SiouxSports.com Forum

Drop Fighting Hawks name

GeauxSioux

3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

All? I like how you added that word not me. :silly:

Right, it's ridiculous to read something like that isn't it?  So it's possible that people other than the hockey only crowd want the name back?  It's possible that people other than the hockey only crowd are booing?  When I read your posts, you seem to  have pinpointed that group as the only ones responsible.  

You may not know this but the hockey only crowd also kidnapped the Lindbergh baby and is responsible for the Zika Virus.:)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Right, it's ridiculous to read something like that isn't it?  So it's possible that people other than the hockey only crowd want the name back?  It's possible that people other than the hockey only crowd are booing?  When I read your posts, you seem to  have pinpointed that group as the only ones responsible.  

You may not know this but the hockey only crowd also kidnapped the Lindbergh baby and is responsible for the Zika Virus.:)

Then, why are the people most vocal about the Sioux name coming back, the booing at the REA are hockey fans? They are a majority voice against the new nickname and the push to return to the Sioux name. The name isn't coming back, we are the Fighting Hawks until the NCAA removes their policy, or UND leaves the NCAA, so might as well start to accept the new name. You do realize a Fighting Hawk logo will appear in the REA, the Betty, the Alerus, and all other UND buildings. UND does gain control the the Betty and REA in 14 years. (Sept 30, 2030)      

For charitable tax reasons -- to prove the property valuable -- Engelstad's lease agreement with UND, however, state's he can own the facility until Sept. 30, 2030.

http://und-fraud.com/UND/Campus/Arena/engelstad_arena.htm

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Then, why are the people most vocal about the Sioux name coming back, the booing at the REA are hockey fans? They are a majority voice against the new nickname and the push to return to the Sioux name. The name isn't coming back, we are the Fighting Hawks until the NCAA removes their policy, or UND leaves the NCAA, so might as well start to accept the new name. You do realize a Fighting Hawk logo will appear in the REA, the Betty, the Alerus, and all other UND buildings. UND does gain control the the Betty and REA in 14 years. (Sept 30, 2030)      

For charitable tax reasons -- to prove the property valuable -- Engelstad's lease agreement with UND, however, state's he can own the facility until Sept. 30, 2030.

http://und-fraud.com/UND/Campus/Arena/engelstad_arena.htm

Is there really a "push" to return to the Sioux name?  I have never heard or seen anything in the media regarding this.  Maybe I'm not looking on the right websites.

As much as the new nickname sucks(my opinion), I think most educated people understand that it's not feasible to go back to Sioux.

11 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Is there really a "push" to return to the Sioux name?  I have never heard or seen anything in the media regarding this.  Maybe I'm not looking on the right websites.

As much as the new nickname sucks(my opinion), I think most educated people understand that it's not feasible to go back to Sioux.

There is always a push to bring back the name, everytime they bring Sioux gear into circulation it gets people's hopes up that it will return, prior to the Fighting Hawks name people wanted to have no nickname to further cheer for the Sioux and wear Sioux gear so much that the NCAA had to respond about having "no nickname at all". There was a push by Al Carlson and backed by many to have a state law requiring UND to be the Fighting Sioux. This thing has gone on too long, the Fighting Hawk (when the logo is chosen) will be all over UND, Grand Forks, ND, and beyond. People will embrace it, and people won't. But isn't it in bad taste to yell "Go Fighting Hawks" only to have people stare. I commented on a REA FB page with that comment, only to have people come back with " don't say that". Its very sad that this fanbase is still so divided on this issue that should have died in 2010. Boy that cooling off period messed things up, as we would've been with a new name for 6 years now.

• Upvote 1

I don't care what type of fan you want to associate as being or are being labeled as.  This concept really isn't that hard to understand.  Booing the Fighting Hawks name is not good for the University and its Athletic programs.  Don't boo the name of the school you cheer for.  How hard is this to understand?!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

There is always a push to bring back the name, everytime they bring Sioux gear into circulation it gets people's hopes up that it will return, prior to the Fighting Hawks name people wanted to have no nickname to further cheer for the Sioux and wear Sioux gear so much that the NCAA had to respond about having "no nickname at all". There was a push by Al Carlson and backed by many to have a state law requiring UND to be the Fighting Sioux. This thing has gone on too long, the Fighting Hawk (when the logo is chosen) will be all over UND, Grand Forks, ND, and beyond. People will embrace it, and people won't. But isn't it in bad taste to yell "Go Fighting Hawks" only to have people stare. I commented on a REA FB page with that comment, only to have people come back with " don't say that". Its very sad that this fanbase is still so divided on this issue that should have died in 2010. Boy that cooling off period messed things up, as we would've been with a new name for 6 years now.

The Al Carlson thing was years ago...I haven't heard anything about trying to bring the Sioux name back.  Releasing more Sioux gear is only to protect the trademark; it has nothing to do with bringing back the name.  If people think otherwise, they are not paying attention.

So a couple of weeks back I was in Fargo for my kid's hockey tournament.  We usually come up to Fargo/Moorhead once or twice a season, great town you got there.  We had games at Southwest and at Teamsters.  The interesting thing about Teamsters is that it is literally on the NDSU campus yet the Zamboni proudly has the Fighting Sioux logo displayed on the front of it and there is also Fighting Sioux logos and such in the locker rooms.  I know the locker rooms have been somewhat recently remodeled or repainted since we play in that building at least once a year and I don't remember any of these Fighting Sioux logos being displayed anytime before, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. 

Just thought it was interesting given the debate here about the "nickname" crowd being the "hockey only" crowd and how many of them are perceived to be NDSU/UND hockey only fans.

On February 23, 2016 at 8:23 AM, darell1976 said:

You don't have to support the new name, but don't be a jackass by booing it is the point. Go ahead and cheer go Sioux all you wish....some choose to cheer go Hawks.

Trump would tell the moderator, "You're fired!"

3 hours ago, Fetch said:

Can u imagine if that was a question to all President candidates 

Do u ever see a way or time the Fighting Sioux name & logo could come back ?

Wonder what they would say ?

That particular microphone would curiously stop working or worse, malfunction, thereby electrocuting the person asking the question.

2 minutes ago, Chewey said:

Didn't see a thread on this but the clock is ticking at NDSU regarding "culturally insensitive" references in their song, among other things.  "NDSU's system for confidential reporting of bias issues."  WTF?

It's in the football forum

On 2/23/2016 at 10:26 AM, darell1976 said:

You don't hear booing except at hockey games, and it was noticeable enough for the media to cover it. The main crowd behind Al Carlson's state law and to keep the name at all costs was the hockey only crowd because UND wasn't hosting an NCAA hockey playoff game only a conference playoff game. The real losers of that sanction was surprise surprise football and basketball, whose crowd has pretty much moved on while the hockey only crowd hasn't.

My God, Go to a hockey game once! The booing is the students! You know....teenagers, very young adults! Give it a rest!

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Chewey said:
23 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

My God, Go to a hockey game once! The booing is the students! You know....teenagers, very young adults! Give it a rest!

I'm sorry I didn't know you asked the 12k people who was booing and who wasn't and if they are a student.:silly:

I'm sorry I didn't know you asked the 12k people who was booing and who wasn't and if they are a student.:silly:

Can you hear? I can, I sit in 314 and all the booing comes from the exact same location.....every time, the student section!

Is there some scattered throughout, sure, (never hear it without the students) but the loud constant booing comes from next to and above the penalty boxes.

"12,000 people booing"... Wrong, I'm in there and I never boo, neither do any of my neighbors, except on a bad call against our favorite team.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Can you hear? I can, I sit in 314 and all the booing comes from the exact same location.....every time, the student section!

Is there some scattered throughout, sure, (never hear it without the students) but the loud constant booing comes from next to and above the penalty boxes.

"12,000 people booing"... Wrong, I'm in there and I never boo, neither do any of my neighbors, except on a bad call against our favorite team.

I wonder if those students will boo at the Alerus this fall or will it just die out as the Hawks name starts to grow. Also are people going to start singing "land of the free and home of the HAWKS"? I have noticed home of the Sioux have really died down. I do admit I said it at the Potato Bowl game but only because we didn't have a nickname.

I wonder if those students will boo at the Alerus this fall or will it just die out as the Hawks name starts to grow. Also are people going to start singing "land of the free and home of the HAWKS"? I have noticed home of the Sioux have really died down. I do admit I said it at the Potato Bowl game but only because we didn't have a nickname.

At the basketball game I heard nothing at the end of the national anthem and even some lets go hawks chants from the student section, I am more of a football and basketball fan than hockey, but that being said, I was at a hockey game a couple of weeks ago and it seemed more of the student section booing, but like u said there isn't booing at football and basketball games, I have accepted the new nickname and booing after "fighting Hawks at full strength" isn't something the student section or fans should do.

#go fighting hawks

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Tough for darelle1976 to hear anything from his perch in Fargo. He doesn't go to games but knows all about them I guess.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1