SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

19 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

No, Hockey Day Minnesota should have a game between a rotating schedule of Minnesota teams.  Sometimes Gophers vs. somebody else.  Sometimes Bulldogs vs. Huskies.  Sometimes Beavers vs. Mavericks.  It's not "Hockey Day Minneapolis", it's "Minnesota".  The host the outdoor games all over the state, why shouldn't they recognize the other college teams, as well?  And I can't imagine it would be too hard to coordinate to make sure it's a game involving two Minnesota teams.

It would be great if that would happen, but just getting Minnesota to play St. Cloud, Duluth, Bemidji, or Mankato on that day would be better then Minnesota playing Denver, Wisconsin, Michigan, or a Cupcake. We all know how much Minnesota loves cupcakes.

They had Hockey Day Minnesota in Duluth and the Bulldogs weren't even part of it (I don't remember the Bulldogs playing Minnesota on that day, so if they did I stand corrected).

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So the NSCC is being cancelled, but the Mariucci (cupcake) Classic will continue.  Solid scheduling there Minnesota.

Some want that to be an all Minnesota tournament. There seems to be an unanimous agreement that the cupcakes need to go.

29 minutes ago, cberkas said:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4208194-matt-wellens-column-dont-blame-fans-north-star-college-cup-burning-out

I believe it failed because of the arrogance of Minnesota and FSN only caring about one team in Minnesota. Minnesota's charity to help out the other schools was just a dog and pony show to line their pockets and give everyone else less money. I see why Duluth and St. Cloud made agreements to play a series every year with Minnesota, so they could make money they lost with playing in the NSCC.

Hockey Day Minnesota should have a game between the Gophers and one of the other Minnesota D1 teams, but no let's not do anything for the fans of college hockey in Minnesota.

First it was the nickname excuse for not playing UND, then it was the need to be playing all the other teams in the state, according to Lucia.   Now that they realize that playing UND is huge for keeping their pockets stuffed and fan base from being apathetic, they don't seem to care about keeping all the Minnesota teams in the loop every year or every other year.  Am I wrong, or do they still plan on playing them outside of the tournament?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

First it was the nickname excuse for not playing UND, then it was the need to be playing all the other teams in the state, according to Lucia.   Now that they realize that playing UND is huge for keeping their pockets stuffed and fan base from being apathetic, they don't seem to care about keeping all the Minnesota teams in the loop every year or every other year.  Am I wrong, or do they still plan on playing them outside of the tournament?

Duluth and St. Cloud have future scheduling agreements. The "we will play two games at the team not in the tournament arena" only lasted the first year. 

24 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I enjoyed the Hennessy interview with Pat "the rat" Micheletti on Saturday night.  He slammed Lucia for letting Gersich get away from the Gophers.  "If he were the gophers coach, Gersich would be playing for UM". 

I didn't quite understand the "your alma mater is 1-17."

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Duluth and St. Cloud have future scheduling agreements. The "we will play two games at the team not in the tournament arena" only lasted the first year. 

that's not really true. the other schools (and maybe the gophers themselves) asked to have home and homes presumably to flatten their revenues from year to year.

3 hours ago, UND1981 said:

I enjoyed the Hennessy interview with Pat "the rat" Micheletti on Saturday night.  He slammed Lucia for letting Gersich get away from the Gophers.  "If he were the gophers coach, Gersich would be playing for UM". 

Pat was so distraught once the Minnesota schools were all out of the NCAA tournament last spring that he didn't even discuss the rest of the regionals or the Frozen Four on "Beyond the Pond."  I could almost see his angry red face thru my radio as I listened to his show those 2-3 weeks.  What a bitter, bitter man.  :lol:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bale31 said:

that's not really true. the other schools (and maybe the gophers themselves) asked to have home and homes presumably to flatten their revenues from year to year.

That was the original agreement, if you are not in the tournament we play two at your arena. Bemidji was the first team to sit out. Then St. Cloud was suppose to get two home game against Minnesota. Did Minnesota or St. Cloud want to change it to home and home? I don't know, but I'd bet Minnesota change it to home and home after the played Bemidji the first year. Duluth got a home and home same with Mankato. You can say that it's not true, but the original deal with the NSCC was Minnesota plays two at the odd mans out building. 

15 minutes ago, cberkas said:

That was the original agreement, if you are not in the tournament we play two at your arena. Bemidji was the first team to sit out. Then St. Cloud was suppose to get two home game against Minnesota. Did Minnesota or St. Cloud want to change it to home and home? I don't know, but I'd bet Minnesota change it to home and home after the played Bemidji the first year. Duluth got a home and home same with Mankato. You can say that it's not true, but the original deal with the NSCC was Minnesota plays two at the odd mans out building. 

You're splitting hairs. the agreement still stands. mn gets 4 home games, the other schools get 2. The schools agreed to the home and homes and nothing substantially changed with that agreement other than the timing.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

If the season ended today, 1 conference would get three #1 seeds.  Crazy.

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

The Big Ten?

Someone should put together a failure ranking system that takes into account on-ice success and factors such as enrollment size, media revenue, and other factors that should foster success.   The B1G would have to rank right near the top of the failure heap, worse even than they have been in PRW ranking the last 3 years.  How do they do so little with so much?  If I were a B1G hockey fan, I'd learn to like football. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Based on Jim Dahl's updated http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/ 

Who's out (32): 
Niagara, UAA, UAH, RPI, UMass, Brown, NMU, AIU, FSU, Alaska, RIT, Mich St, Sacred Heart, ASU, Colgate, LSS, Mercyhurst, Bentley, Holy Cross, BGSU, Maine, Princeton, Dartmouth, UNH, Merrimack, CC, Army, MSUM, Canisius, Clarkson, BSU, MTU

Who's effectively out, meaning they have to win all (or lose just one) of their remaining games, seven or more, just to have any shot (6): 
Michigan, UConn, Yale, Northeastern, Quinnipiac, RMU

Who's really on the bubble, meaning have to win 2/3 or more of games just to make PWR15 (6):
Miami, Notre Dame, USAFA, Cornell, Ohio State, St. Lawrence

The above is 44 of 60 NCAA DI teams.  

Who's got some work, meaning have to win half or more of their remaining games just to be PWR15 (6):
UNO, Wisconsin, SCSU, UMLowell, Vermont, Providence, 

The above is now 50 of 60 NCAA DI teams.  

Who's pretty safe, meaning can't lose out, but can go under 0.500 and still get to PWR15 (8)? 
BC, UND, Harvard, Minnesota, Union, PSU, WMU, BU

Who's in, meaning they can lose out and get in (2)?
UMD and DU. 

And there's 60. 

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know PWR 15 is not safe as it can be stolen via a surprise autobid but I had to use some cut line. 

• Upvote 1