SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND @ MSU 3PM

geaux_sioux

26 minutes ago, homer said:

We will win more games this year with what we have than when we had that combo on offense.  

I'm aware of that. Our defense is the reason. My point was a guy like Hendrickson would be a nightmare for opponents in this offense. Especially if he had a couple of playmakers to chuck it to. 

Pretty ugly, but I'll take it. To go to MSU on their homecoming and win is huge. Nice work by the entire team. Some thoughts:

-Reyes played like a great player yesterday. He made some huge plays and had no coverage issues that hurt the team. Arnell also had a much better game than the last couple of weeks.

-Studsrud is not a great FCS quarterback, but he just doesn't make many big mistakes which is perfect for UND's offense and style of play. After seeing the disaster MSU had at the QB position it could be much worse for UND.

-Donnell Rodgers is going to be a great player at UND. In fact he is already very good.

-Coe had a great block while playing RT on the long TD run. Hate to see Cox get hurt, but maybe they found something here? Would be tough to roll with a freshman at center though.

-Not sure why all the hate for Rudolph. Everyone knows this is the style of play UND is going to use. The offensive line is new and they lost the home run hitter at WR. They are going to have to play close to the vest and try to win games this way.

-I'm not sure I would have gone with the all out blitz on the long pass play that MSU converted. The QBs had extreme accuracy issues, why not rush four and make MSU drive the field?

-Several of the penalties were killers. Have to be more disciplined.

-Game of the year next week. Beat Cal Poly and I think this team has a good shot of getting to 7 wins.

26 minutes ago, RD17 said:

Pretty ugly, but I'll take it. To go to MSU on their homecoming and win is huge. Nice work by the entire team. Some thoughts:

-Reyes played like a great player yesterday. He made some huge plays and had no coverage issues that hurt the team. Arnell also had a much better game than the last couple of weeks.

-Studsrud is not a great FCS quarterback, but he just doesn't make many big mistakes which is perfect for UND's offense and style of play. After seeing the disaster MSU had at the QB position it could be much worse for UND.

-Donnell Rodgers is going to be a great player at UND. In fact he is already very good.

-Coe had a great block while playing RT on the long TD run. Hate to see Cox get hurt, but maybe they found something here? Would be tough to roll with a freshman at center though.

-Not sure why all the hate for Rudolph. Everyone knows this is the style of play UND is going to use. The offensive line is new and they lost the home run hitter at WR. They are going to have to play close to the vest and try to win games this way.

-I'm not sure I would have gone with the all out blitz on the long pass play that MSU converted. The QBs had extreme accuracy issues, why not rush four and make MSU drive the field?

-Game of the year next week. Beat Cal Poly and I think this team has a good shot of getting to 7 wins.

Where do you see the other 2 losses then? If UND can beat Cal Poly, they shouldn't lose more than 1 more game the rest of regular schedule unless injuries and poor play calls pile up. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm sure it's gonna suck for him to get paid to play next year on a proffesional team.

That Wentz character came off an FCS squad. Will Ratelle received an opportunity. Cooper Kupp is currently playing in the BSC and he'll be playing on Sundays next year. It is possible for the FCS to produce capable NFL players, not to mention Golladay had to sit a year because of his move. 

41 minutes ago, RD17 said:

I mentioned that after the Bgsu game.  He is a big dude that can collapse immediately!!  He is a stud!!!!  Special things on the horizon as he's only a freshman! 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That Wentz character came off an FCS squad. Will Ratelle received an opportunity. Cooper Kupp is currently playing in the BSC and he'll be playing on Sundays next year. It is possible for the FCS to produce capable NFL players, not to mention Golladay had to sit a year because of his move. 

What if his reason to transfer was to be closer to family? I was pretty hurt when he transferred but I can't blame him. Back to back 1000 yard seasons in the MAC will get him noticed more than if he did it in the Big Sky.

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Why are you knocking a kid for doing something that greatly helped him? There was a lot of uncertainty with a new coaching staff and what not. He transferred closer to home and that decision may benefit his future greatly. 

49 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Why are you knocking a kid for doing something that greatly helped him? There was a lot of uncertainty with a new coaching staff and what not. He transferred closer to home and that decision may benefit his future greatly. 

I was not knocking the kid. If anything it was a knock on the makeup of UND teams under Mussman. Golladay made a commitment to the University of North Dakota when very few others gave him an opportunity, played on two poor teams, and then left when the times got tough. It undeniably hurt UND further. Some of his UND teammates were explicit in displaying their displeasure regarding Golladay's decision. Maybe he wanted to be closer to his family, but that just augments the fact that UND shouldn't recruit a large number of players from out of this area. Fortunately, Bubba has emphasized recruiting North Dakota and Minnesota far more than Mussman did.

Best of luck to Golladay; he has been putting up great numbers and he is a special talent. Would've been nice to see him finish out at UND. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I was not knocking the kid. He made a commitment to the University of North Dakota, played on two poor teams, and then left when the times got tough. It undeniably hurt UND further. Some of his UND teammates were explicit in displaying their displeasure regarding Golladay's decision. Maybe he wanted to be closer to his family, but that just augments the fact that UND shouldn't recruit a large number of players from out of this area. Fortunately, Bubba has emphasized recruiting North Dakota and Minnesota far more than Mussman did.

Best of luck to Golladay; he has been putting up great numbers and he is a special talent. Would've been nice to see him finish out at UND. 

I really can't knock him too much. Kenny got a chance to play in a higher division closer to home. Faison left the team without a coach for over a month and had little to no contact with the team. Faison's ineptitude and lack of planning cost the team several talented players who went FBS. And once we did get a coach, we instituted an offense that even Kenny would've had difficulty to shine in. 

Also, Kenny would've graduated last year had he not transferred, so he wouldn't be of any use to our offense anymore anyway. 

2 hours ago, RD17 said:

its not really hate...i just hate oc's that don't use the te!!!! especailly for young qb's like keaton...chad mustard was the last te we used regular

15 hours ago, homer said:

One of the all conference guys did transfer in when the staff got here and the other two were the two best olinemen that staff recruited while they were here.  Really broke out their senior years.  

You make a backhanded statement about the oline depth not being the old staffs fault right away and than state how terrible the pass protection was a few years ago.  It's not a stretch to state that Muss' staff did either not recruit or develop quality olinemen. 

Our QB didn't play bad yesterday.  Some untimely drops (I believe it was Toinivan early) and missed PI calls (Stanley, Toinivan and #34 I believe on 2nd last drive) hurt some drives he was leading.  

Nothing backhanded about my statement. I said I wasn't defending Mussman. I think we need to quit kicking a dead horse and move on.  I doubt Bubba is blaming Mussman for any problems we have this year. 

I didn't say Studsrud was bad, he has been inconsistent.  Our QB play has hurt us this year.  I think he is better when we utilize his strengths.  He wasn't bad, he wasn't good.  He was OK.  He will need to be better if we are going to be a good team.  "Didn't play badly" doesn't cut it. He needs to be a difference maker.  He was very good in the last drive against USD last week but before that he missed some open guys and most of his passes were off a bit.  He also was very slow getting the ball to open receivers. He has shown he is capable but if he is a captain and our QB that needs to be good every game.  That is why people on this blog have been critical.  People expect him to be a leader.   Time to step it up and play like he is capable of. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Nothing backhanded about my statement. I said I wasn't defending Mussman. I think we need to quit kicking a dead horse and move on.  I doubt Bubba is blaming Mussman for any problems we have this year. 

I didn't say Studsrud was bad, he has been inconsistent.  Our QB play has hurt us this year.  I think he is better when we utilize his strengths.  He wasn't bad, he wasn't good.  He was OK.  He will need to be better if we are going to be a good team.  "Didn't play badly" doesn't cut it. He needs to be a difference maker.  He was very good in the last drive against USD last week but before that he missed some open guys and most of his passes were off a bit.  He also was very slow getting the ball to open receivers. He has shown he is capable but if he is a captain and our QB that needs to be good every game.  That is why people on this blog have been critical.  People expect him to be a leader.   Time to step it up and play like he is capable of. 

Unless you think the Heidlebaugh kid from Rugby is ready to step in, Studsrud is our best option.

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Unless you think the Heidlebaugh kid from Rugby is ready to step in, Studsrud is our best option.

Water over the dam here but I really wish Mollberg would have gotten a look last year when Studsrud was hurt.  It would have been great to see what he could do with the line and running backs we had last then.  Good or bad it would have answered a lot of questions regarding what is our best option at QB.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

When he's in the pocket he locks on to a receiver as hard as anyone I have seen - he's much better on the move.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

its not really hate...i just hate oc's that don't use the te!!!! especailly for young qb's like keaton...chad mustard was the last te we used regular

Agree that the tight end probably needs to be used more. As much as defenses are keying on Santiago, I would think a play action pass to the tight end would be there all day and would loosen up defenses a bit. If they pulled the redshirt on Cloyd, why wasn't he used at all this week?

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Where do you see the other 2 losses then? If UND can beat Cal Poly, they shouldn't lose more than 1 more game the rest of regular schedule unless injuries and poor play calls pile up. 

UND will probably be favored in all the remaining games after next week, but with the lack of offense they will still be in some dogfights. Odds are that UND drops a game or two because the breaks and calls don't go their way on a given Saturday.

Also, the last time UND went an entire season with one quarterback was a long time ago I'm thinking. They are doing a nice job so far of trying to protect Studsrud physically, but if he were to miss any period of time they could literally lose to any team on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RD17 said:

UND will probably be favored in all the remaining games after next week, but with the lack of offense they will still be in some dogfights. Odds are that UND drops a game or two because the breaks and calls don't go their way on a given Saturday.

Also, the last time UND went an entire season with one quarterback was a long time ago I'm thinking. They are doing a nice job so far of trying to protect Studsrud physically, but if he were to miss any period of time they could literally lose to any team on the schedule.

That's fair. I hope the team can stay healthy and UND surprises us with a couple comfortable wins (10-14 point margin). 

On 9/25/2016 at 0:06 AM, geaux_sioux said:
Statistical Comparison UND MSU
 First Downs 17 17
 Total Offensive Yards 348 375
 Rushing Attempts-Yards 46-227 31-116
 Passing 12-22-0 15-37-3
 Passing Yards 121 259
 Penalties-Yards 11-102 9-56
 Turnovers 1 5
 Punts-Avg. 7-44.9 4-45.5
 Punt Returns-Avg. 0-0.0 2-2.0
 Kick Returns-Avg. 3-17.0 2-16.5
 3rd-Down Conversions 4-16 6-14
 4th-Down Conversions 1-1 0-0
 Time of Possession 33:50 26:10

11 penalties for 102 yards...... and we still win. Other way to look at it is 5 forced TOs and we still barely win.... we must improve. 

The number that makes me smile? Time of Possession

Look over the run that NDSU has gone on. They seldom lose the TOP battle. 

Play top tier defense and ball control offense.