SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2016

UNDColorado

9 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

If Blackwell just had more breakaway speed he could be decent. 

That was a really nice block he had, which we know it will be important for our WR's to be able to block well.  Plus he looked good catching the ball as well, who knows maybe he could be the Josh Seibel type?   I'm from Dickinson so it's good to see a Dickinson kid out there, wasn't sure how things would go for him at UND but maybe he'll get some playing time.  He seems a little lean, but if he can make nice blocks like that.....all is good.

The rb and d line have an abundance of depth and talent!!  Nevermann was very impressive as was the d line. The d line is by far the most impressive unit on the field.  They simply win every battle.   The O line struggled..........calling Grady!!  Heidlebaugh showed his inexperience but had some nice looking plays.  Dulin has to work extremely hrs this summer on how to catch. When he does he has a very fluid body and makes things happen.  My first impression is that jade is going to be one tough SOB!  He and nevermann won my gold star award.  The guy has balls of steel.  He plays very much like a veteran and has a great first step and puts his  everything into the hit.  Absolutely loved he way he played today.   

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I like UND's potential to wear defenses down with Nevermann, Norberg and Gordon and then counter it with "finesse" guys like Santiago and Oliviera and George's deep. 

Olivera certainly isn't only finesse. That 4-on-4 goal line situation at the end was fun to watch with Olivera forcing his way into the end zone! This backfield has some real nice talent for 2016! 

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Olivera certainly isn't only finesse. That 4-on-4 goal line situation at the end was fun to watch with Olivera forcing his way into the end zone! This backfield has some real nice talent for 2016! 

Agreed!  Hence the reason I put "finesse" in quotation marks. Our so called finesses guys bring a slug of power with their speed and moves. 

I'm just a little unsettled with the O line cohesiveness/depth,  qb depth and the wr position. 

O line has some really good starters but will take time to gel.  D line handed it to them today.  Plus the depth is simply thin.  I guess with the combination of how strong our d line is and the fact that the o line hasn't had enough time together made it very apparent today.  If Grady comes back and they get 3-4 game experience under their belts I believe this will be a great group!  

A lot of juniors there today but not one qb recruit.  Why? Heidelbuagh comes across as just not being ready. Yes, he's only a freshman and I will give some time to mature but the team might not have that option and could potentially need him ASAP if god forbid that Keaton is to go down.  He will need to grow up immediately as the depth this year is him and Bartles and Bartles simply hasn't shown enough with his time here.  We cannot have another 0-3 slide if our starting qb goes out.  Also, including Keaton, our qbs are zeroed in on their #1 target and never look to option #2.  When they had time in the pocket they still were locked in on their first read.  They leave the center just focused on read #1.  Noticed this last year as well.  Good defenses will exploit this.  

Dulin: catch the ball!  Other then Clive, the speed within this group seems to be below average at this level.  I believe most are above average in downfield blocking however.  Again, depth is an issue.  Santiago maybe?  With oscar looking the way he did today and brady and Gordon, I could see santiago lining up in the outside quite a bit this year.  

Even though jawon didn't fill up the stat sheet today, he is wickedly fast at OLB!  Has the toughness as well to make a considerable statement this season.

Und is getting closer and with their favorable schedule they should be playoff bound.  2-3 losses at the most, unless Keaton goes down, then it gets scary!  

• Upvote 2

Your point about the QBs including Keaton is a good one. Last year he left the huddle with his target in mind and never took his eyes off of him. Too easy to defend unless the WR is blazing by guys which it appears this group may not be. That's the one major issue with him as a QB.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:31 PM, Cratter said:

Another marketing opportunity, continue this series:

The Athletic Department already knows these things. They just don't have any money to do them. I don't expect the promotions and marketing to increase anytime soon, especially with budget cuts.

so use the great minds already at the school and make it a marketing and sports marketing internship opp. Think outside the box.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I'm just a little unsettled with the O line cohesiveness/depth,  qb depth and the wr position. 

O line has some really good starters but will take time to gel.  D line handed it to them today.  Plus the depth is simply thin.  I guess with the combination of how strong our d line is and the fact that the o line hasn't had enough time together made it very apparent today.  If Grady comes back and they get 3-4 game experience under their belts I believe this will be a great group!  

A lot of juniors there today but not one qb recruit.  Why? Heidelbuagh comes across as just not being ready. Yes, he's only a freshman and I will give some time to mature but the team might not have that option and could potentially need him ASAP if god forbid that Keaton is to go down.  He will need to grow up immediately as the depth this year is him and Bartles and Bartles simply hasn't shown enough with his time here.  We cannot have another 0-3 slide if our starting qb goes out.  Also, including Keaton, our qbs are zeroed in on their #1 target and never look to option #2.  When they had time in the pocket they still were locked in on their first read.  They leave the center just focused on read #1.  Noticed this last year as well.  Good defenses will exploit this.  

Dulin: catch the ball!  Other then Clive, the speed within this group seems to be below average at this level.  I believe most are above average in downfield blocking however.  Again, depth is an issue.  Santiago maybe?  With oscar looking the way he did today and brady and Gordon, I could see santiago lining up in the outside quite a bit this year.  

Even though jawon didn't fill up the stat sheet today, he is wickedly fast at OLB!  Has the toughness as well to make a considerable statement this season.

Und is getting closer and with their favorable schedule they should be playoff bound.  2-3 losses at the most, unless Keaton goes down, then it gets scary!  

QB situation is not settled yet, that's for sure. It's ongoing. I too think UND needs to be more aggressive with that position. Studsrud is the starter, but there needs to be more top-end competition. Bubba and his staff need to bring in multiple QBs via either scholarship freshmen or transfers. For 2016, UND will have only 3 realistic QB options and only 1 of them is likely capable to lead this team to "big" wins; that is not ideal. Coach Schweigert and Coach Rudy need to adjust this situation; it's a priority moving forward. 

Good news about the other weak areas - OL, WR, and DB - is that those spots have freshman coming in from the 2016 recruiting class. 

17 hours ago, shep said:

Your point about the QBs including Keaton is a good one. Last year he left the huddle with his target in mind and never took his eyes off of him. Too easy to defend unless the WR is blazing by guys which it appears this group may not be. That's the one major issue with him as a QB.

Perhaps true. Coach Rudy needs to get on his guys. Either way, Studs is by far the best of the 3 QB options for 2016. 

4 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Does anyone know what number palmborg was wearing yesterday?  If he was wearing #11, then I would be wrong about my compliments about jade( who's listed as #11) and instead direct those compliments to palmborg.  

I believe it was Palmborg at #11, and yes, he had a nice day yesterday. He will be a nice backup option to Reyes and Arnell in the secondary. Sure looks like the staff has at least somewhat corrected the safety depth situation. Of course, that also depends on how the 2016 recruiting class looks in the fall.