SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Again were you at the hockey game Friday?

Simple question.

No, but I received plenty of criticism during the regular season at the Ralph while using my season tickets. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I was. Some of the reactions I got to the Hawks shirt I had on didn't do anything to change my mind about there being a "hockey-only" group who's main concern is a retired logo. Not at all accusing you of being in that group, just stating my experience. 

jdub27 confirmed my suspicions that some of the vocal "Fighting Sioux Forever" and "anti-new nickname" individuals made their way to Scheels Arena as well. I certianly saw plenty of Fighting Sioux gear on ESPN2. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

So you were the "popularity" trend according to UND FB FAN Friday. That's awesome. Congrats!

Trying to spin this away from my intentions, huh? How do you not understand my post regarding this? jdub27 was not a part of the said popularity trend, but rather on the opposite side of it. Rather the popularity trend, as evidenced by social media and hockey game chants, is to oppose the new nickname and sport Fighting Sioux gear. Reread my aforementioned post more carefully. 

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

All this pic proves is how awful Adidas is at polo shirts.  Two-toned white and green and let's throw some horizontal stripes in there too?  

It proved how open Bubba was to the change and the grudge Berry still holds, also with the football team you hear "go Hawks" at basketball games, from the hockey players you see then with a Sioux banner. What's gonna happen when you have some players keeping that grudge and some embracing the new name in the locker room and on the ice? You end up with the same crap fans are dealing with on social media, message boards and in public. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, but I received plenty of criticism during the regular season at the Ralph while using my season tickets. 

jdub27 confirmed my suspicions that some of the vocal "Fighting Sioux Forever" and "anti-new nickname" individuals made their way to Scheels Arena as well. I certianly saw plenty of Fighting Sioux gear on ESPN2. 

Trying to spin this away from my intentions, huh? How do you not understand my post regarding this? jdub27 was not a part of the said popularity trend, but rather on the opposite side of it. Rather the popularity trend, as evidenced by social media and hockey game chants, is to oppose the new nickname and sport Fighting Sioux gear. Reread my aforementioned post more carefully. 

Someone would post on FB a petition to bring the Sioux name back. A lot of people were pissed at anyone accepting the new name. I just have to say if you don't want to see a Fighting Hawk on the ice don't go to the games. I am sure a lot of people would love to snatch up those tickets. Attendance will not falter due to a name change. It's the performance in the ice that makes a difference.

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Someone would post on FB a petition to bring the Sioux name back. A lot of people were pissed at anyone accepting the new name. I just have to say if you don't want to see a Fighting Hawk on the ice don't go to the games. I am sure a lot of people would love to snatch up those tickets. Attendance will not falter due to a name change. It's the performance in the ice that makes a difference

That is the crux of the problem, you have two extreme camps. People who want the old nickname and logo back so badly that they won't tolerate anything but complete and total hatred of the new nickname, and people who think that an resistance or criticism of the new nickname or especially the new logo is tantamount to being an NDSU/ Gopher fan. Am I a fan of the new nickname? No, but I concede that it could of been an hell of a lot worse ... Sundogs... *shudder*. Am I a fan of the new logo... not in the slightest, but it could have been worse. They took very few risks with it an what we got was bland and generic, but that's not going to stop me from waking up at 8am to watch the games online- for obvious reasons I can't really go to the hockey or football games.

As much as we may bitch and whine about our distaste for the new logo or name, its not stopping people from teams or the athletes, its just that not everyone is ready to call them the fighting hawks. Both extreme sides need to get over there !@#$, the Fighting Sioux nickname is not coming back in any official capacity, also whether people continue to wear the old UND or Sioux stuff and use sioux cheers is not going to affect recruiting, Its going to take time for everyone to warm up to this new nickname.... okay rant over.

• Upvote 3

The crux of the "ZOMGHOCKEYGETONBOARD!" group seems to be that flag on the ice last spring.  It looks to me like it was signed by FANS and was probably tossed on the ice by them.  I doubt that it was stashed on the bench as a "gotcha" moment when the game ended. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

The crux of the "ZOMGHOCKEYGETONBOARD!" group seems to be that flag on the ice last spring.  It looks to me like it was signed by FANS and was probably tossed on the ice by them.  I doubt that it was stashed on the bench as a "gotcha" moment when the game ended. 

You are correct, some fans handed it over the glass for the players.

Is there a way the moderators can pin this thread somewhere so it doesn't keep showing up on the main page? Or at the very least can whoever started this thread maybe change the thread title?

Every time I open Siouxsports.com I see this question and the answer stays the same. Our sh!t tier logo isn't going to get any better. It is still the same unimaginative steaming pile of crap as when it was first revealed.....I am not sure how many months or years from now they will realize that at the very least it needs to be tweaked if not completely overhauled, then, and only then would this "question" deserve an answer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

That is the crux of the problem, you have two extreme camps. People who want the old nickname and logo back so badly that they won't tolerate anything but complete and total hatred of the new nickname, and people who think that an resistance or criticism of the new nickname or especially the new logo is tantamount to being an NDSU/ Gopher fan. Am I a fan of the new nickname? No, but I concede that it could of been an hell of a lot worse ... Sundogs... *shudder*. Am I a fan of the new logo... not in the slightest, but it could have been worse. They took very few risks with it an what we got was bland and generic, but that's not going to stop me from waking up at 8am to watch the games online- for obvious reasons I can't really go to the hockey or football games.

As much as we may bitch and whine about our distaste for the new logo or name, its not stopping people from teams or the athletes, its just that not everyone is ready to call them the fighting hawks. Both extreme sides need to get over there !@#$, the Fighting Sioux nickname is not coming back in any official capacity, also whether people continue to wear the old UND or Sioux stuff and use sioux cheers is not going to affect recruiting, Its going to take time for everyone to warm up to this new nickname.... okay rant over.

Agree with most of this...except

Am I a fan of the new logo... not in the slightest, but it could have been worse. I would question is this is possible?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So are you of the opinion that it's not possible to both support the new nickname and still wear Fighting Sioux gear? Are we supposed to burn it all?  I'm all for moving forward with the way our teams are marketed and branded, but I will also always wear my Sioux gear with pride as a nod to the past.  If the new hockey jerseys look nice I'll buy one. I never felt the need to replace my Sioux jersey with a North Dakota one.

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

FIGHTING arched above the number on the front and HAWKS underneath it on the home jerseys.  NORTH and DAKOTA replacing that on the green roads.  Green shoulder yokes at home, white for the roadies.  Lace-up collar.

I'm on it!

I think I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. 

• Start with the base jerseys of today* (sans lettering, numbers, and the interlocked ND).
  • Put the new logo on the shoulder (replacing the interlocked ND). That's it for the logo for now. 
  • Use the new font on the jersey (front and back) for letters ... and numbers? 
  • Change the homes from "North Dakota" to "Fighting Hawks". 

*I do believe we'll need to tweek the current jersey shade of green so we don't conflict with the logo (which is defined at Pantone 347). 

Sample before I cut check. ;) 

1 hour ago, streetsahead said:

So are you of the opinion that it's not possible to both support the new nickname and still wear Fighting Sioux gear? Are we supposed to burn it all?  I'm all for moving forward with the way our teams are marketed and branded, but I will also always wear my Sioux gear with pride as a nod to the past.  If the new hockey jerseys look nice I'll buy one. I never felt the need to replace my Sioux jersey with a North Dakota one.

No, I do not have that opinion. I am making stark comments only to prove a point. I honestly don't care what people wear with one caveat.

My concern is that EVERYONE understands that the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo are no longer official, are permanently retired, and, as such, it is not appropriate to criticize UND administration, coaches, student-athletes and/or fans for supporting the current, official logo and nickname. Everyone is certainly allowed free speech and a right to their own personal opinion so long as it does not impinge on others; unfortunately, many "Fighting Sioux Forever" folks are overstepping these boundaries. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, I do not have that opinion. I am making stark comments only to prove a point. I honestly don't care what people wear with one caveat.

My concern is that EVERYONE understands that the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo are no longer official, are permanently retired, and, as such, it is not appropriate to criticize UND administration, coaches, student-athletes and/or fans for supporting the current, official logo and nickname. Everyone is certainly allowed free speech and a right to their own personal opinion so long as it does not impinge on others; unfortunately, many "Fighting Sioux Forever" folks are overstepping these boundaries. 

Got it. I agree completely with that sentiment.

There is resistance from a lot of fans with the new name and logo.  This we all know.  There are people that absolutely refuse to accept the new name and logo and will proudly wear their Fighting Sioux gear till the day they die and never utter the word "Fighting Hawks" unless they are ripping on it.  That attitude is unfortunate, but kind of expected.  People resist change.  It's human nature.  What many are saying here about Berry is that he needs to be supporting the University and the athletic department in the re branding initiative with the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  He is an employee of the University.  Not saying he has to be talking about hoe great the Fighting Hawks name and logo is at every press conference.  But he is barely even acknowledging right now.  Maybe there was one time he wore a Fighting Hawks polo during an interview.  But 99% of the time, he is not.  AS the coach of the highest profile sport at UND, he has an opportunity and IMO and obligation to support the new name and logo.  Fans can show resistance all they want.  But as an employee in the athletic department, he has shown little to no support for the Fighting Hawks name and logo and the re branding process UND is going through.  And that is embarrassing.   

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

UND hockey has NEVER won a game with the butt Fugly hawk logo on the ice.

They never won a championship wearing the Brien logo either but they have won one while known as the Fighting Hawks. So what is your point?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There is resistance from a lot of fans with the new name and logo.  This we all know.  There are people that absolutely refuse to accept the new name and logo and will proudly wear their Fighting Sioux gear till the day they die and never utter the word "Fighting Hawks" unless they are ripping on it.  That attitude is unfortunate, but kind of expected.  People resist change.  It's human nature.  What many are saying here about Berry is that he needs to be supporting the University and the athletic department in the re branding initiative with the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  He is an employee of the University.  Not saying he has to be talking about hoe great the Fighting Hawks name and logo is at every press conference.  But he is barely even acknowledging right now.  Maybe there was one time he wore a Fighting Hawks polo during an interview.  But 99% of the time, he is not.  AS the coach of the highest profile sport at UND, he has an opportunity and IMO and obligation to support the new name and logo.  Fans can show resistance all they want.  But as an employee in the athletic department, he has shown little to no support for the Fighting Hawks name and logo and the re branding process UND is going through.  And that is embarrassing.   

I completely agree. He is *officially* a University employee and therefore he should support the *official* nickname and logo.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The question I have with the resistance to the name is how much of it is fueled by how botched the nickname process was?  I'm in no way saying that if it would have been better all of it would have gone away, but would it be enough to make a significant difference? Sure there might be some that will say it didn't matter, but how much hate the name because of how it came about

Another way to ask the question is:  If we had a better transition to the Fighting Hawks name (lets assume it ends up the same for whatever reason in this hypothetical) and logo, would there be as much divisiveness as we see now?

My thoughts are that if the process wasn't a three ring circus, it would be better accepted.  There still would be some pushback and holdouts but I don't think it would be as extreme.

• Upvote 2

There are still folks out there cheering for everything from the the Stanford Indians to the Dickinson State Savages. 

Heck, I'm sure there are Grand Forks Central fans still calling them Redskins. 

The word is anachronism. 

I believe if the process wouldn't have been a three ring circus we would not be called the Fighting Hawks. Although there is little research or experience from other universities on what would have been a correct process there is now research/experience on how not to do it thanks to UND. I am one that accepts the change to Fighting Hawks because it was time, but I was a Fighting Sioux as a student and that won't change. Also I have plenty of Fighting Sioux gear I intend to keep wearing to every game I attend I highly doubt anyone of merit will ever say anything to me about it.  

18 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The question I have with the resistance to the name is how much of it is fueled by how botched the nickname process was?  I'm in no way saying that if it would have been better all of it would have gone away, but would it be enough to make a significant difference? Sure there might be some that will say it didn't matter, but how much hate the name because of how it came about

Another way to ask the question is:  If we had a better transition to the Fighting Hawks name (lets assume it ends up the same for whatever reason in this hypothetical) and logo, would there be as much divisiveness as we see now?

My thoughts are that if the process wasn't a three ring circus, it would be better accepted.  There still would be some pushback and holdouts but I don't think it would be as extreme.

Valid point. There were a lot of factors that made it a three-ring circus, the administration being only one.  The high intense public and media interest, hyperfueled by Social Media exacerbated things big time.  No one could do anything related to the transition without an open-records request inquiring what anyone had for breakfast that morning and what side of the bed they rose from. Then you had the whole dynamic of social media that let everyone with a device and a connection tell everyone their "professional" opinion on what was happening and how much they hated this or that. The irresponsible (meaning no one had to truly own their comments/opinions beyond their pseudonymous screen name) and anonymous scrutiny was white hot.  It was a perfect recipe for a gong show regardless. It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

There are still folks out there cheering for everything from the the Stanford Indians to the Dickinson State Savages. 

Heck, I'm sure there are Grand Forks Central fans still calling them Redskins. 

The word is anachronism. 

I grew up in Dickinson (1976-1993) and attended two years at Dickinson State in the late 80s early 90s before coming to UND. Went to hundreds of Blue Hawk football and basketball games in my youth, too. That anyone even mentioned or remembered "Savages" then or now is overstating it just a bit.  Can't speak for Stanford... but the old Redskins is pretty much an oscure footnote these days around Forks. I am sure I can find some diehards from Grand Forks Central... but the passion doesn't even register on the give-a-crap scale in comparison to what we have at UND.