SiouxSports.com Forum

Top Forward Lines in Fighting Sioux Hockey History

fightingsioux4life

Steve Johnson wasn't the only wing that played with Hrkac and Bob Joyce in 1986-87. Brent Bobyck played quite a few games at wing on that line.

Right.  It would be interesting to see a comparison of stats only for the games these individuals actually played on the same line together as opposed to their stats for the entire season.  In addition to the Hrkac Circus line, I think there were others lines that did not play together the entire year.

I wouldn't say the goaltending was poorer, but I get what you mean.  The equipment was different (smaller pads and trapper).  Goalies themselves were also generally smaller (the 6'3 goalies weren't common).  As a result, there was more open net to defend (and shoot at) and scoring was a little easier.  Though now you can make the argument that composite sticks give shooters an advantage they didn't have back in the eighties, but I think the open net area argument holds better.

I'm certainly no expert but the few times I've watched old hockey games that's certainly my impression.  Goalies were more stand-up, trying to kick out shots with their leg pads, etc.

Patrick Roy changed the goalie position. One of the first, if not the first, pure butterfly goalies. Now every goalie plays like him and is tall and athletic enough to cover the upper part of the net even when down. There is more shot blocking as well as skaters have gotten better and better protective equipment. It still takes huge balls to lay your body on the line blocking shots, but its nothing like I imagine it was like 20 or more years ago. Bigger goalies with better technique and more skaters clogging up shooting lanes is a big reason why the scoring levels in the NHL (and I believe college) are at historically low levels.

• Upvote 1

Patrick Roy changed the goalie position. One of the first, if not the first, pure butterfly goalies. Now every goalie plays like him and is tall and athletic enough to cover the upper part of the net even when down. There is more shot blocking as well as skaters have gotten better and better protective equipment. It still takes huge balls to lay your body on the line blocking shots, but its nothing like I imagine it was like 20 or more years ago. Bigger goalies with better technique and more skaters clogging up shooting lanes is a big reason why the scoring levels in the NHL (and I believe college) are at historically low levels.

you are absolutely correct- there is also an emphasis on two-way play out of your forwards, especially the center, that wasn't always there.   Additionally, dmen have become outstanding at the active stick- keeping them in the play- and making a quick first pass up into transition.

on my first point- Toews and Bergeron are two examples of guys following my moniker's later style of center ice play- go from 50 goals and 70 helpers and a minus 15, to 20 goals and 40 helpers with a plus 15.