SiouxSports.com Forum

What makes a great sports logo?

The Sicatoka

We all remember when Kelley decided to have 3 names advance to the runoff and he said that the winner of that would be the nickname.  The majority thought this was a horrible idea because the winner was sure to not have 50% of the vote.  So what did we do?  We emailed the people who make the decisions, voiced our concerns, and ultimately the process was changed to ensure a majority of at least 50% was required to select a new name.

This issue required the same response.  We do not need some outside firm from New York designing the new Fighting Hawks logo.  There are plenty of local people with local ties to the University and the state that can come up with something that will be far superior to what a design firm out wast could come up with.  Like I have said before, the last local guy with ties to the University designed a pretty good logo last time!!

So voice your concerns to the appropriate people.  You want to make a change in the process and make your voices heard?  Contact the people who have a say in the matter.  Let them know how UND's stakeholders feel.  Give them a change to hear and possibly change their mind on the process  It worked before, it can work again.

As always, be respectful in your emails.

robert.kelley@email.und.edu

peter.johnson@email.und.edu

HA!  Mr. Kelley and Mr. Johnson couldn't give a Fighting Hawk's tail feathers what anyone thinks.  I thought that was already established...

HA!  Mr. Kelley and Mr. Johnson couldn't give a Fighting Hawk's tail feathers what anyone thinks.  I thought that was already established...

When I emailed in before about the winning name needing be at least a 50% majority, Peter Johnson replied back twice to my emails. These guys do read the emails they get. People voiced their opinion last time and they listened and changed the process. So they actually do care what people think. 

Welcome to the reality of "Fighting Hawks". It is what it is. I believe in truth and truth is conformity of mind to reality. 

Fighting Hawks is here and real. So, in the spirit of truth and reality, we have to go with it. 

And now we need a logo. 

OK, I get that some folks are rolling out their personal designs. Have at it. 

Here I'd like the conversation to focus on "What makes a great sports logo"

The Capt. Obvious answer is a great team and winning tradition. Undoubtedly. The next is "the old logo". Sure, but in today's world that's not an option. (See above: truth.) 

So, moving beyond that, what else is there? 

I have some ideas of mine and others stolen from websites. 

I'd like to hear everyone's ideas on the concepts behind logos and not so much logo samples. 

Will we get into trouble with the NCAA because of the feathers on the bird logo?  They are sacred to NA's after all....

Keep in mind that the logo is subject to NCAA approval, so I do not think this idea would work for that reason alone.  

But here goes...

From Wikipedia  "tomahawk (also referred to as a hawk) is a type of single-handed axe from North America, traditionally resembling a hatchet with a straight shaft.[1][2]The name came into the English language in the 17th century as an adaptation of the Powhatan (Virginian Algonquian) word."

What if the logo was the intercrossed ND with a pair of hawks above it, the hawks are unadorned by feathers, they are not primitive (not tied on by sinew) they are simple wooden shafts with a simple steel head.

good luck all...

batting500

Keep in mind that the logo is subject to NCAA approval, so I do not think this idea would work for that reason alone.  

But here goes...

From Wikipedia  "tomahawk (also referred to as a hawk) is a type of single-handed axe from North America, traditionally resembling a hatchet with a straight shaft.[1][2]The name came into the English language in the 17th century as an adaptation of the Powhatan (Virginian Algonquian) word."

What if the logo was the intercrossed ND with a pair of hawks above it, the hawks are unadorned by feathers, they are not primitive (not tied on by sinew) they are simple wooden shafts with a simple steel head.

good luck all...

batting500

if we get to be a tomahawk, i'll run  through a gauntlet of snowballs in front of the Ralph

A crude attempt at art on my part...

I will join you in your gauntlet run if this has any traction at all.  BUT...looking into the history of using the word hawk for a hatchet it may have origins in 1350-1400 from "hache"

newlogo.png

again, i think it's as frivolous exercise as has ever existed, but I think a tomahawk version of the Virginia logo with the ND( V w/crossed swords beneath it) could be cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

How about this Idea, who says that we need to have a bird as our mascot? Both the P-36 and P-40 WWII fighter aircraft were nicknamed Hawk or some variation of hawk. We could do that and change it to a WWII aviation theme.

The picture below is concept for Las Vegas's new NHL franchise, think that something similar could work well at UND.

unnamed.png

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 2:15 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Welcome to the reality of "Fighting Hawks". It is what it is. I believe in truth and truth is conformity of mind to reality. 

Fighting Hawks is here and real. So, in the spirit of truth and reality, we have to go with it. 

And now we need a logo. 

OK, I get that some folks are rolling out their personal designs. Have at it. 

Here I'd like the conversation to focus on "What makes a great sports logo"

The Capt. Obvious answer is a great team and winning tradition. Undoubtedly. The next is "the old logo". Sure, but in today's world that's not an option. (See above: truth.) 

So, moving beyond that, what else is there? 

I have some ideas of mine and others stolen from websites. 

I'd like to hear everyone's ideas on the concepts behind logos and not so much logo samples. 

First thought .... an sweet indian head moniker makes for a great sports logo :)

Well, it shouldn't look like the logo of the other team with a hawk for a nickname in North Dakota...

and, it shouldn't look like the logo of the other team with a hawk for a nickname in the NCHC...

and it shouldn't look like the logos of the other couple teams in the Big Sky conference with generic-looking raptors as mascots...

Did anybody do any research before deciding this would be a good idea for a nickname?

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2015 at 6:59 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:
On 12/17/2015 at 4:56 PM, johndahl said:

Well, it shouldn't look like the logo of the other team with a hawk for a nickname in North Dakota...

and, it shouldn't look like the logo of the other team with a hawk for a nickname in the NCHC...

and it shouldn't look like the logos of the other couple teams in the Big Sky conference with generic-looking raptors as mascots...

Did anybody do any research before deciding this would be a good idea for a nickname?

Exactly, what did this consulting firm do other than charge UND a lot of money? I think  that for the final five the should have had some concept art done for the logo.