SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

43 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I guess. It looks like they recently did a home and home with BU, so not sure why they wouldn't consider UND.

You'd think with all the non-com games the B1G has had to fill that they would be interested.  It might just be that we haven't discussed it with them lately.

It's really too bad, considering they are certainly two of the most storied programs in NCAA hockey history.  A little bit of trivia.  The last time Michigan played against UND in Grand Forks?  February 23, 1980, the day after the "Miracle on Ice" game.

Yeah, I should edit my post.  The last time we played Michigan in the regular season was in 1980.  As some others pointed out, we did play them here in the NCAA's in the "Holy Cross" regional.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Harper was sick. Also, he is awesome...just played on an awesome team.  He had two points for BU yesterday.  BU is going to be a very tough out later on this season.

I don't disagree that Harper is a good player.  I was just disagreeing with the statement that was made that said the BU players were 6 of the best players in the tourney.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

You'd think with all the non-com games the B1G has had to fill that they would be interested.  It might just be that we haven't discussed it with them lately.

It's really too bad, considering they are certainly two of the most storied programs in NCAA hockey history.  A little bit of trivia.  The last time Michigan played against UND in Grand Forks?  February 23, 1980, the day after the "Miracle on Ice" game.

Wow, that's unbelievable. I mean, I believe it... but that's kind of a shame that they are so high on their own farts that they won't make a trip for a non-conf game in 37 years.

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Wow, that's unbelievable. I mean, I believe it... but that's kind of a shame that they are so high on their own farts that they won't make a trip for a non-conf game in 37 years.

I always enjoy beating Michigan in the playoffs. Not sure why, as there isn't a ton of bad blood due to lack of games, but it is definitely fun to beat those guys.

'06 game in GF was fun to watch (Not to mentions HC beating the Goofs)

BUT

'11 still stings, and will sting for quite a while. Winning #8 helped, but 2011 was one of the best squads I've seen. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I always enjoy beating Michigan in the playoffs. Not sure why, as there isn't a ton of bad blood due to lack of games, but it is definitely fun to beat those guys.

'06 game in GF was fun to watch (Not to mentions HC beating the Goofs)

BUT

'11 still stings, and will sting for quite a while. Winning #8 helped, but 2011 was one of the best squads I've seen. 

Beating them with their highly touted CCM line on the way to winning #8 helped me resolve some of my frustration about 2011.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

I don't disagree that Harper is a good player.  I was just disagreeing with the statement that was made that said the BU players were 6 of the best players in the tourney.

Oh....yeah that isnt true.  Harper barely played (for some odd reason) and bellows was a liability until the last game.

21 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think it's always going to pain me that the 2011 senior class never got a natty... 

15 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Yep, 2011 will always sting. It's right up there next to 2003-2004 season for me. Eerily similar circumstances too.

Notice I said 'some' of my frustration. That'll always be the one that got away.

Will never forget the anticipation inside the Xcel that April night in 2011. If we score one single goal to open the floodgates, we win the national championship. I truly believe that.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Yep, 2011 will always sting. It's right up there next to 2003-2004 season for me. Eerily similar circumstances too.

I suppose we're all different, but two that I'll always feel that got away were 1982-83 and 1998-99.

In 1982-83 we had a good core of the previous year's championship team coming back, plus we had the Frozen Four at the old Ralph.  We were basically a triple overtime goal against Wisconsin away from playing 4 NCAA tournament games at home for the championship.

That 1998-99 team was one of the most dominant I've seen.  29-3-2 in the regular season.  11-1-2 on the road in the WCHA that year.  Just a crazy good team that come the playoffs started to doubt itself.  It started when Mankato took us to three games in the first round, followed up by a loss to Denver in our favorite place to play, Target Center, and then a lethargic performance against BC.  Just a huge, slow letdown for me that year.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

In 1982-83 we had a good core of the previous year's championship team coming back, plus we had the Frozen Four at the old Ralph.  We were basically a triple overtime goal against Wisconsin away from playing 4 NCAA tournament games at home for the championship.

My dad took me to those tourney games at the Old Ralph...I was only four years old.  I still have the t-shirt that he got for me, my son wears it now.  :)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SJHovey said:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that we've tried but Michigan has been unwilling to do home and homes.  This was back in their old CCHA days when they only had about 6 non-con games available each year.  They were playing Wisconsin and Minnesota is some b.s. series each November, and then they had the GLI.  Claimed they couldn't give up the money by playing any other away games.

14 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Maybe we will just have to schedule to play them twice at their place to get the series started since they are being so arrogant and unwilling to go on the road!

(This sounds familiar) :D

This Mich team has 9 Natty's. We can't let them beat us in the playoffs for quite some time. Only team ahead of us.

19 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This Mich team has 9 Natty's. We can't let them beat us in the playoffs for quite some time. Only team ahead of us.

Michigan has only won three in the last 60 years, two since 1965.  Half a century.    Michigan's hockey greatness is an archeological dig. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, burd said:

Michigan has only won three in the last 60 years, two since 1965.  Half a century.    Michigan's hockey greatness is an archeological dig. 

Yeah, Red Berenson is pretty much the only person associated with Michigan who is old enough to remember them.  :lol:

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, burd said:

Understand, sound like a Bizon FB fan in that what happened before the 1960's don't count.  So in reality, we have 8 natty's and Mich has 9. I'd say let's go get the next couple before Mich. does.

• Upvote 4

UNH beats Northeastern 5-3

UConn beats Maine 6-3

What has happened to Maine, their best two wins are splits with Lowell and Quinnipiac. The fire Tim Whitehead crowed has to be kicking themselves. So far they are winless on the road and I can only see them winning 4 games the rest of the year (2 of those 4 are on the road).

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

Denver's sticks didn't make it to Kalamazoo.

There is a video on the Facebook link.

Aaron Matas@AaronMatas 4h4 hours ago

The University of Denver hockey team made the trip to Kalamazoo to take on Western Michigan. Their sticks didn't... http://fb.me/26Faka0r7

Guess they don't charter then?

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

Denver's sticks didn't make it to Kalamazoo.

There is a video on the Facebook link.

Aaron Matas@AaronMatas 4h4 hours ago

The University of Denver hockey team made the trip to Kalamazoo to take on Western Michigan. Their sticks didn't... http://fb.me/26Faka0r7

Don't laugh.
I had a coach that would make us leave all the sticks in the room for one or two practices a season. 

Hint: Some of those were pretty fun (puck-to-skate work); some ... notsomuch ... #bagskate ...