SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. Minnesota in Las Vegas - October 2018

fargosioux

4 hours ago, Fetch said:

Did anyone ask Faison why they did not go for the bigger arena ?

I can't tell u how pizzed I'm going to be if I don't get tickets

I'm with ya Fetch. I have never had a desire to go to Vegas but this makes me want to go. Maybe they will see how fast the tickets go and move it to the new NHL arena. I can dream. 

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

This will undoubtedly be a big game, but will it be a big game because of nostalgia or because of competitive play?

1) Competitive play

2) It's Minnesota

3) It's Vegas - It will be easy to get to and a Vegas vacation can be relatively inexpensive.

43 minutes ago, SiouxperDave said:

1) Competitive play

2) It's Minnesota

3) It's Vegas - It will be easy to get to and a Vegas vacation can be relatively inexpensive.

Have you watched Minnesota at all in the past two years, its a program in decline.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Have you watched Minnesota at all in the past two years, its a program in decline.

The thing with the history of the rivalry is that no matter what team is up or which is down in talent...usually it's a competitive game.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

We should probably see how the series this fall and next turn out before we worry about how the Vegas game goes. 

• Upvote 2

Halloween weekend is a very popular weekend in Vegas, FYI.  Hotels cost more and fill up quicker than other weekends.  

If you can get there that just means it'll be more fun, but it may be harder to get the rooms you want and you may pay more for them.

11 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

They have had a couple down years for them, but no matter what you think of the Big Ten, they did win that conference.  I don't think you will see them down for that long, in fact playing them this year in Minneapolis isn't a sure sweep.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a split, because we are the Defending National Champs who are still their biggest rival.  They will be ready to play, and it will be early in the season where we will still be adjusting to not having many key cogs from our team last year.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

They have had a couple down years for them, but no matter what you think of the Big Ten, they did win that conference.  I don't think you will see them down for that long, in fact playing them this year in Minneapolis isn't a sure sweep.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a split, because we are the Defending National Champs who are still their biggest rival.  They will be ready to play, and it will be early in the season where we will still be adjusting to not having many key cogs from our team last year.  

As much as I hate the gophers they are still a good team and they will come to play against us. This is no automatic win for us, we will need to bring our A game like we have to for every other team. Just like UND, Minnesota is good and they won't be down for very long.

• Upvote 1

I know they're coming off of a down year, but over the past 5 seasons, Minnesota has 5 conference championships, 2 frozen four appearances including a runner-up finish just two seasons ago.  Outside of maybe a half dozen schools, every other team in college hockey would happily accept those results.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I disagree.  An off season or two does not define a program like Minnesota.  In just about any given 10-year span, past, present, or future, it will rank up there. 

And I"m glad they are good.  My gopher hate goes back to Bill Butters a LONG time ago, and it's sweeter when they are good.  

26 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Sounds like some wishful thinking on your part with absolutely nothing to back it up. They always have been and always will be a contender year in and year out, deal with it.

Like last year? And 2010-11?

I get that you like the Gophers but the contender year in and year out lately has been the team whose message board you're on.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Like last year? And 2010-11?

I get that you like the Gophers but the contender year in and year out lately has been the team whose message board you're on.

Definitely not nearly the "contender" UND has been.

...all I can say is just wait and watch...time has always proved me right. :lol:

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Last year the Gophers were on par with where North Dakota was in 2013-14, a team on the bubble that needed help to make the field of 16. Two years later UND won a national championship, which just goes to show how small the difference is between a bubble team and a national championship caliber team. In college hockey literally any of the top 20 to 25 teams can be legitimately called contenders. It wasn't that way back in the '80s and '90s when there was a pretty significant drop-off after the top half dozen or so teams, but now there are more and more teams that can hang with the top dogs. Still don't believe me? Just take a look at how 4 seeds have held their own vs. 1 seeds in NCAA tournament action ever since the tournament expanded from 12 teams to 16.

Your definition of a contender year in and year out is very different from mine. Noticed you didn't mention 10-11... Wait, would they have gone on a run if they did NOT get beat by Anchorage? :lol:

Last year UMN got throttled by in state competition and missed the NCAAs... Doesn't make them a contender. The down year you're comparing it to for UND saw them get to the frozen four. It may be a thin margin but that doesn't mean that everyone gets to be a contender.

• Upvote 1

I hate agreeing with DaveK but the Gophers have the talent to be very good. And a coach with two "Nattys" and a loss two years ago against a stacked union team. 

They're in a crap league but they're on the verge every year. 

Frozen Fours Past Decade:

North Dakota: 7

Minnesota: 2

......"but they have talent and name brand recognition."

...and now playing in the Big Ten has really hurt them, when you can win the conference and yet not make the National tournament...just the beginning or still in progress?

Minnesota might be "good" but no where near "North Dakota Good."

• Upvote 2

The Gophers are an elite college hockey program.  To say anything else is ignorant or throwing kerosine on the green colored glasses. its fun to hate them, but we hate them, because they are our equal.  Eye of the Tiger.  Steel on steel.  Best rivalry in college hockey because both programs get it done.  We have braggin rights now...

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Frozen Fours Past Decade:

North Dakota: 7

......"but they have talent and name brand recognition."

...and now playing in the Big Ten has really hurt them, when you can win the conference and yet not make the National tournament...just the beginning or still in progress?

Minnesota might be "good" but no where near "North Dakota Good."

National Championship appearances past decade:

North Dakota: 1

Minnesota: 1

National Championship appearances since UND won in 2000:

North Dakota: 3

Minnesota: 3

National Championships since UND won in 2000:

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, southpaw said:

National Championships past decade:

Minnesota: 0

National Semifinal appearances since UM won in 2003:

North Dakota: 8

Minnesota: 3

National Championships since UM won in 2003:

Minnesota: 0

Well said. :D

• Upvote 2

Nevermind the question about whether or not Minnesota's program is in a state of decay, the REAL question that needs an answer before the big Vegas game is this:

Does DaveK wear his Casey Mittelstadt Gopher jersey or go with his Phil Kessel Pengiuns jersey?  :glare:

• Upvote 3