SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

43 minutes ago, twinsmom said:

Hello all, I'm Elijah mom. No, he won't be back to UND. Last spring he completed 14 credits at local community college & worked full time. As an educator myself (20 years teaching) Elijah knows value of an education & will get one. He attended elementary & middle school in Mandan ND & is a good student. Thank you to those who stated they enjoyed watching him play & to those who wished him well. He's only 19 & he will find his way. Thank you. 

Thanks for the post and insight!  I wish your son the best going forward. 

50 minutes ago, twinsmom said:

Hello all, I'm Elijah mom. No, he won't be back to UND. Last spring he completed 14 credits at local community college & worked full time. As an educator myself (20 years teaching) Elijah knows value of an education & will get one. He attended elementary & middle school in Mandan ND & is a good student. Thank you to those who stated they enjoyed watching him play & to those who wished him well. He's only 19 & he will find his way. Thank you. 

Best of luck to Elijah.  

1 hour ago, twinsmom said:

I selfishly wish I could watch him play three more years at UND. In the end, though, I wish the best for him in whatever he chooses to pursue.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, twinsmom said:

Wish Elijah the best.  Good Luck

1 minute ago, Hambone said:

Awesome Teeder - basically what we've come to expect from you.

Surprised Haas was in the secondary - thought he was coming in as an OLB.

I suppose if he can make it at safety having that kind of height would be a massive asset. He can always pull a Dayo or Disterhaupt and slide down to OLB and dominate.

19 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Day 1: Friday, Aug. 8:

If you complained about being out on the Memorial Stadium turf today, you need to find a new line of work: beautiful, slight breeze, not a cloud in the sky and temps in the upper 70s.

The demeanor on the field among players and coaches was very businesslike for a first day. No shouting and screaming like drill sergeants. There was an expectation in the air and for most part the players were meeting it. The young guys were calmly coached up and the vets were a bit more brusquely reminded about their technique when needed. I expect that to change as camp lingers on and the coaches get a little more excitable.

Bubba gave his usual "first day is easy" speech, and that what really matters is keeping the attention to detail and motivation to improve up throughout fall camp.  Bubba pointed out a situation in which one particular player thought he was at a picnic versus football practice and that he was not "valuing the ball."  He said that cannot and will not happen under his watch. 

Players who I noted did not practice (for various reasons): Bennett Helgren, Josh Seibel and I did not see Vashon Tucker on the field, though, I may have just missed him. No reason to speculate beyond that.

The uniform was helmet and shorts ... no pads.

1. Zach Arnell looked like he was shot out of a cannon all day. He was all over the field and made several plays on defense. It's obvious he was chomping at the bit to get back to it after the suspicious hit on him at the AC last year.

2. Clive Georges looks much less slight this year. Looks like he's packed on a little muscle. Still blazing fast. He caught the ball very well per usual.

3. The 1st team OL at this very early point in the season is: Stockwell, Bell, Coe, Taylor, Cox. Some speculation whether Coe and Cox might be interchangeable between the center and tackle spot. Just interesting speculation at this point. Not sure how much substance is there.

4. Rooney took snaps at center with the back up O linemen, followed by Nguyen.  I did not see Aplin take any snaps at center. He did practice.

5. Coyne and Norberg switched on and off at FB all practice. They are both about the same size, though Norberg looks a bit more mobile and limber.

6. Taj Rich looked to be practicing at normal speed, with a brace on his left knee. He put maximum pressure on his knee all practice and did not favor the other leg at all. Keep your fingers crossed.

7. WR Carter Blackwell gained some weight but shrunk from his recruited height. Now listed at 6'1" down a couple inches. Go figure. On a more positive note, he developed some catching ability over the summer. He pulled in some tough balls and had much better attention on ball and exploded up field after the catch. Juries still out on him for me but he looks much improved in the catching category after 1 practice.

8. I don't understand it, but WR Dulin is still fighting the ball a bit. Arrrgghh!

9. QB Heidelbaugh still takes forever (relatively speaking) to get his throws off, and that did result in at least one INT, but he did have a few nice balls today, including one where he put it perfectly over the receivers opposite shoulder along the sideline. Indefensible.

10. Arnell came from out of nowhere and skied high into the air for a PBU on Blackwell.

11. As mentioned before a slight hitch in Heidelbaugh's mechanics caused an INT... the ball was tipped and fell into the arms of newcomer Cameron Hunt.

12. Santiago was Santiago. And that's good. Great depth behind him is even better.

13. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that, though there are some reservations on what happens if Studsrud goes down, I think Bartels finally puts it all together if he's needed a la Marcus Hendrickson in his senior year. Bartels has little to lose, it's his senior year, he knows the system, he knows the Big Sky. He showed a bit more mobility last year. Just a hunch. But I am an optimist. I remember Hendrickson and thinking why didn't he show what he showed his senior year in any of his previous years. Oh well. 

More about the new guys--- here's what you've been waiting for:

1. Putting all the message board chatter and speculation aside, for me, Toivonnen and Cloyd definitely passed the eye test and are the real deal. I had a similar reaction to Santiago last year and to Reyes and Cam Kuksa prior to that. Toivonnen has all the tools right now and looks like a Luke Stanley type dependable receiver. Cloyd is a massive human being who will only get bigger and better as he tones a bit and adds even more muscle. One of my buds today said that Cloyd looks like he has shoulder pads on when he doesn't.

2 Ray Haas also looks very noticeably tall at his position in the secondary.  I will keep my eye on him. He may be a fun one to watch develop over the years.

3. WR Noah Wanzek looks good early. He had a beautiful reception up the middle where he used all of his 6'4" and then some to sky into the air for the catch.

4. WR Demun Mercer had a solid day, nothing flashy, though. Has some decent speed.

That's it for today. Sorry that was long. Probably don't need to reply to this long post if you have questions or hot takes. 

What about Holm? 

2 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Awesome Teeder - basically what we've come to expect from you.

Surprised Haas was in the secondary - thought he was coming in as an OLB.

Crap!  I knew I was going to do that. I kept thinking to myself today that Haas looks like a DB more than a LB. He's an LB. Thanks for point that out. My bad.

Good reading for a Friday, thanks Teeder!  Just think it was only two years ago when at fall camp there were so many questions and so many holes to fill, QB controversy as well.  Even last year....who was going to be our RB etc.   This year we still have some questions to be answered, OL and DB in particular but we have come a long ways in two years as to what our expectations were just two years ago at this time.  It's nice knowing that so many of the players have been in the system for a few years now too and don't have to 'think' so much and can just react.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Day 1: Friday, Aug. 8:

If you complained about being out on the Memorial Stadium turf today, you need to find a new line of work: beautiful, slight breeze, not a cloud in the sky and temps in the upper 70s.

The demeanor on the field among players and coaches was very businesslike for a first day. No shouting and screaming like drill sergeants. There was an expectation in the air and for most part the players were meeting it. The young guys were calmly coached up and the vets were a bit more brusquely reminded about their technique when needed. I expect that to change as camp lingers on and the coaches get a little more excitable.

Bubba gave his usual "first day is easy" speech, and that what really matters is keeping the attention to detail and motivation to improve up throughout fall camp.  Bubba pointed out a situation in which one particular player thought he was at a picnic versus football practice and that he was not "valuing the ball."  He said that cannot and will not happen under his watch. 

Players who I noted did not practice (for various reasons): Bennett Helgren, Josh Seibel and I did not see Vashon Tucker on the field, though, I may have just missed him. No reason to speculate beyond that.

The uniform was helmet and shorts ... no pads.

1. Zach Arnell looked like he was shot out of a cannon all day. He was all over the field and made several plays on defense. It's obvious he was chomping at the bit to get back to it after the suspicious hit on him at the AC last year.

2. Clive Georges looks much less slight this year. Looks like he's packed on a little muscle. Still blazing fast. He caught the ball very well per usual.

3. The 1st team OL at this very early point in the season is: Stockwell, Bell, Coe, Taylor, Cox. Some speculation whether Coe and Cox might be interchangeable between the center and tackle spot. Just interesting speculation at this point. Not sure how much substance is there.

4. Rooney took snaps at center with the back up O linemen, followed by Nguyen.  I did not see Aplin take any snaps at center. He did practice.

5. Coyne and Norberg switched on and off at FB all practice. They are both about the same size, though Norberg looks a bit more mobile and limber.

6. Taj Rich looked to be practicing at normal speed, with a brace on his left knee. He put maximum pressure on his knee all practice and did not favor the other leg at all. Keep your fingers crossed.

7. WR Carter Blackwell gained some weight but shrunk from his recruited height. Now listed at 6'1" down a couple inches. Go figure. On a more positive note, he developed some catching ability over the summer. He pulled in some tough balls and had much better attention on ball and exploded up field after the catch. Juries still out on him for me but he looks much improved in the catching category after 1 practice.

8. I don't understand it, but WR Dulin is still fighting the ball a bit. Arrrgghh!

9. QB Heidelbaugh still takes forever (relatively speaking) to get his throws off, and that did result in at least one INT, but he did have a few nice balls today, including one where he put it perfectly over the receivers opposite shoulder along the sideline. Indefensible.

10. Arnell came from out of nowhere and skied high into the air for a PBU on Blackwell.

11. As mentioned before a slight hitch in Heidelbaugh's mechanics caused an INT... the ball was tipped and fell into the arms of newcomer Cameron Hunt.

12. Santiago was Santiago. And that's good. Great depth behind him is even better.

13. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that, though there are some reservations on what happens if Studsrud goes down, I think Bartels finally puts it all together if he's needed a la Marcus Hendrickson in his senior year. Bartels has little to lose, it's his senior year, he knows the system, he knows the Big Sky. He showed a bit more mobility last year. Just a hunch. But I am an optimist. I remember Hendrickson and thinking why didn't he show what he showed his senior year in any of his previous years. Oh well. 

More about the new guys--- here's what you've been waiting for:

1. Putting all the message board chatter and speculation aside, for me, Toivonnen and Cloyd definitely passed the eye test and are the real deal. I had a similar reaction to Santiago last year and to Reyes and Cam Kuksa prior to that. Toivonnen has all the tools right now and looks like a Luke Stanley type dependable receiver. Cloyd is a massive human being who will only get bigger and better as he tones a bit and adds even more muscle. One of my buds today said that Cloyd looks like he has shoulder pads on when he doesn't.

2 Ray Haas also looks very noticeably tall at his position in the secondary.  I will keep my eye on him. He may be a fun one to watch develop over the years.

3. WR Noah Wanzek looks good early. He had a beautiful reception up the middle where he used all of his 6'4" and then some to sky into the air for the catch.

4. WR Demun Mercer had a solid day, nothing flashy, though. Has some decent speed.

That's it for today. Sorry that was long. Probably don't need to reply to this long post if you have questions or hot takes. 

Jesus, awesome right up. Thanks

• Upvote 1

With no pads, the qb's and receivers play little more free and aggressive (knowing they won't be on the wrong end of a big hit) . . . We'll see how it changes when the d-backs and linebackers get to make their presence known a bit more.

Great report . . . I appreciate it a ton!  (some gratitude from Iowa)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

With no pads, the qb's and receivers play little more free and aggressive (knowing they won't be on the wrong end of a big hit) . . . We'll see how it changes when the d-backs and linebackers get to make their presence known a bit more.

Great report . . . I appreciate it a ton!  (some gratitude from Iowa)

I agree Iceman...but I would expect the defense to be winning more of these battles against a familiar offense. 30 to 40 yard TDs in what essentially is flag football during an unpadded practice tells me the defense is not being aggressive enough. 

Teeder, thanks for the updates. We need to buy your lunch or dinner! 

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

I agree Iceman...but I would expect the defense to be winning more of these battles against a familiar offense. 30 to 40 yard TDs in what essentially is flag football during an unpadded practice tells me the defense is not being aggressive enough. 

No problem at all!  I should say that the QBs were really throwing some good balls today, outside of the picks. Many of the long plays were when rookies were trying to defend. They will get better, and I also should add that on some of those long plays, in a contact situation, the QBs would have never gotten the ball off against the on-coming push of the DL and the linebackers around the edge.

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

I'm betting that the qb would have been laying on his back instead of getting most of those long bombs down the field in full-contact situations.  I think it's pretty hard to judge much of that in a no-pad practice.

no pads + no hit = offense advantage