SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

21 hours ago, Cratter said:

When you put it that way, it makes it sound like every other week, you get to work while on vacation from North Carolina.  :xmas:

Speaking as a guy who works from home most of the time, when you work from home you're always at work. It's not a much fun as one would think. 

18 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

What are Foster's qualifications to be a chief of staff?

That's what gets me. You'd think someone in that role, if not a lawyer, would at least have some graduate level degree in Educational Administration.

I know of an MS Ed Admin that'd take $119k to move to UND and do that job. Frankly, you'd probably get the person I'm thinking of for $80k and knowing the person they'd succeed no matter how "challenging" some are claiming the job to be. (This person has run statewide programs and had to deal with ND DPI and dozens of local school districts all at once.) 

• Upvote 1

Update:  https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/und-employee-to-be-allowed-to-work-from-texas-got-a-promotion-and-30000-raise-in-november/

When I reached out to UND spokesman David Dodds for more information, he justified this move by claiming that it would be cheaper than hiring a new chief of staff based on regional salary comparisons for that position. “We conducted a search for a Chief of Staff and, as part of the process, learned that such position among higher education institutions in our region and peer group run $185,000 as a median and $225,000 as an average. Some spot checking confirmed those figures,” he told me.

Something still doesn't add up here.

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Update:  https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/und-employee-to-be-allowed-to-work-from-texas-got-a-promotion-and-30000-raise-in-november/

When I reached out to UND spokesman David Dodds for more information, he justified this move by claiming that it would be cheaper than hiring a new chief of staff based on regional salary comparisons for that position. “We conducted a search for a Chief of Staff and, as part of the process, learned that such position among higher education institutions in our region and peer group run $185,000 as a median and $225,000 as an average. Some spot checking confirmed those figures,” he told me.

Something still doesn't add up here.

<tinfoil hat on for this one>

Justification for the move.

"Hey, by doing this we are saving costs!"

<takes tinfoil hat off>

How is she at her job?  

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Interesting that Jayson Hajdu, just shortly after leaving UND, already has not so positive things to say about UND (President) on twitter.

Didn't see that one coming.

Can't tell if you're serious or not.
I'll just say I'm not surprised based on the company he kept. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Interesting that Jayson Hajdu, just shortly after leaving UND, already has not so positive things to say about UND (President) on twitter.

Didn't see that one coming.

Was that on Jayson's WWE alter ego Twitter account?

The optics are horrible.

That said, I have no idea of her value to the University, and it doesn't sound like anyone here does as well.   She may be worth every penny and then some.  It sounds like her compensation is not out-of-line with that position.

But the optics are absolutely horrible.

My opinion won’t ever change on this. If you work for the University of North Dakota as a top administrator you should live within driving distance. Like 25 miles at most. If you’re going to work from home some days I’d say that’s more than fine. If your title is chief of staff and your staff is 1000’s of miles away....... Its a joke. If your an IT guy living 1000’s miles away supervising nobody it would make sense. 

• Upvote 3

No doubt the optics on this are less than great and it feeds perfectly into those that don't care for MK. Also, I'm not sure how that job functions and if doing it remotely is realistic, though it seems like someone who's working on site would be more effective, but as always, some of this is a little more nuanced than the knee jerk reactions.

NDSU hired a Chief of Staff a few years ago, which was in the news as the individual that was hired there was previously on staff at NDSU as legal counsel. The state moved all legal counsel under the NDUS, so he was out of a job. Instead of applying for a job in Bismarck, NDSU hired him as chief of staff. His salary is about $183K/year and is in line with the average/median salaries stated by UND. While the individual at NDSU is an attorney, I don't know if that job actually  requires a JD nor do I do know if the UND and NDSU jobs have similar duties but they do share titles and have a pretty significant difference in salaries.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kab said:

Kennedy needs to be gone

not sure what he has accomplished for us

look at what Shea has done at Mary

lets get that guy 

soon Mary will be bigger than UND and hockey too

He's done well considering the state cuts UND's funding by 10% every chance they get...  Not defending this, though.

• Upvote 1

Not saying he would be interested

i see him on Tv a lot talking about their new programs and fund raising, new engineering program

wont be long before they start looking at a medical school too,

i don’t see the same thing out of Kennedy

not in grand forks, does kennedy get out and meet with local leaders or does his surrogates do that too