SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber Game Thread

bincitysioux

Maybe I'm extra frustrated because crapping the bed in the 4th quarter is the exact opposite of what I expected from Bubba Ball.  I thought by now he would have mentally tough, assignment sharp teams, not this crapfest we have been seeing in the 4th quarter.  

• Upvote 2

exactly. easier said than done, but its their job to get it done. Too bad they blew such a great oppotunity. Hopefully they come out strong in MT.

Like someone said they had 5 opportunities, have to get a few first downs and keep the clock running. A wildcat may be the answer since it was Studs who often converted a 3rd down by using his legs. 

Also we need to find a quarterback in the future that has consistency and accuracy. We currently have a a couple of backs expecially Santiago that can carry us on the ground, but no pass accuracy to back up a long situation. 

I do wonder what happened to Georges that he wasn't able to come out on the last drive.

Maybe I'm extra frustrated because crapping the bed in the 4th quarter is the exact opposite of what I expected from Bubba Ball.  I thought by now he would have mentally tough, assignment sharp teams, not this crapfest we have been seeing in the 4th quarter.  

Agree..............I keep waiting to see the head coach fidget with his headset and run his fingers thru his hair incessantly.

Like someone said they had 5 opportunities, have to get a few first downs and keep the clock running. A wildcat may be the answer since it was Studs who often converted a 3rd down by using his legs. 

Also we need to find a quarterback in the future that has consistency and accuracy. We currently have a a couple of backs expecially Santiago that can carry us on the ground, but no pass accuracy to back up a long situation. 

I do wonder what happened to Georges that he wasn't able to come out on the last drive.

Yep, either Studrud needs to figure out the passing game or he won't last long. Not sure how mobile or accurate Heidlebaugh is? Is he really the next guy, or with the next guy being coming up in the next recruiting class?

Wow....I agree....those two TO's were horrible.  I thought on the fumble they were saying that Bartels was trying to hand off but got hit before he could, but that obviously wasn't the case.  He totally saw that guy coming and had some time and is no way he should have fumbled that....wow. 

That might be the worst INT I have ever seen.  For you all you "the backup is better" people, watch this highlights above.  He is clueless when they send any pressure at all.  

"We want Joe...we want Joe...we want Joe..."

• Upvote 1

"We want Joe...we want Joe...we want Joe..."

Let's trust the coaches, shall we? They see the players every day in practice. Everyone wanted Bartels to get a shot before Studsrud's injury, and now people want Mollberg. It just never ends. Soon people will be calling for students off the street to play QB. Let's just relax and allow the coaches to do their job. I think the coaches need to get on the players and get them to work harder. Also, the offensive coaches need to look themselves in the mirror and ask what they can change up to allow for better offensive efficiency in the 4th quarter. The wins are right there for them, yet they aren't closing it out. They (including Bartels) need to just get to work and get this thing going in the right direction.

As for future seasons, Bubba needs to continue bringing in better talent; the depth and overall talent for UND football is still lacking big-time. 

• Upvote 1

Let's trust the coaches, shall we? They see the players every day in practice. Everyone wanted Bartels to get a shot before Studsrud's injury, and now people want Mollberg. It just never ends. Soon people will be calling for students off the street to play QB. Let's just relax and allow the coaches to do their job. I think the coaches need to get on the players and get them to work harder. Also, the offensive coaches need to look themselves in the mirror and ask what they can change up to allow for better offensive efficiency in the 4th quarter. The wins are right there for them, yet they aren't closing it out. They (including Bartels) need to just get to work and get this thing going in the right direction.

As for future seasons, Bubba needs to continue bringing in better talent; the depth and overall talent for UND football is still lacking big-time. 

For the record, I always wanted Mollberg over Bartels. I've really never been impressed with him. 

Don't trun the ball over in the 4th qtr and we win.  period

Wow....I agree....those two TO's were horrible.  I thought on the fumble they were saying that Bartels was trying to hand off but got hit before he could, but that obviously wasn't the case.  He totally saw that guy coming and had some time and is no way he should have fumbled that....wow. 

IIRC it was 1st and 10 and we were trying to run clock.   I know we need to mix it up but it sure would have been better to run the ball and keep the clock moving.  

On the int it was clear that Bartels didn't know the concept of the play. Our WR made a nice move and would have been open. Instead, bartels threw to where the wr faked to and boom there was a LB waiting for it because he got faked out too.

Just a bad play; he anticipated the wrong route, although maybe the WR ran the wrong route. Anyone think that there might be a connection between the poor QB play and their coach/offensive coordinator (hint: same person)? Studsrud was doing nice things in the running game, but he also was struggling to progress in the passing game.

I understand its easy to put blame on solely the coaches, but they play a part in this. Of course, the talent (or lack thereof) at receiver and injury to the starting QB are also to blame.......

• Downvote 1

Just a bad play. He threw the ball short of the first down AND he anticipated the wrong route. Anyone think that there might be a connection between the poor QB play and their coach/offensive coordinator (hint: same person)? Studsrud was doing nice things in the running game, but he also was struggling to progress in the passing game.

I understand its easy to put blame on solely the coaches, but they play a part in this. Of course, the talent (or lack thereof) at receiver and injury to the starting QB are also to blame.......

What would you attribute Mollbergs considerable progression last season? He was awful to start the year and was fantastic against Montana and PSU. 

What would you attribute Mollbergs considerable progression last season? He was awful to start the year and was fantastic against Montana and PSU. 

I think the word "fantastic" should be reserved to describe truthfully positive, MVP-type performances. Mollberg did some nice things against Montana and PSU, but if he actually had been "fantastic", he would have put up enough points for UND to beat Montana and not be losing against PSU the entire time he was playing (Bartels actually got UND the lead later in the game and won the game against PSU last season). 

I think the word "fantastic" should be reserved to describe truthfully positive performances. Mollberg did some nice things against Montana and PSU, but if he were actually "fantastic", he would have put up enough points for UND to beat Montana and not be losing against PSU the entire time he was playing (Bartels actually brought UND back into the game and won the game against PSU last season). 

Mollberg had one incompletion against PSU. What else, other than not get a fluke concussion, could he have done? And he led our team back against the #5 team in the country. Let's remember that was before the Garmin revilation and with even worse wr play.

I think the word "fantastic" should be reserved to describe truthfully positive, MVP-type performances. Mollberg did some nice things against Montana and PSU, but if he actually had been "fantastic", he would have put up enough points for UND to beat Montana and not be losing against PSU the entire time he was playing (Bartels actually got UND the lead later in the game and won the game against PSU last season). 

I think the defense won that game.  Tillman ran a punt or interception back for a TD if I remember correctly. 

A couple of thoughts. The only turnovers are terrible turnovers.  A bad pass is a bad pass whether it's picked or not.  A fumble is bad whether it's turnover or recovered by us.  Both our QBs have made some terrible passes and fumbled the ball.  Both have made some very good passes and had some nice runs.

Too often we are forgetting poor blocking, poor routes, interceptions on balls that should have been caught or knocked down.  Whomever the QB is we need to protect him and it is past time for our receivers to still have trouble getting open, missing the ball, jumping offsides or running poor routes.  I think our line and receivers are doing a better job than last year. They have enough talent to be part a of a team concept and success.  At this point in the season we should know we aren't good enough to control the ball on the ground and dominate defensively.  Bubba mentioned we need to open things up and I agree.