SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

Congrats to Schmidt. Thought he'd stay connected to DeBoer but having Co-Defensive Coordinators in front of him would have been a tough hurdle to overcome to jump into that spot. 

A little surprising since the previous DC made $125,000 less that ES was making at Washington. Guessing the position will a bump in pay and adding FBS coordinator to his resume. And unless I'm missing it, I haven't actually seen anything that says Kurt Mattix, current SDSU DC, was let go or has taken a different job.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Has anybody seen if Eric is finishing the season with Washington or if he's moved to SDSU already?

I was wondering the same.  He is with the Huskies tonight.  I think he will be a Head coach for P5 in due time.  Alpha dog is tough.

4 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I was wondering the same.  He is with the Huskies tonight.  I think he will be a Head coach for P5 in due time.  Alpha dog is tough.

Saw him on the sidelines towards the end right next to Deboer before the on side kick. 

Special teams blunder at the end though too, 15 yard penalty. 

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

image.png.712dffe905dd77b3c6eeaea47214b2e9.png

Good luck to former UND player and DC Eric Schmidt in the FBS National Championship game! 

That can't possibly be Schmidt  He coached at UND and as we all know, was an insider and certainly knows nothing about coaching especially above the D2 level.  Those that believe this is him should get on the Huskie forum ASAP to save their program

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, lets eat said:

That can't possibly be Schmidt  He coached at UND and as we all know, was an insider and certainly knows nothing about coaching especially above the D2 level.  Those that believe this is him should get on the Huskie forum ASAP to save their program

kinda funny the guy over his shoulderis making the choke sign with his arms and hands.....

1 hour ago, lets eat said:

He was smart enough to leave the Bubba squad.

Flee the titanic while there are still lifeboats, if you will.

Or more simple, chance to coach D1, and make more money and possible head coach aspirations. 

Good coaches/assistants will be plucked by other head coaches for bigger opportunities (and pay). 

As for the Titanic reference next season will show how accurate your analogy is in my opinion. If anything the last few years seem more like the Bermuda Triangle where it looks like we can tackle in the open, run the ball etc. then it suddenly disappears in a game or a half.

Ideally he (Eric) will be in the running for head coach if and when Bubba leaves because of the FBS experience and a chance to use UND as a resume builder. 

10 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

Or more simple, chance to coach D1, and make more money and possible head coach aspirations. 

Good coaches/assistants will be plucked by other head coaches for bigger opportunities (and pay). 

As for the Titanic reference next season will show how accurate your analogy is in my opinion. If anything the last few years seem more like the Bermuda Triangle where it looks like we can tackle in the open, run the ball etc. then it suddenly disappears in a game or a half.

Ideally he (Eric) will be in the running for head coach if and when Bubba leaves because of the FBS experience and a chance to use UND as a resume builder. 

I hope Eric Schmidt is the running, among others. He will be a Mountain West coordinator next season. NDSU just hired a Mountain West coordinator with close program ties to be their next head coach. Ultimately, UND needs to up the ante with their coaching salaries no matter what. Have to take the most popular sport in America more seriously or be left behind.

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I hope Eric Schmidt is the running, among others. He will be a Mountain West coordinator next season. NDSU just hired a Mountain West coordinator with close program ties to be their next head coach. Ultimately, UND needs to up the ante with their coaching salaries no matter what. Have to take the most popular sport in America more seriously or be left behind.

Polasek did take a small base pay cut to move from OL coach at Iowa to OC at Wyoming, but a 13% haircut to get OC in the FBS on your resume is likely worth it, particularly with a head coach you know and expectations that aren't sky high. What he was making at Wyoming is in line with what he is likely getting at NDSU.

Schmidt made significantly coaching ST and Edge rushers than Polasek did as a OC for Wyoming. Like 65% more.
Will be interesting to see what his salary as new DC of SDSU is announced at. Sean Lewis was given a $3.7 million salary pool for his 10 assistants. Safe to say he's needed to keep Schmidt in the same ballpark on compensation to get him to leave UW, which is significantly more than anyone in the FCS is getting as a head coach.

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Polasek did take a small base pay cut to move from OL coach at Iowa to OC at Wyoming, but a 13% haircut to get OC in the FBS on your resume is likely worth it, particularly with a head coach you know and expectations that aren't sky high. What he was making at Wyoming is in line with what he is likely getting at NDSU.

Schmidt made significantly coaching ST and Edge rushers than Polasek did as a OC for Wyoming. Like 65% more.
Will be interesting to see what his salary as new DC of SDSU is announced at. Sean Lewis was given a $3.7 million salary pool for his 10 assistants. Safe to say he's needed to keep Schmidt in the same ballpark on compensation to get him to leave UW, which is significantly more than anyone in the FCS is getting as a head coach.

Glad you over-thought that one. UND underpays is the bottomline.

Maybe Schmidt taking a cut to get FBS coordinator on his resume also? San Diego State budget likely not much larger than Wyoming’s, but someone else can look that up.

okay, I looked it up. San Diego State with greater football budget than Wyoming. 

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/mwc

https://nevadasportsnet.com/sports/wolf-pack/mountain-west-athletic-department-power-rankings-which-schools-get-most-bang-for-buck

ultimately pointless in terms of UND underpaying football coaches ..

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Glad you over-thought that one. UND underpays is the bottomline.

Maybe Schmidt taking a cut to get FBS coordinator on his resume also? San Diego State budget likely not much larger than Wyoming’s, but someone else can look that up.

okay, I looked it up. San Diego State with greater football budget than Wyoming. 

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/mwc

https://nevadasportsnet.com/sports/wolf-pack/mountain-west-athletic-department-power-rankings-which-schools-get-most-bang-for-buck

ultimately pointless in terms of UND underpaying football coaches ..

I already posted how much SDSU is dedicating to their assistant pool. It's significant. The staff is getting paid, the coordinators well above what anyone in the FCS is paying. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think i've asked but how does sdac pay more for coaches with their one stop light town in the middle of nowhereville than our flagship U?

Cause our flagship U thinks - for some incredibly stupid reason - that football is second-tier …

There’s resources at UND for football coaches, but the department is mismanaged due to cultural issues (hockey, hockey, hockey) and historical trends. Rate of change is quite slow in the Dakotas, especially in Grand Forks.

• Like 1