SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Denver - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

The PK and PP are weak at best right now. UND has been shutout in 2 of their last 3 games. UND is 0-3-1 in their last 4 games. They are giving up an average of 4 goals/game in their last 5 games. Taking all of this into account it add ups to a 3-2 UND win tonight.

• Upvote 1

I expect DU to sweep this weekend, but for UND to play well.  DU is highly skilled and will challenge UMD for the NCHC title.  This weekend will be the turning point for the team.  I expect improved results beginning next weekend against St. Cloud.  Unfortunately, that is the way that I see it.  I could need new glasses though.

16 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

I expect DU to sweep this weekend, but for UND to play well.  DU is highly skilled and will challenge UMD for the NCHC title.  This weekend will be the turning point for the team.  I expect improved results beginning next weekend against St. Cloud.  Unfortunately, that is the way that I see it.  I could need new glasses though.

Counterpoint: No

Cam needs to be the best player on the ice this weekend but I think that's been some of the theme the past couple weekends and it's causing him to be too tight. At this point, there's too much pressure on Cam and it can be seen he's not the same as last year at this point. A bit out of position, giving up more rebounds, allowing some pretty soft goals. He just needs to relax and settle back in, the defense will eventually figure things out in front of him. 

23 minutes ago, Feff said:

Cam needs to be the best player on the ice this weekend but I think that's been some of the theme the past couple weekends and it's causing him to be too tight. At this point, there's too much pressure on Cam and it can be seen he's not the same as last year at this point. A bit out of position, giving up more rebounds, allowing some pretty soft goals. He just needs to relax and settle back in, the defense will eventually figure things out in front of him. 

It seems like they're starting to figure things out and make the proper adjustments (judging by Saturday's game against Minnesota) which is encouraging.

Now if we can just start finding the back of the net!

1 hour ago, Feff said:

I have to disagree.  Cam proved last year in March and April that he can handle pressure.   And we all knew last year that a huge part of our success was due to the defense, including goaltending and success at the offensive end of the ice.  He just has a more difficult job this year because our young team has a lot to learn.  Not rocket science.  And there os no guarantee that the boys will reach a level where they are a threat in March.  That's the way the game works.   For everybody.   

I personally think they will be in the hunt, but I don't think they will just turn a switch.   There are some difficult lessons ahead, IMO.    The NCHC is too good to expect otherwise, and I wouldn't have it any other way, 

1 hour ago, burd said:

I have to disagree.  Cam proved last year in March and April that he can handle pressure.   And we all knew last year that a huge part of our success was due to the defense, including goaltending and success at the offensive end of the ice.  He just has a more difficult job this year because our young team has a lot to learn.  Not rocket science.  And there os no guarantee that the boys will reach a level where they are a threat in March.  That's the way the game works.   For everybody.   

I personally think they will be in the hunt, but I don't think they will just turn a switch.   There are some difficult lessons ahead, IMO.    The NCHC is too good to expect otherwise, and I wouldn't have it any other way, 

Excellent observations and points. I'd also add that to your point about not just turning a switch, the NCHC I believe is better from top to bottom....look at Western and even CC as proof.

I would like to think that our offense will click and our defense will gel.  I hope that it is a low scoring game, but I suspect it will not be.  Having home ice, I think we will see a 3-2 win, maybe in OT.

We cannot turn the puck over on the point.  That has led to several soft goals in the past two weekends.  And we need our PP to score.

Cam, I think is OK.  Sure he let in a few soft goals, but you can't stop them all.  Our defense really needs to step up and gel.