SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

20 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Sorry, it's taken so long. I am trying to get the new house organized after the move and time got away from me.

Thoughts from the last 3 days.

1. The guys are just itching for a game. Their focus hasn't been quite there on the practice field.  I think many plsyers have moved on to Stoney Brook.

2. The other day, the special teams were practicing some new wrinkles in the punt game that should make our opponents a bit unsettled.  That's all I will say in open forum.

3. Speaking of the punt game .... Dussold looks to be taking the inside track on the starting job. We shall see.

4. Taj Rich is giving it his all everyday, but it just might be the young ILB Donnell Rodgers who eventually gets the keys to the car to play alongside Obrien and Bakker.

5. Clearing Seibel to play earlier than expected is just a formality at this point. # 23 continues to put his MCL and ACL through the gauntlet, pounding hard on the turf and practicing with the rest of his mates.  Today, he bolted out on a full sprint on a fly route and had to kick it into another gear to catch up to an overthrown ball from Bartles... Not only did he catch up to it, but he lunged out to snag it.  He looks very close to ready.

6. D. Harris has had a very good week doing Harris things with multiple PBUs AND INTs during skelly and team scrimmages.

7. We've heard a lot about how good Toivonnen and Wanzek have looked this fall camp, but I will add another to that list: Easton Erbes out of Breckinridge, Minn. He won't have his shirt pulled but he looks good for a walk on.

8. Pretty certain Holm will have his red shirt pulled, primarily out of necessity.

9. Another area where UND has an embarrassment of riches is at Tight end.  You know what your going to get from Steady Eddy Matthewson, but then there's also true freshmen Cloyd and Pinke who are both massive for as young as they are.  They just need to get their blocking assignments down. Jacob Francis is another good one and good blocker.  Mollberg is looking more like a TE everyday, plus he's so versatile out there if Bubba ever wants to get tricky. Fiedler better do all he can to stay healthy in order to stay in the two-deep hunt.

10. I know I am repeating this but Clive is a black hole for footballs.  He just sucks them in.  He's just so damn slight. Although he is up 10 Pounds from last year.

11. OL Demon Taylor has been taking it easy this week with an unspecified minor injury. That's given Aplin a lot of opportunity at RG.

12. NFL  Scouts are srtarting to shoe up at Memorial Stadium, mostly just doing their due diligence or just-in-case role since their are really no seniors on this squad that are on anyone's NFL radar.  The Miami Dolphins visited on Thursday.

--END--

Thanks again for a great report, Teeder.  That's great news with respect to Seibel.  Hope Taj has recovered to the point where he'll get major PT.  Interesting competition in the punting dept.; hope the competition ups their game to the point that we won't miss Meindel as much as I think we will; such an important part of special teams.

Intriguing development out of UND Football. 

(I'm assuming a lot in the next paragraph) Looks like UND will be getting an important insurance policy for next year to keep Boatman's RS intact if Studs can't go for whatever reason. 

Former Hawaii Rainbows and Montana Griz QB Eric Prater (Lake Havisu City, Ariz., 6-2, #205) should be a school start addition to the Fighting Hawks roster. Prater, a former Special OPS Army Ranger, will have to sit this year out under NCAA transfer rules, but could be ready to back up Studs next season and maybe take the reigns fulltine in 2018, if his play merits it.  He should have two more years of eligibility  

One more interesting side note. Prater was supposed to be the starter against UND last year until he got hurt in practice in the week leading up to the game. This paved the way for Simmons to take the field in lieu of Gustafson. 

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

(I'm assuming a lot in the next paragraph) Looks like UND will be getting an important insurance policy for next year to keep Boatman's RS intact if Studs can't go for whatever reason. 

Former Hawaii Rainbows and Montana Griz QB Eric Prater (Lake Havisu City, Ariz., 6-2, #205) should be a school start addition to the Fighting Hawks roster. Prater, a former Special OPS Army Ranger, will have to sit this year out under NCAA transfer rules, but could be ready to back up Studs next season and maybe take the reigns fulltine in 2018, if his play merits it.  He should have two more years of eligibility  

One more interesting side note. Prater was supposed to be the starter against UND last year until he got hurt in practice in the week leading up to the game. This paved the way for Simmons to take the field in lieu of Gustafson. 

Very interesting. You've got to love his Army Ranger background. You'd think he would be a great addition from a leadership standpoint at the very least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Wow.  I didn't see anything on this

5 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Interesting. Brock Boltman looks like a good quarterback prospect, but it is important to have overall good competition at the quarterback spot; Eric Prater should add to that competition. 

Very happy to hear about the coaching staff addressing the depth at QB after last season. Need to continue to grow ALL positions for this program to continue improving. 

11 hours ago, shep said:

Played the UND Booster today. Bubba spoke at the end . Said Toivonen and I think he said Wanzek would have RS pull

After, I asked about Cloyd and he said that's another one they are considering.

I would assume cloyd and holm will be mentioned shortly.  Cloyd might have a tougher time on his shirt being pulled as there is depth at the te, but he does have talent and is built like a 5th year senior. He would obviously be ready if called upon.  Where as holm will be on the two deep and will play significant minutes immediately 

The three practices I've attended, toivonen was the top targeted wr with all 3 qbs.  He is a big fluid hands-of-glue freshman. Again, has a 5th year senior body.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I would assume cloyd and holm will be mentioned shortly.  Cloyd might have a tougher time on his shirt being pulled as there is depth at the te, but he does have talent and is built like a 5th year senior. He would obviously be ready if called upon.  Where as holm will be on the two deep and will play significant minutes immediately 

The three practices I've attended, toivonen was the top targeted wr with all 3 qbs.  He is a big fluid hands of glue freshman. Again, has a 5th year senior body.  

Hearing about true freshman that are built like 5th year senior, with the talent and potential of these kids is extremely exciting. Can't wait to see what they can do.

13 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

do either or both arnell and taj start game one at their positions from last year?

Not sure on your question. Are you asking if they DID start at their positions from game one last year or WILL they start game one at their position this year.

Yes they started from game one at their position last year and if it's the latter, going off what I saw in practice, my guess would be that they both look healthy and ready to be the starters. Palmborg however is looking really good at the safety position, so he mightily a jump over zach?  I think we'll leave it up to the coaches however. ;)

2 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Not sure on your question. Are you asking if they DID start at their positions from game one last year or WILL they start game one at their position this year.

Yes they started from game one at their position last year and if it's the latter, going off what I saw in practice, my guess would be that they both look healthy and ready to be the starters. Palmborg however is looking really good at the safety position, so he mightily a jump over zach?  I think we'll leave it up to the coaches however. ;)

yeah I phrased it odd...just wondering if they will be starting at stoney brook?

19 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

This is the kind of stuff I like to hear. Not so much having a #1 player, but more of a 1A and 1B. We need that kind of depth, without a talent drop off.

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

do either or both arnell and taj start game one at their positions from last year?

Very good question. I am not sure. 

Palmborg and Bakker/Rodgers are competing right there with those two. 

Nevertheless, from a fan standpoint, you have to love the depth that is developing.