SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS @ UMD Bulldogs -FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Don't let too many see this. It might show coaching matters and they might have to take off a blinder or two.

So you are saying this team is this good because Hak is gone? not because the remaining players are a year more mature and the many new ones are absolute studs? Your funny, how's my comprehension? Wonder who recruited these players? You have been fishing for a fight about Hak, here you go...

• Upvote 2

He is stirring the pot and you are taking the bait. In other words, you are doing what he wants.

The funny thing, I think Cratter is GFhockey or GFhockey is Cratter. Always defending each other, asking for each other and they don't post much at the same time????Hmmmmm?

They put crap on here to start shyt!

Sounds like you guys saw a much better hockey game than I did. Don't recall ever rooting for DU and the moment I need them to win, they roll over and die just to spite me! In any event, congrats UND! Take care of your business and the rest will sort itself out.

You just never give it up do you? Hakstol is gone, the boys are winning, try being an adult and appreciate how they are playing. It's been like three comments in this thread alone,  probably more that I haven't seen.

Nothing to see here...its pure coincidence dean blais and brad berry share something in common in the first year.:xmas:

• Upvote 1

The funny thing, I think Cratter is GFhockey or GFhockey is Cratter. Always defending each other, asking for each other and they don't post much at the same time????Hmmmmm?

They put crap on here to start shyt!

Try paying more attention.:

#1 Fact: in half a decade the best Hakstol could do was use dean blaises's recruits as a head coach to reach a championship game.

Never has Hakstol ever got a a championship game recruiting only players during his head coaching time.

UND makes head coaches. Hakstol was nothing without UND. History will prove this correct. 

• Downvote 3

You just never give it up do you? Hakstol is gone, the boys are winning, try being an adult and appreciate how they are playing. It's been like three comments in this thread alone,  probably more that I haven't seen.

Oh my god. Three?! are you serious?>!

Time to talk about berry changing strategy. :lol:

Don't forget this is pure coincidence a und team has started like this since the first day before hakstol started coaching UND hockey.

Start a graph. one line would be called "downward hakstol coaching trend.? It would be easy to follow. Hakstol has had the most talent at UND ever. Yet has produced the least results. It'd be easy to see..... He owns the longest championship drought in Sioux Hockey history a head coach. *clap clap clap*

Edited by Cratter
  • Downvote 4

Oh my god. Three?! are you serious?>!

Time to talk about berry changing strategy. :lol:

Don't forget this is pure coincidence a und team has started like this since the first day before hakstol started coaching UND hockey.

Start a graph. one line would be called "downward hakstol coaching trend.? It would be easy to follow. Hakstol has had the most talent at UND ever. Yet has produced the least results. It'd be easy to see..... He owns the longest championship drought in Sioux Hockey history a head coach. *clap clap clap*

Tell it like it is,Cratter....Hakstol is a jerk...How's Philly doing??...12 and 12...Oh,boy...

Put it this way:  I'm glad this team is not a one-trick pony like a certain poster we know who seems to have no real interest in the game itself and takes his pride from something over which he has absolutely no influence or control. 

Now, the team (the reason we are here).  If we were Daloot fans, we would be saying we beat them soundly but ran into a hot goalie--and with some justification.  We feel great with that shutout, but the Dogs looked quicker and gave our D fits much of the time.  They forced some turnovers like we have not seen this year.  That team definitely has potential.  In some ways they look like Sioux teams in recent years who could do everything but finish.   It will be a very interesting game tonight. 

My biggest takeaway from that game was how calm and in-position Cam looked.   A lot of those great saves were position saves, not quick gloves or sliding pads; he was just where he had to be and looked completely calm.   At least that is what I think I saw.    For this team, that's the most important thing we need to see at this point, IMO, even more than scoring from the lower lines.  They have the D, and they have finishers.  They can skate up and down the lineup, and the players appear to have bought into their roles.  But we know that to go far they will need a goalie who can win a game in a hostile environment where he has to stop a lot of pucks AND NOT LET IN A SOFTIE.  No goalie will do that every night or possibly even most nights, but Cam has shown he can do it with good technique and good positioning, without relying on mother luck, acrobatic saves, and pipes.  Maybe the Dogs will hang 5 on us tonight--they have the potential.  But Cam has shown he has the potential to stay calm and keep the score low.   It's a long way from March and April, but that's exactly what we will need when that time comes.    

• Upvote 3

Try paying more attention.:

#1 Fact: in half a decade the best Hakstol could do was use dean blaises's recruits as a head coach to reach a championship game.

Never has Hakstol ever got a a championship game recruiting only players during his head coaching time.

UND makes head coaches. Hakstol was nothing without UND. History will prove this correct. 

Talk about paying attention, you give Hak a little credit but "with Blais's recruits" who's recruits are being used now?! This coaching change is seamless, a guy from the original staff, helped recruit, sound familiar? You say never a " championship game"? You do realize the one THEY lose in is the 2nd to last game you can play in the entire season right?

Sheesh!

• Upvote 1

Put it this way:  I'm glad this team is not a one-trick pony like a certain poster we know who seems to have no real interest in the game itself and takes his pride from something over which he has absolutely no influence or control. 

Now, the team (the reason we are here).  If we were Daloot fans, we would be saying we beat them soundly but ran into a hot goalie--and with some justification.  We feel great with that shutout, but the Dogs looked quicker and gave our D fits much of the time.  They forced some turnovers like we have not seen this year.  That team definitely has potential.  In some ways they look like Sioux teams in recent years who could do everything but finish.   It will be a very interesting game tonight. 

My biggest takeaway from that game was how calm and in-position Cam looked.   A lot of those great saves were position saves, not quick gloves or sliding pads; he was just where he had to be and looked completely calm.   At least that is what I think I saw.    For this team, that's the most important thing we need to see at this point, IMO, even more than scoring from the lower lines.  They have the D, and they have finishers.  They can skate up and down the lineup, and the players appear to have bought into their roles.  But we know that to go far they will need a goalie who can win a game in a hostile environment where he has to stop a lot of pucks AND NOT LET IN A SOFTIE.  No goalie will do that every night or possibly even most nights, but Cam has shown he can do it with good technique and good positioning, without relying on mother luck, acrobatic saves, and pipes.  Maybe the Dogs will hang 5 on us tonight--they have the potential.  But Cam has shown he has the potential to stay calm and keep the score low.   It's a long way from March and April, but that's exactly what we will need when that time comes.    

Great post! Cam was a stud! Duluth absolutely looked like a Sioux team of the past. A team you can beat now, but hopefully avoid later. I know these guys fear no team, but you know what I mean...

Any win on the road is a good win. A road split in the NCHC is acceptable but a sweep is better. Can Cam do it again tonight?

Hope the team is better with the puck tonight and doesn't commit the multitude of turnovers they did last night. Then Cam shouldn't have to be quite that good.That was the worst game this team has played, including the losses. #bringhakback

Edited by sprig

You really hit the nail on the head.  With the present goaltending situation, UND has the depth and talent to be a serious contender at the end of the year.  A lot of things can happen between now and then, but knowing we have the potential to shut a team down (esp. one that had scored 24 in the previous 4 games) gives us the opportunity to win ANY game we are in.  I also believe the team has begun to play with more confidence, knowing that if they make a mistake, someone is backing them with strength to keep them in the game.  Last night's game was far from our best effort, but Cam kept us in there.  I am looking for a hungrier group of Hawks to come out of the chutes tonight, as I expect the Dogs will also be highly motivated to gain a split.

I believe Brad said it's been at least 17 years since a UND goalie had a 40-save shutout.  Not bad.  Part of it is this team's complete sell-out mentality when it comes to playing defense.  That comment applies to both defensemen and forwards.  I remember there was a stretch last night when Duluth was putting on sustained offensive pressure, and Cam lost his stick.  One of the other guys was trying to corral Cam's stick back to him, paused for a brief second to drop and block a shot, and then got back up to finish getting Cam his stick.

Hopefully Cam is good to go.  When asked about waving off Mark Poolman twice in the third, Cam said something about 'just wanting to get the game over with'.

• Upvote 1

I was in and out of the broadcast last night; but the play of the game/turning point for me was in the first when Duluth was getting set to go on their 5x3 PP. Stecher was forced to take the draw after LJ was tossed. He immediately drew a penalty after working his butt off at the drop of the puck.  The 5x3 goes to a 4x3, and consequently we go into the intermission with a 2 goal lead instead of it being 2-1 (or worse) and Duluth carrying all the momentum. 

• Upvote 1

Well thank you, its been an odd season. High expectations and yet it seems like they've literally run into a hot goalie in many of their NCHC conference losses. tonight's a huge test for this team who I thought had turned the corner. Perhaps last night was just a blip on the radar as UMD starts to gell and get better. I expect them to a NCAA team and factor in the tournament in March. A victory tonight would go a long way to helping UMD in that regard. 

I should add that UND's D gave UMD fits. Every pass or shot was blocked or contested, UND really clogged shooting lanes and made it easier for Johnson. There was some puck luck against UMD but that will happen. 

• Upvote 1

I believe Brad said it's been at least 17 years since a UND goalie had a 40-save shutout.  Not bad.  Part of it is this team's complete sell-out mentality when it comes to playing defense.  That comment applies to both defensemen and forwards.  I remember there was a stretch last night when Duluth was putting on sustained offensive pressure, and Cam lost his stick.  One of the other guys was trying to corral Cam's stick back to him, paused for a brief second to drop and block a shot, and then got back up to finish getting Cam his stick.

Hopefully Cam is good to go.  When asked about waving off Mark Poolman twice in the third, Cam said something about 'just wanting to get the game over with'.

Cam said he was just dehydrated, said he would "drink more Gatorade tonight" . No problems just cramping.

Cam said he was just dehydrated, said he would "drink more Gatorade tonight" . No problems just cramping.

Gatorade is so full of  sugar, some players should probably be sure it's right for them, for a number of reasons.  Nobody ever told me that when I was playing sports and drinking it. 

• Upvote 1