SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ WMU - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

34 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I've typically been a pretty positive person with this hockey team in my years as a fan. And maybe that's because typically from start to finish, the team has improved over the course of the season, and you could just feel it was coming.

But idk I don't feel like as a team we've improved at all. And while there is still time (not much but a little), I was hoping to see some sign that would give me some hope that we could go on a run, and right now we are barely scoring 2 goals a game, turn the puck over way too much and can't put the puck in an open net. So if they could give some sort of sign of life that would be great. I haven't given up on them, but a sign of life would be great.

Haks had his critics for failing to win a natty but at least his teams always, always improved as the season went on.  Basically the opposite this season though.   

• Upvote 1

We need to come out buzzing right from the drop of the puck tomorrow if we want to win. If you compare teams though this Western Michigan team is experienced with a lot of veteran guys. Tough rink to play in and they bring the pyschicality as well.. They're a big team with skill and can skate and it showed tonight they just wore us down... Would be a huge win tomorrow and I think we can pull it off 

16 minutes ago, Randy Lahey said:

Our defensemen also need to do a better job at picking up sticks and bodies in front of Cam. Can't lose those battles in close games it's vital. 

And why are we starting a defenseman that basically costs us a goal a game including this one?

• Upvote 1

UND has 5 goals in last 4 games. One goal between Jost, Pogo, Gersich and Brock in last 6 games.

This team has plenty of issues but IMO their biggest is lack of consistent scoring. Cam was really good last night. Our D was about what one can expect nightly which is erratic and full of holes.

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

A problem could be Boeser has been relegated to grinding and setting up others, which he did nicely a few times last night.  

Why is that a problem?  Cause they need him to score and score alot! 

16 gets more shots blocked than MM back in the day at the Hyslop!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND has 5 goals in last 4 games. One goal between Jost, Pogo, Gersich and Brock in last 6 games.

This team has plenty of issues but IMO their biggest is lack of consistent scoring. Cam was really good last night. Our D was about what one can expect nightly which is erratic and full of holes.

To be fair, Jost only played in one of those

• Upvote 1

Lack of scoring is certainly a concern.  We need to notch more goals than we are currently doing.  Cam has been decent - not terrible - not stellar.  Our defense is troubling at times, with mental lapses not befitting a returning national championship team.  But perhaps the most troubling aspect of the team, in my eyes, is the lackadaisical play that they seem to slip into, where there is just no urgency or jump at all.  That has lead to allowing quick goals right after we score, and also extended periods of time blocking opponent's shots.  And taking some stupid penalties after getting behind the play.

12 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Tim's a great play by play guy but I've noticed lately his voice sounds like he's aged 25 years.  I keep wanting him to cough or clear his throat, I guess we all get older.

Noticed the same thing and I heard it in his voice even last year a bit. I love Tim and am not judging him for the decision but it's his smoking habit that's really seems to be taking a toll on his speaking. He and his wife are both regulars where I work; he usually comes in smelling like cigarettes. 

11 hours ago, Randy Lahey said:

We need to come out buzzing right from the drop of the puck tomorrow if we want to win. If you compare teams though this Western Michigan team is experienced with a lot of veteran guys. Tough rink to play in and they bring the pyschicality as well.. They're a big team with skill and can skate and it showed tonight they just wore us down... Would be a huge win tomorrow and I think we can pull it off 

Actually Wmu is a very young team. Freshman goalie and most of our top scorers are fresh or soph. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Remember, 4 guys from last year's team are currently on NHL rosters...been a long time since that happened all at once...a dpairing and a line.  Can't reload that very quickly

So how do the Sioux beat BC and Union with out Boeser and Jost and have an awesome weekend at Omaha and then go on to play how they've been playing? That's the frustrating part. We've seen how good these guys can be when they're on so what gives now, seems like half this team is sick now, maybe they all have mono.  So frustrating to watch , I can't remember the last time this team had more losses than wins at this time of the season.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Remember, 4 guys from last year's team are currently on NHL rosters...been a long time since that happened all at once...a dpairing and a line.  Can't reload that very quickly

Other teams lost players too...and didn't bring the talent (on paper) that we did. Just playing devils advocate.  Also I fully understand what we lost, however I realize what we have too.