SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

9 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Red River looks good. They can play with Central, however to have a young Sophomore goalie step up to beat Central is one big ask. Crazy things have happened in the state tournament though. We shall see. 

I wouldn't be surprised if High beat RR. They looked like the best team out of the 2 night games. 

3 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I wouldn't be surprised is High beat RR. They looked like the best team out of the 2 night games. 

3 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I wouldn't be surprised is High beat RR. They looked like the best team out of the 2 night games. 

I wouldn't judge based off the first game of state. Nerves and generally weird things happen on day 1 of state tourney. 

We'll see. 

I didn't think Red River played their best game.  Dominated the first period and then just kind of coasted.  Great individual play by Costello is the game winner but they didn't really blow the doors off Century, and the shots weren't one sided in the end either.  

Ill take them tomorrow in a close game against BHS.  It's got OT written all over it.  

7 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

BHS over DL 4-2

Good call (unfortunately), Ogie.  How do you see Century/DL?

Century is a lot better than I thought they would be. I also noticed that they took down South and Davies earlier this year which I forgot about. With that said, I've been impressed with this DL team's grit. So I think DL will take it to them and win in a close one if they can stay out of the box. I'll guess 3-2 DL! I just can't see Ness letting in more than 2 goals. 

9 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

I wouldn't judge based off the first game of state. Nerves and generally weird things happen on day 1 of state tourney. 

We'll see. 

I've watched both teams in person during the regular season too though. I still think RR will win, as that's what I predicted. I guess I just meant it wouldn't seem like a big upset to me if BHS won.

Minot beating GFC on the other hand, now THAT would be an upset. 

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Mandan girl's goalie stopped 50 of 51 shots in an upset OT win over North-South.

Watched most of that game as I know both coaches real well from my coaching days. Mandan works real hard and that goalie had the game of her life. And she is only a sophomore. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I've watched both teams in person during the regular season too though. I still think RR will win, as that's what I predicted. I guess I just meant it wouldn't seem like a big upset to me if BHS won.

Minot beating GFC on the other hand, now that would be an upset. 

It would be the biggest upset in state hockey history given what Central has done this year, and what they did to Minot earlier this year, although it was the first game of the season.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Minot beating GFC on the other hand, now that would be an upset. 

I'm going to go with RR as well. No way Minot can hang with Central. So like most of us said long ago it will be an all Grand Forks final.  

22 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sidenote to east of the river:  If you thought Centrals performance was dominant yesterday, the Green Wave may have outdone them.  EGF beat Bagley-Fosston 7-0 and outshot them 60-0!!!  Yeah you are reading that right.  EGF did not allow a single shot on goal!

I think more notable to me was the Herald noting that Bagley only got the puck into EGF's zone 11 times the whole game.  

Regarding SW MN hockey, it is growing and the programs are getting better.  Luverne is hockey crazy right now and they have some great groups coming up through the ranks.  Having coached against a good cross section of youth teams this past year, and over the past several years, from SD, and the Midwest, to ND across to Duluth, to the Cities, into Wisconsin, down into southern MN from Rochester across to Luverne I think I have a pretty good feel for what is going on.  Some of those southern MN towns, Luverne, New Ulm, Litchfield, Hutchinson, Albert Lea, and Owatonna, in particular, are putting teams on the ice just as good or better than many of the northern and city programs.  There is a shift happening and over the next decade you will see that play out in the Class A tournament in St. Paul as the southern schools begin to have some real good showings.  Class AA won't change much as the Rochester program has to feed so many schools it dilutes the HS teams. 

Back to the present, what is the schedule for games today.  Stream on WDAY again for us out-of-staters?

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Regarding SW MN hockey, it is growing and the programs are getting better.  Luverne is hockey crazy right now and they have some great groups coming up through the ranks.  Having coached against a good cross section of youth teams this past year, and over the past several years, from SD, and the Midwest, to ND across to Duluth, to the Cities, into Wisconsin, down into southern MN from Rochester across to Luverne I think I have a pretty good feel for what is going on.  Some of those southern MN towns, Luverne, New Ulm, Litchfield, Hutchinson, Albert Lea, and Owatonna, in particular, are putting teams on the ice just as good or better than many of the northern and city programs.  There is a shift happening and over the next decade you will see that play out in the Class A tournament in St. Paul as the southern schools begin to have some real good showings.  Class AA won't change much as the Rochester program has to feed so many schools it dilutes the HS teams. 

Back to the present, what is the schedule for games today.  Stream on WDAY again for us out-of-staters?

Yeah I was wondering if only the winners bracket would be on WDAY, or if all of them would be again. Anyone know? I don't see the link available on the site yet. 

21 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

http://www.ndhsaanow.com/tournaments/icehockey-boys

I haven't found anything about a stream yet, since the games will be on TV...but I'd guess you might be able to stream it again just like yesterday?  It was here yesterday:

http://www.wday.com/live-video

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wow.  Did they even attempt a shot??!

What did the Herald article say, had two opportunities.  EGF was just too quick and deep.

B/F made a galant effort in the first but it didn't take EGF long to wear down the Flyers first line with heavy doses of EGF 3rd and 4th lines. B/F started with some fight though and kept play at neutral ice and high in the defensive zone. Kober used his full arsenal to tire the Flyers out and Thoma was a wall for the Flyers. 3-0 EGF after 1, Shots 22-0 EGF.

EGF came out in the second flying and B/F looked tired and shell shocked. Most play was on B/Fs side of the red line. EGF was passing really well and bombing shots from the blue line. At one point they just cycled the puck in the zone long enough to complete two line changes. The D just played outfield on the blue line and intercepted everything B/F tried to clear. EGF took a 5 minute boarding call with 3 minutes left in the period but looked even better on the kill. A minute later, B/F took a minor so that cancelled the power play and they skated 4x4 where EGF picked up a goal. 6-0 EGF after 2, Shots 42-0 EGF.

Third period the Green Wave came running out of the tunnel, the Flyers could barely lift their leg to go over the boards. They looked like the would rather be on the bus home. EGF played a lot of pass and catch and put on a cycling clinic. They picked up another goal to finish 7-0 and I had them for 64 shots as they stopped posting them accurately around 45.

The last five minutes the whole arena wanted the Flyers to get a shot on goal. The did mount 3 or 4 rushes that got into the zone and below the goal line extended. EGF played tough D to prevent and the entire arena was oowwwing and ahhing. Thoma, the B/F goalie was the player of the game for me. He is good and doesn't have a lot of help in front of him. He is a warrior. He was the last through the handshake line and the last off the ice. The B/F crowd gave him a great standing ovation, the whole building should have.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Air Force One said:

I never said Kittson Central, Detroit Lakes, or Osseo were great teams.  Kittson won 1 game this season, Detroit Lakes cherry picked a bottom feeder schedule.  Osseo, demographics are changing in the metro, Osseo is not in a strong hockey area.  Just like there is 1 hockey team representing the actual city of Minneapolis.  Richfield shut down their program.  The power is in the suburbs.

But, like Detroit Lakes, Central and Red River are cherry picking an entire league.  Central has scored double digits six times this year including today (10,12,10,12,11,16,10) all against ND teams and Red River scored double digits twice (11 and 10) and 9 goals four times and one was Detroit Lakes.

So North Dakota hockey is better because Central and Red River run the score up on their entire league and, as you put it, garbage Minnesota teams.

Load up the bus and at least drive to Moorhead or Hermantown.  Maybe Elk River or Wayzata?

If you are gonna say you are the best, play the BEST!

Very true....however a lot of the MN cities that have the top teams (Edina, Wayzata, Blaine, EP, etc) have one team.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Very true....however a lot of the MN cities that have the top teams (Edina, Wayzata, Blaine, EP, etc) have one team.

Yes they do other than Woodbury/East Ridge, Apple Valley/Eastview, and Bloomington Jefferson/Bloomington Kennedy.  Wayzata gets fringe Minnetonka kids and all the Plymouth kids.  And then the privates...

But, with this years teams, I feel Central and Red River could play with Blaine and Wayzata and it would interesting to see how they would do against the town on the westside with a dream and EP.  Just like a MN Class A team vs a Class AA team, Central and Red River would run into a depth problem.

4 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

Yes they do other than Woodbury/East Ridge, Apple Valley/Eastview, and Bloomington Jefferson/Bloomington Kennedy.  Wayzata gets fringe Minnetonka kids and all the Plymouth kids.  And then the privates...

But, with this years teams, I feel Central and Red River could play with Blaine and Wayzata and it would interesting to see how they would do against the town on the westside with a dream and EP.  Just like a MN Class A team vs a Class AA team, Central and Red River would run into a depth problem.

Right....because they have two teams.  If they were combined I think they would give EP a decent game.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

I always laugh when I hear this.  I hope the Hornets lose in sections. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1