SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye Week

SWSiouxMN

I realize we have a lack of depth & our kick coverage has been poor, but I hate that we have some starters & important players (like Oliveira) running down the field covering kicks.

Traditionally we've always put good players on special teams. Thats why we usually win the special teams phase of the game.

Traditionally we've always put good players on special teams. Thats why we usually win the special teams phase of the game.

Yeah, I get that... but our kick coverage has still been pretty poor this year.  Hate to see a guy like Oliveira or Ratelle get hurt covering kicks & miss significant time.

No-win situation. Higher risk of injury and we don't have enough depth at this point to put quality back-ups on special teams.  That will change.

Yeah, I get that... but our kick coverage has still been pretty poor this year.  Hate to see a guy like Oliveira or Ratelle get hurt covering kicks & miss significant time.

No-win situation. Higher risk of injury and we don't have enough depth at this point to put quality back-ups on special teams.  That will change.

I'm more worried about other teams players getting hurt with Ratelle out there on kick coverage.

From a selfish perspective, definitely want PSU and Montana State to win to make UND's wins look better.

An Idaho St win would be nice to make that loss look less bad.  I don't think it will taint people's view of Montana to the point where the loss to them looks any worse than it already does.

From a selfish perspective, definitely want PSU and Montana State to win to make UND's wins look better.

An Idaho St win would be nice to make that loss look less bad.  I don't think it will taint people's view of Montana to the point where the loss to them looks any worse than it already does.

Agreed, in fact most of my post was for selfish UND reasons. ISU beating MT would make our loss to ISU look a little better, but more importantly would take the Grizz out of the playoff picture.

I wasn't sure what to think of that but I think I agree with your thought process. UND's losses were to both teams were bad, but in completely different ways.  I don't see Montana running the table to get to 7 wins and cloud the playoff bubble even more and it would be nice for UND's sake if ISU were to pick up another couple wins.

Agreed, in fact most of my post was for selfish UND reasons. ISU beating MT would make our loss to ISU look a little better, but more importantly would take the Grizz out of the playoff picture.

ISU's QB has been out for a couple weeks and is out this week, also.  Big loss.  He blew up against us and then got hurt the next week.

With UND sitting behind 5 teams in the standing, there is plenty of football to follow on Saturday, with UND having the weekend off. These games could all factor into UND's playoff picture. Bottom line is that UND needs to take care of its own business, BUT since they can't do anything this weekend, here are some things to watch.

E Washington vs. N Arizona: As N.Arizona is 3-2 in the conference and 5-3 overall, it would really help UND to have them get another loss or two on their record. That starts this weekend as they travel to Cheney. E. Washington has had several close games (5pt win over Mt St, 8pt win over Sac State, 1pt win over Cal Poly, 2pt win over N Colorado, and 1 pt win over Weber St.) That being said, the eagles have not lost at home. Go Eagles!

Southern Utah @ Mt St: This could get interesting with the Bobcats out of the playoff picture. I'd imagine Prukop will want to bounce back, and while SUU has the leagues top Pass defense, they need to be able to containg Prukops run game. This could be another high scoring shootout. SUU has put up big points on everyone since losing to SDSU (and almost knocking off Utah St before that), but they finish the season with  Mt St, PSU, and NAU. Big weekend for them, because if they lose to the bobcats then their playoff picture gets a little fuzzier. Go Bobcats!

Portland St @ N Colorado: PSU should take care of business, and this is only interesting since we play a similar style to them, and we play N. Colorado next week. PSU will make the playoff, so we might as well see N Colorado get knocked around a bit before they come to GF. Go Vikings!

Montana @ Idaho St: Which Grizz team shows up? The one that smoked us, or the one that lost to Liberty? And Idaho St win would put Montana at 5 losses and out of the playoffs. Montana needs to run the table against Idaho St, E. Washington and Mt St. to make the playoffs. Go Bengals!

awesome work. I was going to look into a "who don't I like this week" list for myself since we're left standing watching. 

• Upvote 1

ISU's QB has been out for a couple weeks and is out this week, also.  Big loss.  He blew up against us and then got hurt the next week.

Thats too bad, because after playing Montana, ISU plays Weber and MT St, both of which are relevant. If ISU is going to get another win, I hope they find a way to grind it out this weekend.

Is Montana State still relevant?

Their four wins to date are over Ft. Lewis (DII), Cal-Poly, SacSt, and East Tenn State (a revived first year program). 

Even if they win out (SUU, ISU, Montana), that's only six DI wins and one is shady (ETSU). 

I see Montana State in the spoiler role for SUU, ISU, and the Griz, and nothing more. 

• Upvote 1

Is Montana State still relevant?

Their four wins to date are over Ft. Lewis (DII), Cal-Poly, SacSt, and East Tenn State (a revived first year program). 

Even if they win out (SUU, ISU, Montana), that's only six DI wins and one is shady (ETSU). 

I see Montana State in the spoiler role for SUU, ISU, and the Griz, and nothing more. 

Exactly. I might not have been clear on that, but that's why I'm pulling for them. especially against SUU.