SiouxSports.com Forum

Top Forward Lines in Fighting Sioux Hockey History

fightingsioux4life

With the buzz being generated by the CBS line this season, it got me to thinking about the other great forward lines in the history of this storied program. With the help of USCHO.com and the 2013-14 Men's Hockey Media Guide, I have compiled the statistics of the CBS line, along with four other potent lines from previous teams:

Line/Player

GP

Goals

Assists

PPG

Hrkac Circus (1986-87)

Tony Hrkac

Bob Joyce

Steve Johnson

Totals

Line of Fire (2000-01)

Jeff Panzer

Bryan Lundbohm

Ryan Bayda

Totals

The Money Line (2003-04)

Brandon Bochenski

Zach Parise

Brady Murray

Totals

DOT Line (2006-07)

Ryan Duncan

T.J. Oshie

Jonathan Toews

Totals

Pony Express (2010-11)

Matt Frattin

Evan Trupp

Brad Malone

Totals

CBS Line (2015-16)

Drake Caggiula

Nick Schmaltz

Brock Boeser

Totals

Most of the stats here are pretty self-explanatory, but I will elaborate on a couple of points:

The “Totals PPG” figure represents the average PPG of all three members of that particular line. This gives us an overall picture of how potent each line was/is based on overall production per game.

The “Games Played Totals” figure is uniform for the Hrkac Circus and Line of Fire, but the other three lines had one player that didn’t play as many games as the other two players on that line. So this number represents the average number of games played for that line. I did not know how else to treat that column.

Through 20 games (including tonight), the CBS line is on track to rank amongst the best lines in program history. They are approaching the productivity of the DOT line and may even make a run at The Money Line and the Line of Fire before the season is over.

Edited by fightingsioux4life
Forgot "Money Line" of 2003-04
  • Upvote 2

It would be interesting to compare overall amount of scoring across the NCAA in the years those lines played.   With those numbers, you could add a multiplier of some sort to adjust for changes in the game.  I think we all believe college hockey was a different game when the Circus played, but it's just a notion, at least in my case.   I'd love to do it, but I have to take out the garbage and clean the garage . . .   :)

• Upvote 1

It would be interesting to compare overall amount of scoring across the NCAA in the years those lines played.   With those numbers, you could add a multiplier of some sort to adjust for changes in the game.  I think we all believe college hockey was a different game when the Circus played, but it's just a notion, at least in my case.   I'd love to do it, but I have to take out the garbage and clean the garage . . .   :)

what would you do with the video replay. Not saying it was done but isn't it thought that tony got an assist just for being on the ice, with the thought he must have touched the puck somewhere?

what would you do with the video replay. Not saying it was done but isn't it thought that tony got an assist just for being on the ice, with the thought he must have touched the puck somewhere?

Really?  I have a hard time even reading those words.  Most of his assists were THE play that made the goal happen.  

There's no doubt goaltending was poorer then, and as a result scoring higher, but you can't really compare eras.  I do know Hrkac made more opponents look silly than anyone I've ever seen.  That oughtta count for something.

Really?  I have a hard time even reading those words.  Most of his assists were THE play that made the goal happen.  

There's no doubt goaltending was poorer then, and as a result scoring higher, but you can't really compare eras.  I do know Hrkac made more opponents look silly than anyone I've ever seen.  That oughtta count for something.

I wouldn't say the goaltending was poorer, but I get what you mean.  The equipment was different (smaller pads and trapper).  Goalies themselves were also generally smaller (the 6'3 goalies weren't common).  As a result, there was more open net to defend (and shoot at) and scoring was a little easier.  Though now you can make the argument that composite sticks give shooters an advantage they didn't have back in the eighties, but I think the open net area argument holds better.

And yeah, for as many goals as Hrkac had, he was THE setup man laying that biscuit on the stick of Bob Joyce just moments before it was in the net.  Those two were fun to watch together.   

Edited by 808287
  • Upvote 2

Steve Johnson wasn't the only wing that played with Hrkac and Bob Joyce in 1986-87. Brent Bobyck played quite a few games at wing on that line.

Yup. Bobyck played on that line in April I believe. Malcolm Parks played on that line for a few games also. 

You could've put Goon or geaux_sioux out there with Hrkac and Joyce and he'd have put a 10-20-30 season scoring line up. 

• Upvote 1