SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Not really sure where to post this question, but what was it about Eric Schmidt that got him a job at Washington?  Weren’t we thinking that his defenses at UND weren’t overly impressive?  

Schmidt and DeBoer were on Lennon’s staff together at Southern Illinois from 2010-2013.  

• Upvote 2

He was with the DeBoer at Southern Illinois and then went with home to Fresno. Eric I thought did a fine job especially the last year where injuries depleted the D-Line and yet the defense was respectable. If I recall they played redshirted freshman to fill in on the since it was a MASH unit of a defensive line. 

32 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Not really sure where to post this question, but what was it about Eric Schmidt that got him a job at Washington?  Weren’t we thinking that his defenses at UND weren’t overly impressive?  

From Herald article at the time of Schmidt’s departure:

“UND's 2019 defense averaged 397.6 yards of total defense, which ranked No. 73 in the FCS. The Fighting Hawks gave up 28.5 points per game, which ranked No. 68 in the FCS.”

I seem to remember that him leaving was solving a problem. Same with Holinka. Seems like both of them started out well but regressed. 

I would respectfully disagree, as I said, I recall our d-line was a MASH unit. We got slaughtered by Eastern Washington and with the decimation in the trenches we rebounded and won some big games at home, but bubbles burst at Nichols in the playoffs.  I am fairly certain we were putting red shirts in for 4 game shots so not to lose their illegibility.

Maybe my memory is poor but, I don’t recall Schmidt leaving; people saying problem solved. I did recall people nervous about Holinka’s hire.

18 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

I don’t recall Schmidt leaving; people saying problem solved

Maybe it was only me :) 

And what I mean, not necessarily problem solved like the defense is fixed, but saved Bubba from having to make a decision about whether to keep a guy who just gave up 400 yards/game on the season.

Not to paint Schmidt as all bad, that same article said of the 2016 season: "UND gave up 91.3 yards per game rushing, which was sixth in the FCS. His defense collected 20 interceptions, which ranked No. 2 in the nation."

39 minutes ago, Dustin said:

From Herald article at the time of Schmidt’s departure:

“UND's 2019 defense averaged 397.6 yards of total defense, which ranked No. 73 in the FCS. The Fighting Hawks gave up 28.5 points per game, which ranked No. 68 in the FCS.”

I seem to remember that him leaving was solving a problem. Same with Holinka. Seems like both of them started out well but regressed. 

what's the common denominator?

On 9/11/2023 at 9:35 PM, Hawkster said:

I didn't realize until yesterday that Waletzko was on IR again.  Just can't catch a break.

He is coming off of the IR this week and will be available to play.  Yes, he needs to stay healthy!  Availability is the best ability.  G

• Upvote 2