SiouxSports.com Forum

Winning a Natty ... what would it mean for Fighting Sioux

NoiseInsideMyHead

Winning a Natty ... what would it mean for Fighting Sioux  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What would winning the 2016 National Championship mean for the Fighting Sioux?

• Closure. A page turner...a proper burial of sorts. Acceptance is accelerated. UND and the Fighting Hawks move on with grace and dignity.
    • Invigorates the nickname loyal crowd...Sioux strong as ever. Divisions remain or worsen. Calls for new President Kennedy to take action.
    • Win or lose, nothing changes vis-a-vis the nickname.
    • Even with the win, I'm waiting for the new logo to decide whether there will be a noticeable change going forward.
    • None of the above.

I thought my last question here would at least spark some comment 

But it seems this subject is no longer of interest - everyone has made up their minds only time will effect the name

But I do think a Natty as Fighting Hawks will ease the transition a little

44 minutes ago, obborg said:

But it's hard to call it winning "as Fighting Hawks" when almost every UND fan in the stands is wearing Sioux gear.

The fans didn't win the game.  The team did, which is an entity of The University of North Dakota.  

Fans can wear whatever they want.  

• Upvote 1

The name is still new, it won't be accepted by the majority for quite some time. It could be decades before you see more Hawks and less Sioux. But no matter if you cheer Go Hawks or Go Sioux you are cheering for the same team...UND. 

On a side note, I will be cheering for the Hawks in my Fighting Sioux sweatshirt. Go Sioux/Hawks/Flickertails/Nodaks. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/10/2016 at 10:40 PM, darell1976 said:

Championship shirts say Fighting Hawks, how many people (besides me) will be buying those? 

Well the logical answer is everybody.  If you are a UND hockey fan and you are too stubborn and selfish that you won't buy a National Championship shirt that says Fighting Hawks on it, honestly turn in your UND fan card right now.  These Fighting Sioux Forever fans need to grow up and realize that this is more about them.  The University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks won a National Championship on Saturday.  Not the Fighting Sioux.  Accept that fact and move on  Ok.  End rant.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Well the logical answer is everybody.  If you are a UND hockey fan and you are too stubborn and selfish that you won't buy a National Championship shirt that says Fighting Hawks on it, honestly turn in your UND fan card right now.  These Fighting Sioux Forever fans need to grow up and realize that this is more about them.  The University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks won a National Championship on Saturday.  Not the Fighting Sioux.  Accept that fact and move on  Ok.  End rant.

Never grow up all u do is get old

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Or what? :)   Did you even enjoy the championship or are you too wound up over what nickname will be on a tshirt?  Who gives a crap what people cheer?  We won!

• Upvote 1

The Fighting Sioux was in place for a long time, It will likewise take a long time for it to go away. The new nickname and logo may be official but they have an uphill climb to win over the fan base. However people shouldn't confuse  tension over the new nickname with a lack of loyalty to UND sports.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Every FB post about UND hockey turned into a Hawks vs Sioux debate. Someone would put Go Fighting Hawks only to have someone say "don't you mean Sioux" or don't say that. Some people do need to grow up, not everyone is going to say go Sioux, there will be people saying Go Hawks, or wear Hawks gear. Just because people have moved on with the new name there is no reason to bash someone. On the flip side if people want to wear Sioux gear (I did during the game) and cheer Go Sioux that's okay too. Our fan base should be united not separated buy the nickname we cheer for. We all cheer for UND so what if people say go Hawks or go Sioux. 

• Upvote 4

I am definitely celebrating this Championship like everyone else.  I just wish the hockey people at UND would not be so afraid to offend the "Sioux Forever" fanbase (which is mostly hockey fans) and call this team, and others, by our new nickname.  During the rally last night, there was zero reference of "Fighting Hawks."  Now I can see why they might have stayed away from using it as many would have booed or jsut started a "Let's Go Sioux" chant.  But if the President, AD, and coaches can't even say the name of our new nickname, then there is zero chance that UND will ever transition to a new nickname.  People can resist change.  But those people shouldn't be the ones that are supposed to support it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The racks of National Championship gear (at Scheels) with Fighting Hawks on the t-shirts were still almost full at 12:30 or so Sunday.

At the same time, the racks of gear with just the ND logo and no mention of F'Hawks were completely picked through and getting down to only XL's and S's. In three colors.

• Upvote 1