SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND @ MSU 3PM

geaux_sioux

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

4 game sample is adequate sample size for me and I'm gonna take it and run with this:

UND is going to have to continue to win ugly, close games with its defense in 2016 because the offense is pedestrian in terms of talent. Perhaps the offensive line can improve some, but that remains to be seen. Come the offseason, the coaches best be looking to load the 2017 recruiting class with offensive talent at all positions. For now, I hope the coaches can work with what they got and produce some magic.

I agree 10000000000% with you on recruiting. We've been stacking the defense every year since Bubba got here and it has worked. He also tried stacking the OL but some unexpected circumstances have taken away from that. This staff can recruit. We need speed on o right now and a hand full of big fat and nasty SOBs to open holes for skill guys. Santiago is all world if you give him anything. He's been given next to nothing this year so far. Speed speed speed for this class. 

1 minute ago, Tangolou said:

Everybody's screaming about the play calling, maybe the play calling is what it is because of the personnel? The coaches recruit the players so that is on them. I've coached teams where my biggest concern was to just stay in the game till the end and see what happens. I think that's what we have got.

2 true freshman wide receivers...one summer transfer receiver, 4 new starting offensive linemen (one a transfer)...I think you are right...

• Upvote 1

I would agree putting Santiago in the slot when Brady O is in at RB is a good way to get your best players on the field at once. Jon didn't have his best day today but he'll bounce back.

one other thought was where was Cloyd at TE. If we are burning the shirt lets get him in there.

Love the way the D secondary is coming along. Also, we have a lot  of Freshman talent playing well on D right now. Like Wilson and Bennet on the D line and like Hunt at CB. Love Love Rodgers and Lawrence at LB. Good guys to have the next 4 years.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

Everybody's screaming about the play calling, maybe the play calling is what it is because of the personnel? The coaches recruit the players so that is on them. I've coached teams where my biggest concern was to just stay in the game till the end and see what happens. I think that's what we have got.

If that's what we got can we at least refrain from the #leavenodoubt rhetoric? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Today was a big win for the program. It wasn't pretty but it was a win. We haven't won many big road games in the Big Sky and today we did. I made the drive to Bozeman one year and the team forgot to get off the bus. It was bad.

Defense played lights out today. Got a little agressive on their last td drive. Offensively we are getting better but we aren't good enough to overcome dropped passes, missed passes, missed assignments by the oline, and holes by the running backs. We need our backs to hit the hole hard each time. Get us 2nd-7 not 2nd-11. I've noticed several times this year where the hole was there but we tried to hit the homerun. The 3rd and short by the goaline is an example. The first was there but Brady tried to bounce it and was stopped short. That being said Brady ran very well overall today!

Next week is a huge game. Let's go Hawks. 

12 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

I think the issue with the play calling is the predictability. I agree you have to work with what you have, but run, run, throw, is getting old. Especially when everyone on this board, and their team knows its coming. Studs is not a pocket passer. More play action passes and rollouts would help. Utilizing TEs as well. Not saying it will be a full turn around, but you need to do something different, because the gameplan we have used through 4 games has been ugly and is not working at its best.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, homer said:

Shame on the marketing department for trying to build excitement in the offseason.  

The offseason marketing department produced how many wins so far? Hype only goes so far before the body of work takes over. 

Now with that being said a win over Poly could set this team up for a 7 game winning streak before NAU as I see them being a better FB team 3-4 weeks from now.

Whether we are 4-0, 2-2, or 0-4. the face remains the same, that this defense is pretty damn good, and this offense has some work to do. It starts on the line, and works its way outward. If this team finds a way to grow through out the season and make the playoffs, it will mean that they have found some degree of offensive consistency. And if they do make the playoffs, it will likely mean that they are going in having won a bundle of games in a row.

Hitting the playoffs on a hot streak is important, and yes i'm all in on playoffs, until there is a legit reason not to be.

Beat Poly!!!

• Upvote 2

It wasn't real pretty offensively, but it was a win and that is what matters.  There is plenty of room for improvement all over the field, but in the grand scheme of things this team has won two in a row, 5 of their last 7, and is in first place in the Big Sky conference.  Everything it wants to accomplish is still there in front of them.

Bring on Cal Poly.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BigGame said:

How much credit does Coach Stepps get for the improved play in the secondary?  Outside of a handful of busted coverages they have been a very improved part of the team. 

Agree.  Opportunistic too.  Already more interceptions in 4 games this season than any entire prior year since 2012.  Just need two more picks to surpass that year......

The front 7 has been fun to watch since Bubba got here.  Now that secondary is rising to the occasion as well.

Does Deion Harris need to sit next week? He didn't even get a pick six this week? No room at UND for that kind of inconsistency. Kid set a standard with a pick 6 the last 2 weeks .... can't let up now. Apparently the kids head is getting too big.

Completely joking, please no backlash on this.

2 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Is this kind of like your "NAIA corners" comment from last year?  

When two of your top 4 WRs are out you end up with true freshman.  

When you lose three all conference O lineman you end up with youth across the board. 

They don't have time to throw long.  And they don't have anybody who can go long.  

Was Rudolph in over his head last year when John ran for 1,459 yards?  

At least we agree on the obvious.

1459 was all Rudolph.........got it.