SiouxSports.com Forum

On To The Griz

geaux_sioux

In regards to the QB depth chart I will side on giving Bubba the benefit of the doubt.  Plain and simple, somehow, some way, Keaton wins ballgames.  He is not the prettiest, but he has good feet and manages the game the way the OC and Bubba want it managed.  Bartels has played well at times, but not recently.  He was #2 all fall and deserves a fair shot.  Mollberg has had health issues and probably will continue to have them in the future, inside or outside of football.  My best guess is that later in the game, Bubba did not want to put Mollberg into a situation where the Griz defense was coming hard and fast with absolutely no concern for the run.  Mollberg would have been a sitting duck.  I am confident that Mollberg will get a shot this week if Keaton is not ready.  Bartels may start, but I am sure the coaches will do their best to have Joe ready if Keaton is not ready.  I am sure they will be telling that to everybody who dresses... "Be ready.... If the guy on the field is struggling... you are next in..."

Bubba certainly has been given a grace period (and probably deservedly so given the mess he inherited) - we have all of our eggs in the Bubba Ball basket - smash face football appeals to Sioux fans because it is far from Muss and because that's what we played (although we had great QB play) when we were a DII power.  However, this may be Bubba's first test - do you do something with an O coordinator that has been out-adjusted almost every game and has made poor personnel decisions or do we plan to wait until we have an Alabama type line and pound the rock?  We have to have a counter to "8 in the box" or we are going to be in for a bad time.  If Woody Hayes were dropped into the Big 10 how do you think he would do?  Stop the run and establish our run may not be a complete formula - Bubba's challenge now is one of being flexible.  I hope he can because if this is a bust we will approach two decades of futility.  Time for Molberg.  

• Upvote 2

You can put a square peg in a round hole less it is smaller.  our offense is built for a mobile QB.  Battles and Milberg are not.  we do not have the depth on this team yet.  maybe Heidelbaugh or a new recruit will fine that need.  injuries are a bitch we need to live with them.  If Studsrud is not ready and I assume he won't be.  I could care less which one plays (Bartels or Molberg).  They are both temporary fixes.  We may win or lose with them but let the coaches decide whom they believe will give the best chance to win.  quit beating a dead horse.

You can put a square peg in a round hole less it is smaller.  our offense is built for a mobile QB.  Battles and Milberg are not.  we do not have the depth on this team yet.  maybe Heidelbaugh or a new recruit will fine that need.  injuries are a bitch we need to live with them.  If Studsrud is not ready and I assume he won't be.  I could care less which one plays (Bartels or Molberg).  They are both temporary fixes.  We may win or lose with them but let the coaches decide whom they believe will give the best chance to win.  quit beating a dead horse.

I couldn't disagree more. Mollberg could be the man if given the chance.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The whole QB situation is alarming to say the least.   I'm not overly fond of any of them.   Studs isn't much better than average and the other two never lived up to the hype they came in with.   What has me concerned is, if Studs don't improve greatly, we deal with this same garbage next year again.   Somehow we need to recruit better QB's and enough of them to have some depth.   Look at NDSU, the great Wentz goes down and from what I'm hearing the new guy comes in and doesn't miss a beat.   This needs to change or we will be mediocre for a long time.

Studs has shown flashes of promise at times, but we need a whole lot more of this.

• Downvote 1

The whole QB situation is alarming to say the least.   I'm not overly fond of any of them.   Studs isn't much better than average and the other two never lived up to the hype they came in with.   What has me concerned is, if Studs don't improve greatly, we deal with this same garbage next year again.   Somehow we need to recruit better QB's and enough of them to have some depth.   Look at NDSU, the great Wentz goes down and from what I'm hearing the new guy comes in and doesn't miss a beat.   This needs to change or we will be mediocre for a long time.

Studs has shown flashes of promise at times, but we need a whole lot more of this.

takes time.

Although Bartle's is terrible and this conversation is completely valid.  I think our receivers are just as much of the problem, if not more, than the quarterback.  NOBODY IS EVER OPEN!!!!  And although everybody seems to love Freund, his coaching record the past couple years does NOT look good at all.....   I think Freund's contract needs to be looked at seriously.  

As per Bartle's vs Mollberg, at least Mollberg can through a decent ball.  He has the arm strength and leadership ability to lead a D1 football team.  The only thing missing is decision making, as he has thrown WAY too many interceptions throughout his career.  Between Bartles and Mollberg, Mollberg clearly has the much higher ceiling.

• Upvote 2

don't know. I don't talk to the coaches. I'm trying to point out he is a good student and outstanding young man. There is no reason for class B to even hint at character or work ethic issue. I may disagree with those don't think he can play as well as I think he can and my opinion isn't any more valid than theirs. I'm just a fan.  No call for unwarranted cheap shots. 

Guys, I've always been pro-Mollberg and I still am. I'm saying that given the information we have and the angles we're taking (4.0 student, team guy, good passer, slightly better mobility than Bartels), the situation doesn't make sense.

Do we think Bubba is a guy who does things that don't make sense? I don't think so. I think we have faith in this team because he is the opposite of that. I was playing devil's advocate, trying to see the situation through a different lens.

Looking back at my comment, yes I retract the last part. That comes across as really suggestive and not what I was going for. I did not mean to take a potshot at Mollberg. If you look through my post history you'll see that there is a subtle pro-Mollberg flavor.

Santiago makes him look good!  Santiago is an all American, let's enjoy his time at und 

That's BS, he is very good and getting better but has had a bunch bad plays and screw ups as well (fumbles).  Garmin wasn't a good back at UND until the very end of his career, I think the OC should get a little credit for that.  I get that a lot on this board don't like PR but you have to be somewhat objective when looking at the situation.  You don't get to cast all the blame at him and then give him zero credit for the good things that have happened.  I certainly question some things, but I really think he has done OK with the offensive talent UND has right now.   

• Upvote 3

Rudolph is the OC.  The OC makes the call on who is behind center...not Bubba the HC.  Joe not getting a shot at this stage of the season rests on Rudolph IMO.

Is that really true?  I ask because I really don't know.  The head coach may delegate, but in the end, the buck stops with Bubba.  He had to see the way Bartels was playing on Saturday, and it wasn't good.  It was bad.  Keep in mind, I've always preferred Bartels to Mollberg since they both came in.  But what has been happening behind center the last two games has been really concerning. 

This team needs a spark.  I really don't think Mollberg is a much of an upgrade over Bartels, but at this point he needs to be given a shot IMO.  Maybe the team will respond to Mollberg calling signals.  I think one of Studsrud's best qualities is his leadership.  It think Mollberg and Bartels have similar skill sets, but maybe Mollberg can be a better leader out on the field.  He got off to a slow start last season as the starter but was playing well when he went down.

Is that really true?  I ask because I really don't know.  The head coach may delegate, but in the end, the buck stops with Bubba.  He had to see the way Bartels was playing on Saturday, and it wasn't good.  It was bad.  Keep in mind, I've always preferred Bartels to Mollberg since they both came in.  But what has been happening behind center the last two games has been really concerning. 

This team needs a spark.  I really don't think Mollberg is a much of an upgrade over Bartels, but at this point he needs to be given a shot IMO.  Maybe the team will respond to Mollberg calling signals.  I think one of Studsrud's best qualities is his leadership.  It think Mollberg and Bartels have similar skill sets, but maybe Mollberg can be a better leader out on the field.  He got off to a slow start last season as the starter but was playing well when he went down.

I'm sorry but Bartels has zero advantages over Mollberg. Their skill set is similar in that they are asked to throw the ball. That's it. Kid can't throw a spiral. His release is longer than Tebows. He panicks in the pocket. He can't hang on to the ball. He throws awful picks. He can't run a lick. And he can't win games. His record speaks for itself.

I'm not sure of Mollberg's running ability post injury but he was always way better then Bartles IMO. Not as fast or as alusive as Studs though.

I know that I'm entitled to my own opinion as are you.

Your opinion is a safe one; hard to imagine Mollberg would play much worse than Bartels did against Montana. With that said, Mollberg's mobility may be significantly impaired, despite what some say on this board. The staff thought a lot of Mollberg last year for him to be named the starter over Bartels, so why did Bartels win the backup job over Mollberg this season? Seems to me that Mollberg just ain't the same ol' gunslinger some on this board thinks he is. Even with that, though, Bartels hasn't impressed and he may lose his spot because of it. 

He needs to be gone at the end of the year, if we didn't have a running game, we wouldn't win a game all year.

I wonder how much Rudolph's family situation is affecting him.  It can't be easy having your family still in Minot and you trying to do your job 3 hours away.  It's got to be  hard never being able to see any of your son's football games,  especially with the great season Minot High is having.

I wonder how much Rudolph's family situation is affecting him.  It can't be easy having your family still in Minot and you trying to do your job 3 hours away.  It's got to be  hard never being able to see any of your son's football games,  especially with the great season Minot High is having.

I didn't realize all of that. I'm sure it cant be helping at all.

Thanks for the personal touch on a message board.  Leave his personal life off here.  Not cool. 

His family is in another town 3 hours away, they aren't dying.  

Edited by UND1983
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the personal touch on a message board.  Leave his personal life off here.  Not cool. 

I dono,   I think its kind of a refreshing change of pace, so everyone can remember were talking about real humans. 

I think we need a QB change to, but the way most are posting about bartels, its like he killed off the last unicorn or something.

Go ahead and be critical, but dont be a keyboard warrior, it makes you look stupid.

• Upvote 1