SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

2 minutes ago, #MACtion said:

On a separate note, our Athletic Director (in his "Ask the AD" video series) said that the #2 current priority after building a new basketball arena, is to expand Steve Cady Arena and to further invest in and monetize the hockey program.  We just spent $41 million on football and now they will take a break and focus back on hockey.

Good to hear, that's why Miami is an NCHC team. An AD coming out and stating one of their priorities is college hockey is not usually something you'd see with other schools.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, #MACtion said:

Yes, with the Big Ten adding Notre Dame and needing less OOC games, Ohio State (who we have dominated and won the last 6 straight) only wants to play Miami at home and not at Miami.  So of course Miami said no way, its home and home or not at all.  Michigan refused to play Miami home and home after the CCHA break up as well.  Michigan and OSU act like this is football where they expect to play everybody at home even though in hockey the NCHC is superior to the BTHC.  It is a shame considering OSU and Michigan are potential close road games.  Michigan State has not taken this hardline stance but we just haven't been able to schedule them.  Not sure about Notre Dame.   We'll probably schedule more Hockey East opponents like Providence and Maine.

Oh well. 

At least in the short term Miami will be better off in terms of prepping itself for an NCAA tournament bid by playing more Hockey East teams, or higher level ECAC teams.

I understand Michigan's position.  It's just Michigan being Michigan, and even with their crappy team this year people will line up to play them.  Only programs like DU or North Dakota are in a position to basically turn down a "play at Michigan or play nowhere" demand from Michigan. 

But OSU?  Jeez, I'd think that anyone who is willing to play in their empty barn in exchange for a home game of their own would be a welcome sight in Columbus.  Apparently the lack of oxygen in the Pairwise top 16 is starting to get to them.

8 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Hmm, what does Union and Omaha have in common? Too bad we could sweep the article with a series against Mich Tech. Really hope the play we saw this weekend is and indicator of things to come. UND didn't just score a lot of goals, the team played 2 full games, and passed the eye test. Shooting, passing, skating ... everything looked in top notch form. Hope we can carry it into next weekend against Miami.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hmm, what does Union and Omaha have in common? Too bad we could sweep the article with a series against Mich Tech. Really hope the play we saw this weekend is and indicator of things to come. UND didn't just score a lot of goals, the team played 2 full games, and passed the eye test. Shooting, passing, skating ... everything looked in top notch form. Hope we can carry it into next weekend against Miami.

In fairness the article was written before this past weekend games. But if you look at Omaha's remaining schedule....they are going to have a hard time making the tournament...let alone making the Frozen Four.

15 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

In fairness the article was written before this past weekend games. But if you look at Omaha's remaining schedule....they are going to have a hard time making the tournament...let alone making the Frozen Four.

I know, just had to poke a little fun. Hopefully they can figure it out, because they have had a rough go with the second half collapses. They have the talent, but need to put it all together.

16 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

I always assume they won't make it just because of their typical second half slide... 

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

While the team played really good this weekend, there were some things that need cleaning up.  Both defensemen vacated the front of the net to go to the boards to fight for the puck.  If they had lost that battle, UNO had a gimme in front of the net.  There were times that defensive coverage was lacking, mostly on Saturday night, and if Cam hadn't been really on the UNO score could have been a few goals higher.

But overall, yes, UND did play very well.  The first period on Friday night was especially fine.

On 1/6/2017 at 9:47 AM, I Ranger said:

I'm going to kindly disagree with you on this. Oettinger was the 3rd string goalie for the US and Harper was the 13th forward that didn't play a second in the gold medal game. McAvoy, Keller and Greenway are studs and Bellows and Fabbro are nice players but those 2 I wouldn't consider two of the best. Still ridiculous to have that many players from one team in the tourney.

Harper was sick. Also, he is awesome...just played on an awesome team.  He had two points for BU yesterday.  BU is going to be a very tough out later on this season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #MACtion said:

Yes, with the Big Ten adding Notre Dame and needing less OOC games, Ohio State (who we have dominated and won the last 6 straight) only wants to play Miami at home and not at Miami.  So of course Miami said no way, its home and home or not at all.  Michigan refused to play Miami home and home after the CCHA break up as well.  Michigan and OSU act like this is football where they expect to play everybody at home even though in hockey the NCHC is superior to the BTHC.  It is a shame considering OSU and Michigan are potential close road games.  Michigan State has not taken this hardline stance but we just haven't been able to schedule them.  Not sure about Notre Dame.   We'll probably schedule more Hockey East opponents like Providence and Maine.

Oh well. 

(Sorry about the news, but) Glad to hear your AD / coaching staff have strong backbone.    

In addition to Hockey East, I would think ECAC scheduling would be good for Miami.  There's also a fit of like-institutions.   

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

At least in the short term Miami will be better off in terms of prepping itself for an NCAA tournament bid by playing more Hockey East teams, or higher level ECAC teams.

I understand Michigan's position.  It's just Michigan being Michigan, and even with their crappy team this year people will line up to play them.  Only programs like DU or North Dakota are in a position to basically turn down a "play at Michigan or play nowhere" demand from Michigan. 

But OSU?  Jeez, I'd think that anyone who is willing to play in their empty barn in exchange for a home game of their own would be a welcome sight in Columbus.  Apparently the lack of oxygen in the Pairwise top 16 is starting to get to them.

Is there a reason we never schedule Michigan for non-conference games? Seems like we should have some home and home series, or even a MSG style game from time to time. Typically, both are strong teams. Historic programs. Solid fanbases. Had quite a few postseason games.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Is there a reason we never schedule Michigan for non-conference games? Seems like we should have some home and home series, or even a MSG style game from time to time. Typically, both are strong teams. Historic programs. Solid fanbases. Had quite a few postseason games.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that we've tried but Michigan has been unwilling to do home and homes.  This was back in their old CCHA days when they only had about 6 non-con games available each year.  They were playing Wisconsin and Minnesota is some b.s. series each November, and then they had the GLI.  Claimed they couldn't give up the money by playing any other away games.

5 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that we've tried but Michigan has been unwilling to do home and homes.  This was back in their old CCHA days when they only had about 6 non-con games available each year.  They were playing Wisconsin and Minnesota is some b.s. series each November, and then they had the GLI.  Claimed they couldn't give up the money by playing any other away games.

I guess. It looks like they recently did a home and home with BU, so not sure why they wouldn't consider UND.

1 hour ago, Siouxman said:

While the team played really good this weekend, there were some things that need cleaning up.  Both defensemen vacated the front of the net to go to the boards to fight for the puck.  If they had lost that battle, UNO had a gimme in front of the net.  There were times that defensive coverage was lacking, mostly on Saturday night, and if Cam hadn't been really on the UNO score could have been a few goals higher.

But overall, yes, UND did play very well.  The first period on Friday night was especially fine.

This is something that had me perplexed for awhile.  Evidently, the new line of thinking is to support rather than play the traditional position.  In the circumstance you describe, the D is licensed to leave the front of the net to provide support to his partner.  This passes the buck to the pivot to cover the front of the net or the wingers if its a dman sleeping down.  I'm not sure how I feel about this, but support is being drilled into kids as superordinate to your position.