SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND @ MSU 3PM

geaux_sioux

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I would like to think that there is a balance they could find between how they are using Studs right now, and how we saw Streveler play. Not saying he needs to make more risky throws, but could perhaps be given more opportunities to call plays that play to his strengths (throwing on the move or using his feet).

I would also say the running game will open up a bit when you use a few more bootlegs, rollouts, and get the passing threat going. I get that using PA is dependent on faking the run, but my point is to get Keaton out of the pocket, and give himself time to find a receiver on the move, or make a run. Not all the time, but they could definitely mix this in a bit more.

I think we can agree, that if the O-Line can play a little more consistently, and with fewer penalties, it will help both the running and passing game.

Yes, the offensive line is the whole key. If they were playing like the line did at the end of last year, it would open up all kinds of possibilities for the offense, even with the limitations at wide receiver.

I know I have been hard on Bubba on this forum. But I do believe he is attempting to build this program the right way philosophically, especially when you consider UND's geography and the types of athletes that are available. He has done a nice job rebuilding the defense. I particularly like the length UND now has at corner and the quickness and pass coverage skills we see out of the linebackers.

However, offensive line is still a big sore spot and I don't see any Bubba recruits that are making a huge impact in 2016 which is something I thought we would see by now. To compete at a championship level in FCS football, UND needs to bring in a couple of Stockwell level talents each season and I don't see that happening. Hopefully that changes soon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RD17 said:

Yes, the offensive line is the whole key. If they were playing like the line did at the end of last year, it would open up all kinds of possibilities for the offense, even with the limitations at wide receiver.

I know I have been hard on Bubba on this forum. But I do believe he is attempting to build this program the right way philosophically, especially when you consider UND's geography and the types of athletes that are available. He has done a nice job rebuilding the defense. I particularly like the length UND now has at corner and the quickness and pass coverage skills we see out of the linebackers.

However, offensive line is still a big sore spot and I don't see any Bubba recruits that are making a huge impact in 2016 which is something I thought we would see by now. To compete at a championship level in FCS football, UND needs to bring in a couple of Stockwell level talents each season and I don't see that happening. Hopefully that changes soon.

These would of been a huge impact- Grady and merz were big time gets but both are gone. Those two would of done some damage this year.  

These will be impact players- Nguon and helgren.  Both currently Redshirting 

Coe seems to be making a little impact as well and believe Aplin is a good get.  

13 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Does anyone think sitting Santiago was a little harsh ? 

I know it turned out good

But Santiago has been really good ...right ?

They didn't sit him. Not sure what you don't understand about that. He was in on carries late in the game. He just wasn't as effective as Olivera so the coaches made an obvious choice.

Interesting....rewatching Brady's first TD at the end of the first half....shortly after the announcers said last year UND only threw the ball 11 times the whole game, and we had thrown the ball 11 times in the first half against them this past Saturday.  I know people want to pass more.....but we did pass more than last year against them.  I do agree with many though on the use of TE's and roll outs a bit more to mix up our plays could be better.  We had 22 pass attempts against MSU, I think between 20-25 is all we want a game. 

2 hours ago, RD17 said:

If there is a position that is the most difficult to make an impact at immediately it is o line.  Very few 18-19 year old men can come in and complete right away.  

34 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Interesting....rewatching Brady's first TD at the end of the first half....shortly after the announcers said last year UND only threw the ball 11 times the whole game, and we had thrown the ball 11 times in the first half against them this past Saturday.  I know people want to pass more.....but we did pass more than last year against them.  I do agree with many though on the use of TE's and roll outs a bit more to mix up our plays could be better.  We had 22 pass attempts against MSU, I think between 20-25 is all we want a game. 

One of the missed PI calls was against Feidler. They like to use him late in games as a surprise it seems. I want to see he and Cloyd used more. Love me some TE action in the passing game. It's a real pain in the ass of the defense.

• Upvote 1

Congrats on a hard fought win.

Lot of questions on here about Studsrud. Bottom line he did what he needed to do and  your OC called a game that exploited our only weaknesses at key times.

Santiago really took some shots Saturday. You had quite a few guys get banged up again Saturday. Hopefully no hangover coming up.

Go get CP this week. I will be watching and pulling for you. Am curious to see the outcome to try and figure out how MSU stacks up this year.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, KWCAT said:

Congrats on a hard fought win.

Lot of questions on here about Studsrud. Bottom line he did what he needed to do and  your OC called a game that exploited our only weaknesses at key times.

Santiago really took some shots Saturday. You had quite a few guys get banged up again Saturday. Hopefully no hangover coming up.

Go get CP this week. I will be watching and pulling for you. Am curious to see the outcome to try and figure out how MSU stacks up this year.

There are still many questions about both of our teams. I'm having fewer and fewer about our secondary which is a strange feeling. We'll see if they can hold their water against this hell option attack from Poly. They have some athletes. I really like your coach, he's a straight shooter.

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

There are still many questions about both of our teams. I'm having fewer and fewer about our secondary which is a strange feeling. We'll see if they can hold their water against this hell option attack from Poly. They have some athletes. I really like your coach, he's a straight shooter.

I really like Choate. He will have to get our offense figured out. We have talent unused right now.

6 minutes ago, Northcountry said:

Not playing?  He had, what, 19 carries to Olivera's 22?  Go with the hot hand, but remember where you keep your stash.

If you rematch the game, you will see Montana State had a very specific package they ran when Santiago was in the game. The Bobcats went away from it when he was not. With Santiago in the backfield, MSU played what amounted to three down lineman with two outside linebackers on the line, two inside linebackers over the guards and a safety right behind the two inside linebackers. Nine men in the box, corners on islands. The game plan was to force UND into third and longs, which worked. 

Montana State played a base defense with Oliveira in the game, which aided in his elevated production. 

• Upvote 2