SiouxSports.com Forum

Predict the outcome

jimdahl

I sure hope so. I have a feeling it has been the choice of the silent majority for a long-time, but supporters have been much quieter and reserved than the Fighting Sioux Hardliners, the No-Namers and the Nodakers (there is considerable overlap amongst those three groups, but it isn't 100%).

I guess we'll find out later this month.

yup, the roughrider supporters have been quiet as a mouse, especially on this site.   Lol

There is one thing that everyone can agree on.  And that is we are all very passionate about UND sports.  The nickname of our sports teams is very important to all of us.  It will be what we will identify as UND fans for years to come.  I hope that once a new nickname is selected, a logo is made, and the teams go forward with both, that we can turn all this passion from nickname debates to being passionate about our UND athletic teams and players.  I know that we are all looking forward to finally doing that.

nice post about Teddy.

lots of nickname ideas in there that could've honored Teddy and his time in North Dakota.  Too bad they decided to go with a choice from a completely different part of his life and different part of the country.

I do think it's valid that the Roughriders only  existed because of how North Dakota shaped his life. It's not a perfect nickname by any means. How can we be expected to find two perfect nicknames? It's not the perfection of Fighting Sioux but it is certainly better than Flickertails. 

A run-off between Roughriders and Nodaks.  The run-off will be won by Roughriders, largely due to Nodaks not being defined.  Since no one knows what it is, or how to define it (in terms of a sports team and logo), many will pick the familiar logo options of Teddy or a horse.  Others will now say that being undefined is what makes it appealing, but I'm not debating, just predicting :)

And North Stars is still the best name, IMHO!

Agreed - If Minnesotans are offended, too bad - you had a chance to use it and opted not to.  We will put the name to good use and make it famous.

Here's my take -- as I said at the beginning, we all agree that the polls here aren't representative. So, the game is try to figure out how the population of 80,000 voters differs from us.

Anyone who bothers to register for an account on this forum is paying a lot more attention to UND athletics than the average eligible voter. So, I'll guess that the average voter would be less influenced than us by the debates and trends that have moved names up and down the last few months. So, I'll guess that the first round voting looks a lot more like the poll from the summer, which was our first reactions to the names:

We've seen people here say that their first choice was North Stars / Fighting Hawks / Sundogs, but that they voted Nodaks or Roughriders so as not to waste their vote. I don't think that trend carries into the general population, so I think those three do better than they're doing in our exit poll. The question is does one of them rise up enough to take #1 or #2 (assuming a runoff). 

I would guess Nodaks doesn't do as well in the general population as it's doing here, again because the general population wasn't in on the debate that led to its recent surge. Instead, a neutral person looking at the ballot should have a reaction to Nodaks much more like most of us did back in July. The question is how many not-paying-attention alums saw some of the Herald's publicity push for Nodaks and latched onto it.

Roughriders is a tricky one. I think North Dakotans in general have an initial positive reaction because of the association with the state and it has an advantage being the only nickname that's a person. But, while most of us brush off the Grand Forks high school angle as unimportant, I wonder if that's more of a factor in Grand Forks (I'm hypothesizing that the voting pool is more Grand Forks-centric than this forum).

It seems like Nodaks should've picked up some ground, even among the general voting pool, so a Roughriders / Nodaks runoff still seems like the safest place to put your money. But, I wouldn't be shocked if Fighting Hawks (or one of the others) displaced one of them.

• Upvote 3

Last day of the vote and Nodaks is making a push on the exit poll on SS. Is that a reflection a surge in the official tally?

doubt that either North Stars or even Sundogs actually come out as low and also think there will be more support for Fighting Hawks outside this forum. Will it be enough to displace Nodaks or Roughriders? My guess is that this forum would tend to be more aligned with the hockey team's wishes , or any of the athletes for that matter, than the other 75,000 or so people eligible to vote. Are any of the names strong enough among the casual fan or even the interested alumni to get them to actually take the time to make sure they can vote?

Since the email addresses in the UND.edu domain are the automatic votes, the preferences of the students and faculty will play a larger part in the final tally. With the students, it sounds like they are leaning toward Fighting Hawks iirc, while I expect that the faculty may be more Sundog supporters than most of the public.

Many alumni out of the area will more than likely not be following the debate closely enough to have heard the hockey team references or the discussions about the dozens of other _____ Hawk names and other reasons covered on the forum. The alumni who are hockey supporters more than other sports may be more likely to vote than the general casual fan, but they may prefer the North Stars name, especially those in the cities.

The Roughrider reference as the state nickname, even if it's unofficial, will have more support from the out of region alumni, the question is, will they vote?

so, predicting an upset ... Fighting Hawks will sneak into second place ahead of Nodaks, Sundogs may hit double digits, but barely. North Stars will also pick up support, but not enough.

Run-off between Fighting Hawks and Roughriders. In the end, the Hawks pick up the anti-Roughrider vote and the new name you hear will be University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hawks.

btw- voted Roughriders

have made no secret of my dislike for Nodaks 

I'll guess NoDaks wins.  I'm shocked the poll on this site shows RR and Nodaks so close given the number of regulars who support the RR name. 

that's why im guessing RR wins bc I think we make up the silent majority (unlike me on here stirring the pot a little)...i'll be happy with any of the four as LONG AT IT ISN'T SUNDOGS!!!

There will need to be a run off between Nodaks and Roughriders.

President Kelly throws a curveball and adds University of North Dakota/No Nickname back into the mix

3 days prior to the vote, President Kelly will retract this option for reason best known to himself.

2 days prior to the vote President Kelly will announce he will re-consider using University of North Dakota/No Nickname on the ballot

1 day prior to the vote President Kelly will announce the run off vote will NOT includes University of North Dakota/No Nickname.

Run off vote will be split exactly 50/50

President Kelly announces that going forward the school will be known as the University of Nodak Fighting SunRider Stars. A logo has yet to be determined, but it will involve rainbows.

jk, I want Nodaks, but I think it will be Roughriders in a close one.

I would guess Nodaks doesn't do as well in the general population as it's doing here, again because the general population wasn't in on the debate that led to its recent surge. Instead, a neutral person looking at the ballot should have a reaction to Nodaks much more like most of us did back in July.

But, I wouldn't be shocked if Fighting Hawks (or one of the others) displaced one of them.

Heard it here first ;)

Can't believe they broke their own rules to let the establishment favorite #3 vote getter in... I used to be among those defending the process.

Edited by jimdahl
  • Upvote 2

There will need to be a run off between Nodaks and Roughriders.

President Kelly throws a curveball and adds University of North Dakota/No Nickname back into the mix

3 days prior to the vote, President Kelly will retract this option for reason best known to himself.

2 days prior to the vote President Kelly will announce he will re-consider using University of North Dakota/No Nickname on the ballot

1 day prior to the vote President Kelly will announce the run off vote will NOT includes University of North Dakota/No Nickname.

Run off vote will be split exactly 50/50

President Kelly announces that going forward the school will be known as the University of Nodak Fighting SunRider Stars. A logo has yet to be determined, but it will involve rainbows.

jk, I want Nodaks, but I think it will be Roughriders in a close one.

actually kinda close if you switch a couple names around...might be closer still after the second vote...or third vote? 

Edited by SIOUXFAN97

Last day of the vote and Nodaks is making a push on the exit poll on SS. Is that a reflection a surge in the official tally?

doubt that either North Stars or even Sundogs actually come out as low and also think there will be more support for Fighting Hawks outside this forum. Will it be enough to displace Nodaks or Roughriders? My guess is that this forum would tend to be more aligned with the hockey team's wishes , or any of the athletes for that matter, than the other 75,000 or so people eligible to vote. Are any of the names strong enough among the casual fan or even the interested alumni to get them to actually take the time to make sure they can vote?

Since the email addresses in the UND.edu domain are the automatic votes, the preferences of the students and faculty will play a larger part in the final tally. With the students, it sounds like they are leaning toward Fighting Hawks iirc, while I expect that the faculty may be more Sundog supporters than most of the public.

Many alumni out of the area will more than likely not be following the debate closely enough to have heard the hockey team references or the discussions about the dozens of other _____ Hawk names and other reasons covered on the forum. The alumni who are hockey supporters more than other sports may be more likely to vote than the general casual fan, but they may prefer the North Stars name, especially those in the cities.

The Roughrider reference as the state nickname, even if it's unofficial, will have more support from the out of region alumni, the question is, will they vote?

so, predicting an upset ... Fighting Hawks will sneak into second place ahead of Nodaks, Sundogs may hit double digits, but barely. North Stars will also pick up support, but not enough.

Run-off between Fighting Hawks and Roughriders. In the end, the Hawks pick up the anti-Roughrider vote and the new name you hear will be University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hawks.

btw- voted Roughriders

have made no secret of my dislike for Nodaks 

off by a little, thought Roughriders would maintain the lead over Fighting Hawks this round, but looks like the tenor of the prediction may be spot in on.