SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Denver - Frozen 4 edition

AZSIOUX

Just like every team in the Frozen 4, Denver is peaking at the right time. They play a pretty good team game, are getting reliable goaltending, and scoring in bunches. I don't believe they're too heavy on upper or lower-classmen, so a good balance. They had been rotating goalies, but Jaillet has been their guy lately. They also have some great firepower from the D in Butcher and Zajac.

ETA: The D and G weren't too great against Ferris, but I'll attribute that to a traditionally weaker opponent that may have surprised Denver. They'll be ready for UND, and I expect an entertaining game.

ETA2: Screw DU

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think Denver was struggling in the first half and pulled it together in the second half. When they swept us, we were coming off a bye week, we had the flu virus in the locker room, we had some players coming off of injuries who were rusty and the altitude was giving us trouble. Those things are not in play this time, so I expect a solid two goal victory on Thursday.

I think it is a mental block in Denver we usually don't have a problem in Colorado Springs or if we do its not publicized like Denver. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

So,what are the odds it is a hockey east crew and there is a parade to the penalty box. This game needs NCHC officials 

I'm actually hoping for ECAC officials.  That's what we had for both games in the regional.  There were definitely missed calls, but they were missed both ways.  For the most part, they just let the guys play.

• Upvote 1

Just now, keikla said:

I'm actually hoping for ECAC officials.  That's what we had for both games in the regional.  There were definitely missed calls, but they were missed both ways.  For the most part, they just let the guys play.

I loved it. Best team wins when this happens.

1 hour ago, keikla said:

Completely agree. I remember being upset when they didn't call a few penalties our way until they let it go on both sides. It really added to the flow and entertainment of the game. We're obviously not heavily reliant on our powerplay and are at our best 5x5 so hopefully this continues on into the FF.

5 hours ago, keikla said:

That is my hope too.  One thing is certain...if Marco Hunt is one of our ref's Thursday night, THAT is a MESSAGE.

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That rule applies if one of the teams is from the NCHC and the other team is from, let's say, Hockey East. But both UND and Denver are NCHC teams, so the threat of conference bias is not there.

The two-referee, two-linesman system shall be used in all NCAA competition. A conference that does not use this system during regular-season and conference tournament competition shall not have its officials selected for NCAA contests, unless approved previously by the NCAA men’s and Women’s Ice hockey Rules Committee, and the Division I men’s Ice hockey Committee. Neutral conference officials will be assigned by the committee. linesmen will be joined by conference. Referees from a neutral conference and linesmen from another neutral conference may be assigned to a game.

The officials will be from a different conference.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

I was going to say two team from the same conference...even more reason to have no NCHC refs. 

I agree I didn't mind the officiating last weekend. Nobody wants to watch a full 60 of 4x5. (which basically could be called in any hockey game).

12 hours ago, Seahawks said:

So what makes Denver so much better now then earlier when the UND decisively sweep them?  Hot Goalie?  Young talent maturing?  Injuries?  All of the above?

Siting in Section 115 and this is a dream come true to attend a UND Frozen Four appearance (live in NE FL).   Hope to tip a few beers with some of my fellow UND alums/students/enthusiasts and talk some UND hockey.

First UND hockey game attended since '80 (Graduated in '80).  Dave Christian would've been on this team but he was busy beating the Russians.  Great team, hope this years team can match the talent, intensity and shear guts of this team.  They surely looked it in the two regional games.  My neighbor is a UM grad, it was so sweet to shut up the trash I took from him about that Michigan's scoring machine.

Wow, first Sioux game you've attended since 80?  Great for your man, that's good to hear!

• Upvote 1

I've heard stories of coaches staying out of things between periods during the final games and letting the players in the locker room motivate each other. I think captains might make the most difference in these big games, at least when discussing leadership. Good thing we have more captains than any other team in the field! :D 

Monty has done a great job at Denver. I remember when Gwoz was canned, they were not doing well and for the coming season they only had a third string goalie on the roster. Berry, at least from what the players say, brings a calming presence to the team. There was a great quote from Ausmus in one of the recent articles out there, where he said with Berry you know he cares about you so much and it makes you want to do right by that. Maybe this demeanor is the tweak UND needed.

Edit: In this article: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/colleges/frozen-four-how-a-first-time-head-coach-kept-und-hockey-rolling/2271818

And the players knew him, too, which is why captain Gage Ausmus said the team was relieved when they found out Berry was being promoted. Berry already had the respect of the locker room, even if his personality was completely different from his predecessor's. Hakstol, Ausmus said, was so intense that players feared making a mistake.

"Coach Berry, you like him so much, you don't want to let him down," Ausmus said

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Fetch said:

So is it a battle of coaches against Denver ? Or are we beyond that now & all up to the players ? 

Two good Head coaches how about asst. Coaches ?

Will Captains make any difference ?

Everything matters right now. All the teams are good and have talent, otherwise they wouldn't be here. So everybody has to bring their A games (coaches, players, captains, alternates).