SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND @ MSU 3PM

geaux_sioux

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Where was that little WR who was fast as lightning last year? Is he still on your team? Didn't think he was a senior last year.

Paige and Gates. Gates is out with injury(undisclosed) Paige underutilized caught the first of two long passes Saturday. He has been hindered with a foot injury.

Both are juniors.

1 hour ago, KWCAT said:

Congrats on a hard fought win.

Lot of questions on here about Studsrud. Bottom line he did what he needed to do and  your OC called a game that exploited our only weaknesses at key times.

Santiago really took some shots Saturday. You had quite a few guys get banged up again Saturday. Hopefully no hangover coming up.

Go get CP this week. I will be watching and pulling for you. Am curious to see the outcome to try and figure out how MSU stacks up this year.

Thanks.  Good luck to the cats on the rest of the season.  Newell is a beast.  I hope is alright next week.  I was surprised be came back in the 2nd half. 

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

These would of been a huge impact- Grady and merz were big time gets but both are gone. Those two would of done some damage this year.  

These will be impact players- Nguon and helgren.  Both currently Redshirting 

Coe seems to be making a little impact as well and believe Aplin is a good get.  

Yes, but they have to retain players. That's the trick, especially on the offensive line.

1 hour ago, homer said:

If there is a position that is the most difficult to make an impact at immediately it is o line.  Very few 18-19 year old men can come in and complete right away.  

Agree, but that's why you need a couple of impact recruits on the offensive line every year and you have to retain those players.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Not exactly. He's just not capable of dragging a couple guys like Olivera. Right now that's what the OL is providing on most plays.

This was my take from Saturday as well.  Olivera can bang and power out some yards when there isn't much there.  Santiago needs our OL to create more space than they are doing right now.

I think they should have both Santiago and Olivera in the backfield at the same time as often as they can. It should open up some room for both or you could put Santiago in motion and line him up as a WR. I'll admit I'm not the greatest football mind, but with the lack of big time offensive players shouldn't you have both of them on the field as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Colter_Nuanez said:

If you rematch the game, you will see Montana State had a very specific package they ran when Santiago was in the game. The Bobcats went away from it when he was not. With Santiago in the backfield, MSU played what amounted to three down lineman with two outside linebackers on the line, two inside linebackers over the guards and a safety right behind the two inside linebackers. Nine men in the box, corners on islands. The game plan was to force UND into third and longs, which worked. 

Montana State played a base defense with Oliveira in the game, which aided in his elevated production. 

This is obviously over Rudolph's head.  Nine in the box and he can't call even for a tight end.  What a putz.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Colter_Nuanez said:

If you rematch the game, you will see Montana State had a very specific package they ran when Santiago was in the game. The Bobcats went away from it when he was not. With Santiago in the backfield, MSU played what amounted to three down lineman with two outside linebackers on the line, two inside linebackers over the guards and a safety right behind the two inside linebackers. Nine men in the box, corners on islands. The game plan was to force UND into third and longs, which worked. 

Montana State played a base defense with Oliveira in the game, which aided in his elevated production. 

Nice tip... I didn't see that...

13 hours ago, homer said:

If there is a position that is the most difficult to make an impact at immediately it is o line.  Very few 18-19 year old men can come in and complete right away.  

Really sucks to have lost both Grady and Merz. Both would have made this line and team exponentially better.

I will throw a little bit of credit to our receivers. I know there have been a few drops, which I'll chalk up to youth. But for the most part I feel pretty comfortable that if a ball is in the area, they will come down with it. Stanley has done a nice job of this, and is only a sophmore. Toivenen also looks the part considering how young he is. And Wanzek has certainly shown some flashes. None of which are speed guys, but its nice to have some reliable guys that will come down with the ball.

Absolutely nothing against Carr, but I do think Stanley would have come down with that 2 pt conversion at BGSU. Then again, most other times, I think Carr would have come down with it too.

Just wish we had Clive in there to open up some room, and spread the defense out a bit. Hopefully we can find another speedy drop down or Juco guy for next season, until we get some speedy recruits in. Anyone know if there is any potential for a medical RS? I've heard both ways on here, but nothing very definitive.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I will throw a little bit of credit to our receivers. I know there have been a few drops, which I'll chalk up to youth. But for the most part I feel pretty comfortable that if a ball is in the area, they will come down with it. Stanley has done a nice job of this, and is only a sophmore. Toivenen also looks the part considering how young he is. And Wanzek has certainly shown some flashes. None of which are speed guys, but its nice to have some reliable guys that will come down with the ball.

Absolutely nothing against Carr, but I do think Stanley would have come down with that 2 pt conversion at BGSU. Then again, most other times, I think Carr would have come down with it too.

Just wish we had Clive in there to open up some room, and spread the defense out a bit. Hopefully we can find another speedy drop down or Juco guy for next season, until we get some speedy recruits in. Anyone know if there is any potential for a medical RS? I've heard both ways on here, but nothing very definitive.

Coach on the Monday night Quarterback show said that Clive was going to apply for medical hardship, so there's that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

http://www.undsports.com//fls/13500/pdf/Football Scores/2001/Und vs Central Washington.pdf

I know a lot of people keep dogging on the playcalling and the offensive performance, and it's true that there is still a lot of work to be done...but take a look at the link above.  This is a box score from UND's season opening win over Central Washington during the 2001 National Championship year.  If you look at these stats, and compare them to our stats vs MSU...I seem some striking similarities on offense (almost 2-1 rushing vs passing yards, winning time of possession by over 8 minutes).  Our head coach and DC were both part of this team, and that year we won a fair amount of close games by relying on our defense.  I think we are going to see UND continue to move back to this style over the next few years, and I think it can be successful again.  Are there teams in the Big Sky that we should be able to beat by 20 or more?  Yes...just like there were in the NCC.  But against the marquee teams...we are going to play a grind it out, minimize mistakes type of game and lean on our defense.  I expect our offense to gain efficiency as experience comes, and cut down on penalties...but we aren't going to consistently score 40+ a game, because we won't play a style of football that allows for this (we won't be running 90+ plays per game under Bubba).

Solid 14th post!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

http://www.undsports.com//fls/13500/pdf/Football Scores/2001/Und vs Central Washington.pdf

I know a lot of people keep dogging on the playcalling and the offensive performance, and it's true that there is still a lot of work to be done...but take a look at the link above.  This is a box score from UND's season opening win over Central Washington during the 2001 National Championship year.  If you look at these stats, and compare them to our stats vs MSU...I seem some striking similarities on offense (almost 2-1 rushing vs passing yards, winning time of possession by over 8 minutes).  Our head coach and DC were both part of this team, and that year we won a fair amount of close games by relying on our defense.  I think we are going to see UND continue to move back to this style over the next few years, and I think it can be successful again.  Are there teams in the Big Sky that we should be able to beat by 20 or more?  Yes...just like there were in the NCC.  But against the marquee teams...we are going to play a grind it out, minimize mistakes type of game and lean on our defense.  I expect our offense to gain efficiency as experience comes, and cut down on penalties...but we aren't going to consistently score 40+ a game, because we won't play a style of football that allows for this (we won't be running 90+ plays per game under Bubba).

I agree with the part of what you are saying, and I think you make some solid points, with some nice observations.

Only issue is we are now playing more talented teams than Central Washington, and I don't think people (at least myself) are arguing that we need to have MORE play calls, or a high scoring offense, but we need to have a more efficient offense.

Sustained drives, changing up play calling so we are not consistently 3rd and long, more utilization of the TEs ... Now this does not all fall on the OC and his play calling. Some of it is execution by the QB, WR, RB and OL, but the OC can also call plays to the strength and weaknesses of this team. I've said several times, that Keaton tends to throw well on the run, trying to get him out of the pocket a little more would give him some opportunities to either make a throw on the run, or pick up some yards with his feet.

To you point, we will not be an offense like USD, but we can try to find a balance that best utilizes the talent we have. (as many have mentioned, Santiago should almost never be off the field, he should be at RB, or at WR as both a receiver and a decoy. That is a coaching decision.

Is all of the play calling hate warranted ... probably not, but it certainly is to a point. Especially after 4 weeks of inconsistent and fairly anemic play. Gotta make some adjustments.

• Upvote 2