283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/4060835-mike-mcfeely-usual-und-nickname-reaction-takes-sad-path

This entire column is wrong, uninformed, not true, baseless and shouldn't have been written.  

“You know, none of us wanted to get rid of the Fighting Sioux nickname. We all recognize that. Even those men and women who had to guide the university through the process of finding a new nickname and logo did not necessarily want to do it, but they had to. They were forced to. So this is where we are. Reality is, UND is now the Fighting Hawks and we have a new logo. While we wish the Fighting Sioux nickname could’ve continued forever, that is not what happened." 

Those aren't my words. Those are McFeely's. And he's right on that accord. 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, a coach is going to sit an athlete for saying something the coaching staff didn't like; I don't think so. Part of college athletics is the need to win games and championships and you don't do that by sitting an athlete for having an unpopular opinion.

There are a lot of coaches that believe in the exact opposite philosophy and have no problem disciplining a player because they want the players to know that they're in charge. Quite a few DI coaches even ban all of their athletes from using social media just so distractions and stuff like this doesn't happen. It happens alllllll the time in high school but it's usually solved with a lot of extra conditioning during practice at that level. By the time they reach college most athletes know not to speak negatively about the university because they signed to play for the school, not a logo. Most of the hockey team receives a 100% free education as well. I don't disagree with their opinions, but it just looks a little worse that there aren't really any other current UND athletes tweeting so bluntly negative things about it.

I have friends on a couple of other UND teams and they said they think it's stupid, but they aren't on social media saying it's the worst thing they've ever seen. They've actually said that most of the people on the teams they play on are happy they can finally move on because they were sick of it dragging on. Quote from a current UND athlete: "The old logo and name were obviously way cooler than this stupid f***ing thing, but it's gone and it's not coming back. Everyone was so sick of the people making it drag on longer because we just wanted to move on and have a new name so all this nickname crap would stop. I understand they love the old name and logo just like we do because it's obviously way better, but it's ridiculous they wouldn't let us move on from all that s*** because it was pretty fu**ing obvious we weren't getting the old one back and it would just drag on forever without a new one. So we're kind of happy in a way haha."  I just asked if their coaches would do anything for saying what the hockey players did on twitter. If anyone is interested I can post the response when I get the text back.  - I'm not saying he/she due to anonymity since they're still an athlete for the school

4 minutes ago, GFG said:

There are a lot of coaches that believe in the exact opposite philosophy and have no problem disciplining a player because they want the players to know that they're in charge. Quite a few DI coaches even ban all of their athletes from using social media just so distractions and stuff like this doesn't happen. It happens alllllll the time in high school but it's usually solved with a lot of extra conditioning during practice at that level. By the time they reach college most athletes know not to speak negatively about the university because they signed to play for the school, not a logo. Most of the hockey team receives a 100% free education as well. I don't disagree with their opinions, but it just looks a little worse that there aren't really any other current UND athletes tweeting so bluntly negative things about it.

I have friends on a couple of other UND teams and they said they think it's stupid, but they aren't on social media saying it's the worst thing they've ever seen. They've actually said that most of the people on the teams they play on are happy they can finally move on because they were sick of it dragging on. Quote from a current UND athlete: "The old logo and name were obviously way cooler than this stupid f***ing thing, but it's gone and it's not coming back. Everyone was so sick of the people making it drag on longer because we just wanted to move on and have a new name so all this nickname crap would stop. I understand they love the old name and logo just like we do because it's obviously way better, but it's ridiculous they wouldn't let us move on from all that s*** because it was pretty fu**ing obvious we weren't getting the old one back and it would just drag on forever without a new one. So we're kind of happy in a way haha."  This person did not post anything on social media calling their schools new logo crap and the worst thing ever (even though they agree that it is), and neither did their teammates even though most of them aren't really fans of it either. I just asked if their coaches would do anything for saying what the hockey players did on twitter. If anyone is interested I can post the response when I get the text back.  - I'm not saying he/she due to anonymity since they're still an athlete for the school

I just got this text from an unnamed Gopher hockey player:

"I wish I played for UND, we suck so bad"

:D

• Upvote 2

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I just got this text from an unnamed Gopher hockey player:

"I wish I played for UND, we suck so bad"

:D

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of them had that thought in their head right now :lol:

FWIW, they just told me their coaches would've gotten mad and given them some sort of discipline in practice for tweeting what the hockey players did

1 minute ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

Most of the UND student population? Or.....what does he mean....

Alums, stakeholders, former athletes....

The people that exercised their ability to vote for the name.

I am not a fan of the name either, but it was voted on by those that chose to vote.

55 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

There are anti hockey folks, just like there are hockey only folks.  In my opinion there are more hockey only than there are anti hockey but they both do exist.

Interesting....will have to keep my eyes and ears open for that one...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Cool.  

Dear Drake: 
SME designed the logo. They were given chicken crap and tried to make chicken salad. 

Signed,
I didn't vote for "chicken crap" but that was the outcome and I've come to peace with it. 

1 minute ago, UND1981 said:

No Drake is probably referring to those on the committee that gave a piss poor list to vote on.

Probably not considering he said "picked the name" referring specifically a singular one, Fighting Hawks. Swing and a miss by Drake on this one.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Probably not considering he said "picked the name" referring specifically a singular one, Fighting Hawks. Swing and a miss by Drake on this one.

Canucks are not known for their baseball skills.

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Joey Votto, Justin Morneau, and Larry Walker on line 1 for you .... 

I'm too busy to take the call, let them know that they themselves are/were very good.  Their country is not known for it. :) 

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I have said before that I did not like the Brien logo when it first came out because it was not a true logo. Ben originally made it as a work of art.

I'd have to watch it again, but that doesn't sound like how it went down when Brien talked on the Fighting Sioux documentary. Sounds like the school comissioned him to come up with three logos at $1,500 each and they'd choose the one they liked. But after he submitted the first one they loved it and felt they didn't need to see anymore.

43 minutes ago, GFG said:

I have friends on a couple of other UND teams and they said they think it's stupid, but they aren't on social media saying it's the worst thing they've ever seen. They've actually said that most of the people on the teams they play on are happy they can finally move on because they were sick of it dragging on. Quote from a current UND athlete: "The old logo and name were obviously way cooler than this stupid f***ing thing, but it's gone and it's not coming back. Everyone was so sick of the people making it drag on longer because we just wanted to move on and have a new name so all this nickname crap would stop. I understand they love the old name and logo just like we do because it's obviously way better, but it's ridiculous they wouldn't let us move on from all that s*** because it was pretty fu**ing obvious we weren't getting the old one back and it would just drag on forever without a new one. So we're kind of happy in a way haha."  I just asked if their coaches would do anything for saying what the hockey players did on twitter. If anyone is interested I can post the response when I get the text back.  - I'm not saying he/she due to anonymity since they're still an athlete for the school

I don't know; based on what I have seen around the country, all that seems to matter is winning.

Future generations will likely read these comments and laugh at how upset everyone is about this.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't know; based on what I have seen around the country, all that seems to matter is winning.

Future generations will likely read these comments and laugh at how upset everyone is about this.

Depends on the coaches really. For some of them winning probably is all that matters, but a good deal of coaches would be upset if their players tweeted what they did just because it's the players they're responsible for talking negatively about the university that employs them on social media. Most coaches just dish out punishment for stuff like this internally rather than sit out actual games, though. One of my friends who is an athlete for UND said their coach would have been really mad and they would've received some sort of discipline if they tweeted what the hockey players did. So that's probably why you're not really seeing athletes from other teams say similar things on social media.

You're probably correct hahaha