SiouxSports.com Forum

What makes a great sports logo?

The Sicatoka

Welcome to the reality of "Fighting Hawks". It is what it is. I believe in truth and truth is conformity of mind to reality. 

Fighting Hawks is here and real. So, in the spirit of truth and reality, we have to go with it. 

And now we need a logo. 

OK, I get that some folks are rolling out their personal designs. Have at it. 

Here I'd like the conversation to focus on "What makes a great sports logo"

The Capt. Obvious answer is a great team and winning tradition. Undoubtedly. The next is "the old logo". Sure, but in today's world that's not an option. (See above: truth.) 

So, moving beyond that, what else is there? 

I have some ideas of mine and others stolen from websites. 

I'd like to hear everyone's ideas on the concepts behind logos and not so much logo samples. 

My first notion: the simple, yet complex

The old Milwaukee Brewers glove logo. Or was it an "M", a "B", and a baseball? 

See that and other simple yet complex ideas here:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/sports-logos-hidden-images-milwaukee-brewers 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Angry logos try too hard. Confident logos are much stronger.

You said it here very well.

Ok, I love the most recent Sioux head logo as well as the previous Indian head logo from back in the '80's (my era in GF).   That said, I think the best logos are VERY simple logos that are easily visible and identifiable either large or small, close or far away.  These are images that are instantaneously identifiable and evoke the desired image of the team name/nickname.     For example, some of the very best, IMO:

Dallas Cowboys star 

Minnesota Vikings horns

Baltimore Colts horseshoe

San Diego Charger's lightningbolt

Oregon's "O"

Miami's "U"

Boston Red Sox "B"

UND Fighting Sioux geometric logo (hey, still the jersey I wear)

You know exactly what these are when you see them.  Simple, straight forward, iconic, strong, attractive, etc.

This takes nothing away from a great image like the Brien logo.   But I never bought a hat with that logo because once you are 10 feet away from it you don't know what it is.   It's pretty good on the front of a jersey, and a bigger image on the front of a sweatshirt, but never would have come off well on the side of a football helmet, IMO.   

Anyway, that's my take

(It's why I suggested the "Black Stripes" as a nickname option.    1 black censor bar on the jersey front, football helmet, or ball cap and everyone would have known what that was about.  Ok, well, in a years they would have, but hope you get my drift)

Edited by dagies

Based on what we have experienced I'm not confident - what we do have going for us is a new president who hopefully won't micromanage the process. But if it's done by committee again expect the worst - and again I will say no outisde organizations - meaning the Native American Cultural Center needs to be involved. 

You said it here very well.

Ok, I love the most recent Sioux head logo as well as the previous Indian head logo from back in the '80's (my era in GF).   That said, I think the best logos are VERY simple logos that are easily visible and identifiable either large or small, close or far away.  These are images that are instantaneously identifiable and evoke the desired image of the team name/nickname.     For example, some of the very best, IMO:

Dallas Cowboys star 

Minnesota Vikings horns

Baltimore Colts horseshoe

San Diego Charger's lightningbolt

Oregon's "O"

Miami's "U"

Boston Red Sox "B"

UND Fighting Sioux geometric logo (hey, still the jersey I wear)

You know exactly what these are when you see them.  Simple, straight forward, iconic, strong, attractive, etc.

This takes nothing away from a great image like the Brien logo.   But I never bought a hat with that logo because once you are 10 feet away from it you don't know what it is.   It's pretty good on the front of a jersey, and a bigger image on the front of a sweatshirt, but never would have come off well on the side of a football helmet, IMO.   

Anyway, that's my take

(It's why I suggested the "Black Stripes" as a nickname option.    1 black censor bar on the jersey front, football helmet, or ball cap and everyone would have known what that was about.  Ok, well, in a years they would have, but hope you get my drift)

Unfortunately, Notre Dame's interlocking ND probably belongs in the above list as well.

We all remember when Kelley decided to have 3 names advance to the runoff and he said that the winner of that would be the nickname.  The majority thought this was a horrible idea because the winner was sure to not have 50% of the vote.  So what did we do?  We emailed the people who make the decisions, voiced our concerns, and ultimately the process was changed to ensure a majority of at least 50% was required to select a new name.

This issue required the same response.  We do not need some outside firm from New York designing the new Fighting Hawks logo.  There are plenty of local people with local ties to the University and the state that can come up with something that will be far superior to what a design firm out wast could come up with.  Like I have said before, the last local guy with ties to the University designed a pretty good logo last time!!

So voice your concerns to the appropriate people.  You want to make a change in the process and make your voices heard?  Contact the people who have a say in the matter.  Let them know how UND's stakeholders feel.  Give them a change to hear and possibly change their mind on the process  It worked before, it can work again.

As always, be respectful in your emails.

robert.kelley@email.und.edu

peter.johnson@email.und.edu

We all remember when Kelley decided to have 3 names advance to the runoff and he said that the winner of that would be the nickname.  The majority thought this was a horrible idea because the winner was sure to not have 50% of the vote.  So what did we do?  We emailed the people who make the decisions, voiced our concerns, and ultimately the process was changed to ensure a majority of at least 50% was required to select a new name.

This issue required the same response.  We do not need some outside firm from New York designing the new Fighting Hawks logo.  There are plenty of local people with local ties to the University and the state that can come up with something that will be far superior to what a design firm out wast could come up with.  Like I have said before, the last local guy with ties to the University designed a pretty good logo last time!!

So voice your concerns to the appropriate people.  You want to make a change in the process and make your voices heard?  Contact the people who have a say in the matter.  Let them know how UND's stakeholders feel.  Give them a change to hear and possibly change their mind on the process  It worked before, it can work again.

As always, be respectful in your emails.

robert.kelley@email.und.edu

peter.johnson@email.und.edu

EXACTLY. LETTER SENT.

I think I'd take the best logo available at this point, to help salvage a weak nickname.  It would be fun if Bennett Brien ended up providing something great, but if the best logo comes from a designer in New York, Bratislava, etc., I'm still all for using it.

I have never seen anything bad come out of Bennett Briens art.

• Upvote 1