SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Denver - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

Not sure what's with some of the complaining on here...but that was an exciting hockey game! Look like two very good teams playing for a title last night in a championship game....to me! You could see this type of play showing last Saturday, this is going to be another great team to watch! 

I thought everyone was blowing up about a tie and 2OT win last night when I seen this!

Screenshot_20161111-230406.png

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Brock's trying to do too much and jost isn't getting involved.  Jost needs to lead his own line. Split them up at even strength 

I disagree. They created chances last night. If anything Brock needs to work on his release. Teams backcheck hard and on odd man rushes if he doesn't get it off right away they disrupt it.

10 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I disagree. They created chances last night. If anything Brock needs to work on his release. Teams backcheck hard and on odd man rushes if he doesn't get it off right away they disrupt it.

Definitely agree on the release part....needs to get quicker.

its been pretty cool offensively lately  

• Upvote 2

Thoughts:

-That was a tremendous college hockey game.  One of the better played games I've seen live at REA.  Great goaltending, play making, and other than UNDs 30 second whoops a guy got behind us for a breakaway moment in the second period, pretty good defensively.  

-Official #21 wins the over officiate the game award.  Rhett's penalty was a joke.  Guy had the puck.  And then in OT, jeeeeeez.......I did like Rhett tapping the glass with his stick after Denver scored.  Thought he was going to get another 10.  

-Puck watching on penalty kill costs again.  Boeser floats to opposite point and his guy sees it and moves to scoring angle and....thin mints.....

-Great game for Cam, he is the guy.

-Hopefully last night's game gets treated as a tie in the mindset of the players preparing for tonight.  

UND played a great game last night. In addition, Denver is pretty good (like they usual are). 

Positives:

Pace, effort, puck movement (the olympic rink last week didn't do the team any good)

Crowd - Very solid 

Cole Smith - Solid game. Give credit where credit is due

Cam Johnson - Best game of the year

Defense - Besides those two brain fart plays in the second period that lead to two Denver breakaways, they played very well.

PP - Better... need to score a goal or two tonight 

Needs improvement (won't use the word negative)

Brock - Please start dishing the puck more, Tyson Jost is a good player, spread the wealth, (see their 2 on 1 play) again, when teams target you, other players are open, it's really that simple 

Wilke - Just score a goal for confidence, I don't care how you score, you need a damn goal to get the monkey off your back

Simo - better game, you're due for a garbage goal too. You need one

Hoff - You're due for a goal to get your confidence back

Yon - Continue to improve, with his speed and shot, he shouldn't be a healthy scratch imo 

19 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

UND played a great game last night. In addition, Denver is pretty good (like they usual are). 

Positives:

Pace, effort, puck movement (the olympic rink last week didn't do the team any good)

Crowd - Very solid 

Cam Johnson - Best game of the year

Defense - Besides those two brain fart plays in the second period that lead to two Denver breakaways, they played very well.

PP - Better... need to score a goal or two tonight 

Needs improvement (won't use the word negative)

Brock - Please start dishing the puck more, Tyson Jost is a good player, spread the wealth, (see their 2 on 1 play) again, when teams target you, other players are open, it's really that simple 

Wilke - Just score a goal for confidence, I don't care how you score, you need a damn goal to get the monkey off your back

Simo - better game, you're due for a garbage goal too. You need one

Hoff - You're due for a goal to get your confidence back

Yon - Continue to improve, with his speed and shot, he shouldn't be a healthy scratch imo 

Agree with a lot of what u posted.  I also think yon should play.  Not sure where though.  

23 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Agree Yon in for Wilkie should be the move tonight and I'd like to see him on a line with Bowen seemed like they had some chemistry early. Wilkie hasn't really brought anything to the lineup all season.

Agree. Yon and Bowen w Simo. If you watch Bowen play he has that "it" factor. He'll be a solid 4 year guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hate to say it, but I think we need to shuffle up the first 2-3 lines a little bit. Especially if we struggle to create quality scoring chances once again tonight. Shuffling lines always seems to spark some new chemistry between players that you wouldn't expect. Sometimes the top 3 forwards on the team don't combine to make the best line. Maybe Jost would be more productive by LEADING another pair of wingers. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree. Yon and Bowen w Simo. If you watch Bowen play he has that "it" factor. He'll be a solid 4 year guy.

Agreed. I have been pulling for Wilkie but he just doesn't have that fire I was expecting to see in him when he's fully healthy. He seems to struggle to create space to show off his monster shot. He's been struggling to get control of the puck in the O-zone all together actually. He's a natural goal scorer, but at this level he just cannot obtain the positioning he needs to score those goals he has been scoring his whole life. Not a great transition for him, but he will stick around and contribute someday down the road. For now, get the strong, young, and tenacious corner greasers in the game to grind down opposing D-men. 

14 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I hate to say it, but I think we need to shuffle up the first 2-3 lines a little bit. Especially if we struggle to create quality scoring chances once again tonight. Shuffling lines always seems to spark some new chemistry between players that you wouldn't expect. Sometimes the top 3 forwards on the team don't combine to make the best line. Maybe Jost would be more productive by LEADING another pair of wingers. 

Totally agree

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Cole Smith has shown in every game he has played that he has a motor that just does not quit.  He is an intense battler along the boards.  He has shown that he can score.  If everyone on the team had the drive that he has this team would be assume at this point.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

Cole Smith has shown in every game he has played that he has a motor that just does not quit.  He is an intense battler along the boards.  He has shown that he can score.  If everyone on the team had the drive that he has this team would be assume at this point.

He's been great, but I don't think it is fair to imply that most of the players do not have a lot of drive. 

7 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

He became my favorite freshman after last night. Love how he plays.

15 minutes ago, burd said:

He's been great, but I don't think it is fair to imply that most of the players do not have a lot of drive. 

I maybe worded that wrong.  Some players have not been playing 100% at all times.  Cole Smith has been noticeable in every game he has played for his effort.  Obviously there are others with more skill, but I don't know that I have seen anyone put out more effort that he does.  

8 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Not sure what's with some of the complaining on here...but that was an exciting hockey game! Look like two very good teams playing for a title last night in a championship game....to me! You could see this type of play showing last Saturday, this is going to be another great team to watch! 

I thought everyone was blowing up about a tie and 2OT win last night when I seen this!

Screenshot_20161111-230406.png

I hear u but it is what some of us do - it's called a discussion forum - many of us we know their online personality & all sites have different degrees of sarcasm - so I don't feel a lot of real negativity unless u use the quote button - then maybe we will discuss it - that is the funnest part of these forums for most of us.

Opps now I went back & looked at the name of who posted this & I'm sure he knows what he is doing & I doubt he needs my lecture on this subject like a newer member :silly:

1 hour ago, Siouxman said:

I maybe worded that wrong.  Some players have not been playing 100% at all times.  Cole Smith has been noticeable in every game he has played for his effort.  Obviously there are others with more skill, but I don't know that I have seen anyone put out more effort that he does.  

That's a fair statement.