest high school is a whole different deal with some guys going to different schools, much better coaching in some places, there is much more pressure and expectations in some places. My point is you can't automatically say they could have a 50/50 game with anyone in the tourney in a one game shot because half the battle is just getting there in Minnesota. There is so much more competition that the Grand Forks teams don't get to experience because of the lack of depth in ND and that competition can grind on a team throughout the year. A big part of it is the battle of going out there and facing a good team night in and night out especially in the metro. There are good players in Grand Forks but saying because they dominate ND hockey and can compete in a few games with Minnesota teams means they could win the state championship is kind of like the way NDSU fans argue they could compete or win the Big 12 when they beat Kansas St in a one game shot. I've watched a lot of Minnesota hockey and have also seen both Central and Red River this year. Central probably would have been a top 10 team most of the year and would have had a chance to get to state but no guarantee there. I don't think Red River would have got to state but they would have been a fringe top 20ish team I'd compare Red River a little to Bemidji this year.

36 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

That is great about youth hockey but lets be honest high school is a whole different deal with some guys going to different schools, much better coaching in some places, there is much more pressure and expectations in some places. My point is you can't automatically say they could have a 50/50 game with anyone in the tourney in a one game shot because half the battle is just getting there in Minnesota. There is so much more competition that the Grand Forks teams don't get to experience because of the lack of depth in ND and that competition can grind on a team throughout the year. A big part of it is the battle of going out there and facing a good team night in and night out especially in the metro. There are good players in Grand Forks but saying because they dominate ND hockey and can compete in a few games with Minnesota teams means they could win the state championship is kind of like the way NDSU fans argue they could compete or win the Big 12 when they beat Kansas St in a one game shot. I've watched a lot of Minnesota hockey and have also seen both Central and Red River this year. Central probably would have been a top 10 team most of the year and would have had a chance to get to state but no guarantee there. I don't think Red River would have got to state but they would have been a fringe top 20ish team I'd compare Red River a little to Bemidji this year.

Just stating facts...yes not the competition at the High School level but don't downgrade them because of that.  Like I stated they play these teams plenty at the Bantam and PeeWee level and all the good HS kids play in the MN elite league in the fall so there are plenty of comparisons there besides the high school season.  Sure it's tough to get out of section; is for all teams. This Central team is in par with any team in the AA tourney this year