SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

I went to a couple of practices this week.  Some thoughts (many are similar to Teeder's, SFI and others, so I'm not exactly breaking much news here).

- RBs look good.  Much depth behind Santiago.  If he gets hurt there is not as much reason to worry as there will be if Keaton or an OT goes down.  Austin Gordon missing some time this week.

- If you have never been to a practice and you're in the area, do yourself a favor.  It moves crisply and efficiently in 5 minute segments.  Energy is high.  It's fun to be there.

- Our new center Coe never loses a 1-1 matchup.  Too many of his snaps end on the ground, though.  Since he's new to the position that's to be expected but it's got to get cleaned up quickly.  He is very wide in stature.

- On the contrary the freshmen OLs lose every 1-1 drill.  Or it sure seems that way.  I'm guessing it's that way every year with the new guys... it's such a big jump in competition and technique.  Plus there are no freshmen DLs to go against so they are going against older guys the whole time.  Obviously this will pay off over time.  But for now the difference in lineman that have experience and those who don't is obvious.

- Keaton looks outstanding.  Arm looks great, carries himself with confidence.

- The new DB coach, Coach Stepps, is a quiet coach.  Not a lot of yelling.  But he's always teaching.

- The lack of depth with the DBs and OL (especially OT) is concerning.  Losing three OTs in last year's class and having Helgren not participating is not ideal.  And being forced to rely on any true freshman in the defensive backfield in this conference is not ideal, either.

- Some of the punting was concerning.  The transfer punter looked better as the practice went on.

Overall I am very excited about this season after what I saw.  Everything is lining up for a good year this year... but an even better year in 2017.  Bring on Stoney Brook!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I went to a couple of practices this week.  Some thoughts (many are similar to Teeder's, SFI and others, so I'm not exactly breaking much news here).

- RBs look good.  Much depth behind Santiago.  If he gets hurt there is not as much reason to worry as there will be if Keaton or an OT goes down.  Austin Gordon missing some time this week.

- If you have never been to a practice and you're in the area, do yourself a favor.  It moves crisply and efficiently in 5 minute segments.  Energy is high.  It's fun to be there.

- Our new center Coe never loses a 1-1 matchup.  Too many of his snaps end on the ground, though.  Since he's new to the position that's to be expected but it's got to get cleaned up quickly.  He is very wide in stature.

- On the contrary the freshmen OLs lose every 1-1 drill.  Or it sure seems that way.  I'm guessing it's that way every year with the new guys... it's such a big jump in competition and technique.  Plus there are no freshmen DLs to go against so they are going against older guys the whole time.  Obviously this will pay off over time.  But for now the difference in lineman that have experience and those who don't is obvious.

- Keaton looks outstanding.  Arm looks great, carries himself with confidence.

- The new DB coach, Coach Stepps, is a quiet coach.  Not a lot of yelling.  But he's always teaching.

- The lack of depth with the DBs and OL (especially OT) is concerning.  Losing three OTs in last year's class and having Helgren not participating is not ideal.  And being forced to rely on any true freshman in the defensive backfield in this conference is not ideal, either.

- Some of the punting was concerning.  The transfer punter looked better as the practice went on.

Overall I am very excited about this season after what I saw.  Everything is lining up for a good year this year... but an even better year in 2017.  Bring on Stoney Brook!

Thanks for the update.

SFI reporting tyus is out now too.  They mentioned they're a little concerned about it.  Last years two starting cbs are currently injured.  This postion just seems jinxed!

Deion will be back as his is a hammy, although hammys occasionally have a tendency to linger all season, we'll see.   Out of need, a ton of shirts are going to be pulled at that position. Randolph, holm and not sure if Torrey is considered a true fresh or not?  Regardless, it seems like this position is always depending on a true freshman or newcomers to play significant minutes.  This years class of freshman have some very nice talent, but obviously lack the experience needed to succeed.  

Hoping for no more injuries 

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Great news Teeder. Hope everything went well.

I will definitely be there.  I'm going to be watching the secondary with a fine eye as this position has me worried.  

Yes this is starting to worry me more too as the season approaches, as well as the OL, particularly the depth.  These are obvious things that have been a concert all off season, but definitely starting to worry more as we get closer.  WR seems to be a nice surprise as that was a worry a couple months ago but it seems like we'll be ok there.

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Yes this is starting to worry me more too as the season approaches, as well as the OL, particularly the depth.  These are obvious things that have been a concert all off season, but definitely starting to worry more as we get closer.  WR seems to be a nice surprise as that was a worry a couple months ago but it seems like we'll be ok there.

Yup, I agree

My concerns : in no particular order. 

1. If Keaton goes down, who's the next man up? Keaton is a must to remain healthy.  A must!!

2. Wr.  Outside of Clive, who is the guy that can keep defenses honest. He seems to be the only one with break away speed. With him in, the safeties job becomes more difficult and need to play off the ball a little bit more. This also helps the run game.  I do like the depth we have here this year. Sure handed possession style bigger physical players. These new guys need to show they can get separation at the line to help keeping Keaton healthy. 

3. Cb. Love the freshman guys but they are just that.....freshman. Deion needs to remain healthy.  

4. Safety. Depth.   If cole goes down....ouch!  Also hoping arnells leg holds up! 

5 ol depth.  Love the starting 5 plus Aplin and miller but after that its basically all freshman and big question marks.   One fresh that I wish was healthy is Helgren, he is one put-together massive guy.  Think he might of had a chance to have his shirt pulled.  

So so concerns:

1.  punting 

No concerns:

1.  DE

2. Nose 

3. RB

4. TE

5.  K 

6. LB

7. OLB

8. LS :)

7 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Beautiful warm and sunny morning at Memorial Stadium for the first live scrimmage of fall camp.  A very nice crowd, too, showed up to watch the scrimmage/practice that saw the Fighting Hawks work on a number of situational scenarios, i.e. red zone, goal-to-go, punt returning and lots of live 11 on 11. 

UND President Mark Kennedy and AD Brian Faison were in attendance, as were a number of UND men's basketballers, such as Q, Geno, Tez, Josh Collins, Shanks and Drick.

The teams looked a little rusty today from my perspective, but they each had there moments and highlights. Too many bad snaps today. They were pretty evenly matched, but I would give a slight edge to the defense as having the better of the two sides today.

Here are some of the highlights:

In the Red Zone:

* You don't say this every day, but there was a nice Bartels to TE Mollberg pass over the middle. Mollberg looked strong and confident and gained first down yardage.

* Heidelberg took the majority of snaps as Studrud's back up. Heidelberg had a nice quick strike over the middle to TE Pinke, one of two nice balls caught by Pinke on the day.

* Heidelberg showed marked improvement today on his composure behind center and confidence in the pocket -- a far cry from where he was as a true freshy. 

* Heidelbaugh scrambled to his right and drew the defense his way, sucking them in. He then threw a cross-the-field rope the opposite way to RB Oliviera, who was swinging around the left end. Oliviera easily scampered in for a TD.

Punting:

It appears Bulduc is your starting punter for now. He clearly had the best boom on his kicks today, forcing returners to back-peddle at times. He also stuck one inside the 5-yard line, allowing the special teams to down it right before the goal line.

Live 11 on 11:

* Nevermann is a solid workhorse type runner, and he's good for 5+ yards on first and second down pretty much every time, setting up manageable conversions. This is refreshing and much needed.

* Nevermann broke one and rumbled for 15 yards while dragging 3 defenders on his back.

* On the next play, however, Nevermann was dragged down in the backfield by the LB tandem of Bakker and Jade Lawrence after Nevermann tried to change direction at the line and take it around the right tackle. It was Nevermann's only negative yardage play.

* WR Dulin looked ok on a jet sweep reverse, in which he was the one who took the second hand-off. He gained first down yardage but paid a price in the end by running too upright, reminiscent of Iwarri Smith's running style. He wasn't injured, but he got smacked pretty good.

* There was nothing but beauty in seeing a 30+ yard Heidelbaugh pass to TE and true freshman Alex Cloyd, who went up high to bring it down inside the 10 yard line.

* Not long after, Heidelbaugh was able to find FB and walk-on true freshman Finke for a catch and run. Finke took it 25+ yards before being tackled. What made the play work was a really nice block by Nevermann to pick up the blitz.

* Oliviera took one wide around the right side of the line and absolutely demolished young CB Holm before rattling safety Palmborg. The run wasn't much of a gainer but the point of impact got the offensive sideline excited and got the defensive players sniping back. 

--END--  

He's back!!! Thanks Teeder!  

They did look really rusty and out of sorts.

cloyd could have a chance of starting.  Seemed like he was in every play.  It really is hard to believe he's only a true fresh, he's  a big dude! Legs are like tree trunks.

I was eyeing the cbs. Torrey and carter were first team and thought carter looked really good. Good coverage and collapsed on the run very hard.    Torrey had some up and downs nothing special. Learning curve. He has unbelievable potential in the long run tho. Very fluid!   As needed and as talented as Evan is, he needs to redshirt!  He could not weigh more then 145 lbs. His jersey and pants just hang.  Or it looks that way aways.  Randolph is a very talented young man that is playing the wrong position...think he's better suited for qb.  Deion didn't play but was fully padded up, which is encouraging.  Bollant played just didn't notice him.  

Got to the scrimmage today, hadn't been to a practice in a couple years and it was nice to be back. 

Torrey struggled. The coaches are all over him which is good because we need him to contribute. 

Agree on the punting with Teeder. None of them look good enough but Bulduc has a clear edge. He does look much better than he did as a fr. He had one really nice tight spiraling punt that flipped the field.

Toivonen looks good, not great but good. By the end of the year he should be a go to player. If he can add more suddeness he can really be something. 

Cloyd is really built for a FR. He looks like he's been in the program for three years already. That said his blocking could use a little work. You can tell he has strong heavy hands and when he does get ahold of his guy he has nice leverage, he's just not consistent as a blocker yet. On the long play Teeder mentioned he looked great. High pointed the ball and plucked it out of the air. He moves better than I expected. 

The other fr TE Pinke is way thicker than I was expecting. He had a nice catch in traffic. Those two will be a really nice combo for years to come. 

Gordon looks quick and sudden and strong. That's just another quality back in the stable. 

Nevermann runs really hard and always goes forward. I'm excited for his contribution this fall. Again more quality depth. 

Santiago defines bigger faster stronger. He's just fun to watch.

My boy Olivera is a load and is quicker and more flexible than last year. The sound his pads make on contact is incredible. He brings the boom.

The first OL group was pretty good. Snaps weren't perfect but Coe is coming along. He is a brick !@#$ house for sure. The second group even looked pretty decent. The fr, as was said before, are wet behind the ears going against an all vet DL. Bennet really burned them bad on a play. 

FR LBs Marler and Hunt had some nice tackles. 

The d as a whole looked markedly quick and really go to the ball like I haven't seen since Digger was here. They are turning into a bit of a wolf pack, always hunting. The front seven looked really good.

My boy Holm struggled a little but made a nice break on a ball and almost scooped and int near the end.

The WR group wasn't getting a ton of separation and I'm not sure if that means improved coverage or not. No DB got burned today which is obviously a good thing.

Heidlebaugh moves really well but his Tim Tebow throwing motion has to improve if he's going to be a true #2 qb for us. It's so bad that I think he may be a natural lefty and doesn't know it.

Bartels looked pretty good today in his few throws. Still has the Byron Leftwich wind up but the ball sprun pretty nice which he hasn't done since he was a fr. 

Overall the team looks focused but also has fun. Nobody was too high or too low. I think they're pretty close to being ready to kick ass this year. 

• Upvote 3