SiouxSports.com Forum

University of north dakota fighting nodaks

fightingsioux08

So you'll guarantee a NoDak logo wouldn't be PC because of UND admin?  I'll guarantee a RR logo won't have military implications.

We could have insisted that any logo be voted on, but we didnt and the UND admin hasn't offered,

Like I said. anyone who has taken a freshmen marketing class would have handled this better than President Kelley. The fact that there wasn't potential logos and branding and marketing plans when it got down to 10-12 names as absolutely backwards.

Why do you automatically assume that is the sole reason anyone would choose Nodaks? Couldn't possibly be because they don't like the remaining options? Personally I don't like any of them I don't like Nodaks the least.

Sounds to me like you just don't like Nodaks, and you're pissed off that enough people do like it that it may actually win. While that is understandable, grouping everyone reasoning together and accusing their votes of being made in bitterness is a little unnecessary.

Do you plan to stop supporting the teams or programs if they become the Nodaks? I know I won't retract my support if they are the Roughriders, even if that wasn't my vote. Might be time to chill out a bit, this vote isn't exactly ideal for anyone.

haven't you been paying attention?;)

That is exactly how this works.???

If I don't want a new name chosen from these 5 it has to be that I want Fighting Sioux back and no name would ever be good enough for me even though that is completely inaccurate.

People need to remember that message boards like this one are a tiny representation of the real world outside. I was back at homecoming and have been to all the football games and as some one who was in a house while in college and has remained pretty active in attending UND events(mostly sports) both home and away over the last 25 years or so I have had opportunity to meet and interact with many fellow alum and of the 150-200 I run into or see on a regular basis it is accurate to say that a good 90% of them were probably in favor of going forward with no name for now and of that 90% there are probably 2% who actually think that the Sioux name has a chance to return.

• Upvote 1

Like I said. anyone who has taken a freshmen marketing class would have handled this better than President Kelley. The fact that there wasn't potential logos and branding and marketing plans when it got down to 10-12 names as absolutely backwards.

I'll bite.

What good are "potential logos and branding and marketing plans"?  With the nickname crazies among us, they hardly remember exactly what you told them a week ago.  Do you think anyone would remember they had been told that the logo they fell in love with was "potential"?  What happens when the adopted logo differs in some way…anarchy?  What if a 'bad' preliminary design were hastily put together for a 'good' name, and it got trounced?

What about cost.  "Logos and branding and marketing plans" cost money.  With what has been spent already, if you went forward and spent $5-10k per name when you knew that 9-11 of them were going to go straight into the trash, people would have lost their $hit.

You can certainly disagree, but what you cannot do is say that setting apart nickname and logo selection was wrong or even necessarily bad in all respects.  Why not have some time for thoughtful reflection and cooling off?  Rather than spend $100k on logos you weren't going to use anyway, you can spend more on a quality logo for the name you have.  Then, when the logo launch rolls around, hopefully some of the nickname rifts have healed.

You and the hockey players?

It's a great way to almost not have a nickname and keep the Fighting Sioux alive!!

It's a great logo by itself. Many schools like Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Nebraska have made great brands with unique names without a characterized logo.

Someone made a great point about differentiating ourselves from Notre Dame. That is a good reason for a new logo but still not a necessity. 

But for the record, Fighting Sioux will never die before I do. I couldn't help that even if I wanted to

Edited by GreenWing
  • Upvote 1

So, it has come down to this.  The no nickname crowd is so angry that they are willing to saddle UND with a stupid nickname  like "Nodaks"?  

Pathetic.  

This is too funny!  It was only a few months ago that Hayduke and the other half dozen of you repeatedly chastised the "no nickname crowd" for not respecting the process when North Dakota was dropped as an option.  Now you're chastising the no nickname crowd for respecting and taking part in the process.  Too bad "Fighting Hypocrites" wasn't a nickname option for you guys.  I'm glad the six of you, jdub and fightingsundogs4life included, are finally realizing that this nickname process definitely has not lived up to its potential.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This is too funny!  It was only a few months ago that Hayduke and the other half dozen of you repeatedly chastised the "no nickname crowd" for not respecting the process when North Dakota was dropped as an option.  Now you're chastising the no nickname crowd for respecting and taking part in the process.  Too bad "Fighting Hypocrites" wasn't a nickname option for you guys.  I'm glad the six of you, jdub and fightingsundogs4life included, are finally realizing that this nickname process definitely has not lived up to its potential.

I love it! "Fighting hypocrites" :lol:

So true!

• Upvote 1

You can't dny that Nodaks is the overwhelming favorite of those that supported the  "North Dakota" option.  Besides being similar to "North Dakota" and that we kind of used it 80 years ago, why is Nodaks a good name?  

I'm not trying to deny anything. I already said I don't think any of the names are good, but I though Nodaks was the best of the choices given. And even if it is similar to North Dakota, and that is someone's choice for voting for it, who cares? Thats we we all get a vote ... because we all have an opinion. Don't get me wrong, I think voting for Sundogs is ridiculous, but if someone really thinks that is the best option, then thats why they get to vote.

I guess I don't understand if you are criticizing "Nodaks", or peoples individual reasons for voting for it.

Truth is, it doesn't matter. At the end of this, there will be a new name, and we'll all just have to live with it.

you could save some money by buying either a nodak mutual insurance shirt, a nodak cab shirt, or a nodak electric cooperative hoodie, nodak outdoors hockey jersey, nodak records hat, or a nodak angler winter gloves? 

You could buy a condom.  Or stop by the local high school.  Or if you wanted to be a bit more extravagant, drive over to JCPenney and buy some front butt mom jeans by Lee.   Riders! 

• Downvote 2

Excellent post.   Shows how everyone is just angling for their favorite choice and will say anything to support it and also to diminish the others.

Excellent post.   Shows how everyone is just angling for their favorite choice and will say anything to support it and also to diminish the others.

yeah, to the point of calling an American hero a racist, not taking the times he lived in into consideration.  Heck, we should rename all of the schools in this nation named after Washington and Lincoln because of their racist views!

• Upvote 1

yeah, to the point of calling an American hero a racist, not taking the (quote out of context...) times he lived in into consideration.  Heck, we should rename all of the schools in this nation named after Washington and Lincoln because of their racist views!

yeah, to the point of calling an American hero a racist, not taking the times he lived in into consideration.  Heck, we should rename all of the schools in this nation named after Washington and Lincoln because of their racist views!

exactly.   turn about is fair play.  for several months, every post against roughriders has been met with a barrage of condescending posts.    but if someone is a roughrider supporter, I suppose this is a great excuse/guilt trip so others don't point out the ridiculousness of your favorite choice. 

Well I'm glad you can throw the racist card out there like Al Sharpton to further your agenda. Almost as bad as people calling people that supported the Fighting Sioux nickname racist when they knew it was a source of pride, not mockery! There may actually come a time where people will look back, much like people are with Roosevelt, and say what were those people thinking, using a Native American image as a logo.

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 1

so it's ok to call those of us supporting nodaks stupid, but it's not ok to post  words from the mouth of teddy Roosevelt?  like I said, everyone has posted stuff to support their agenda.  if you are bothered by some direct quotes from the one man who is the only link between the state of north Dakota and the nickname roughriders, you should maybe consider a different nickname choice, rather than getting upset at the people posting direct quotes.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

so it's ok to call those of us supporting nodaks stupid, but it's not ok to post  words from the mouth of teddy Roosevelt?  like I said, everyone has posted stuff to support their agenda.  if you are bothered by some direct quotes from the one man who is the only link between the state of north Dakota and the nickname roughriders, you should maybe consider a different nickname choice, rather than getting upset at the people posting direct quotes.

Don't believe I've called anyone stupid, or a racist, but yeah I've posted stuff to support my agenda.  Personally, I wouldn't go to those lengths, but to each his own.

Edited by tnt

• UNDBIZ locked this topic