SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis: Big Sky Opener

SWSiouxMN

I don't think this will be a blow-out in either direction. Massey rates North Dakota as 45 and the Aggies as 67 with a predicted score of UND 27, UC Davis 24. Sagarin ranks UND at 186 and UC Davis at 173. Both teams need a win and UND was one of our must wins for even a half-way decent season but then so was South Dakota and we blew that one.

I see it as a toss-up because the game is at home for us.  If it was on the road, after the week we just had, I would favor UC Davis for sure.  It looks like the Aggies can move the ball, considering 2 FBS opponents, so they will test us through the air and score some points.  So for UND, what are we going to get as far as offensive production...........who the hell knows.

second half versus drake....  figured we had it wrapped up, looking ahead, etc...   

4qtrs in fargo....  overpowered by a better team.  

those reasons/excuses aside, it's time for the OL to show what they've got against UC Davis.   If we can run against them i'll be more encouraged regarding what the potential is for the rest of this year.   If we are shut down, and ground and pound turns into ground and punt again,  we could be in real trouble from here on out.

Here's hoping for 200 yards rushing this weekend using the runningback by committee approach. 

• Upvote 1

second half versus drake....  figured we had it wrapped up, looking ahead, etc...   

4qtrs in fargo....  overpowered by a better team.  

those reasons/excuses aside, it's time for the OL to show what they've got against UC Davis.   If we can run against them i'll be more encouraged regarding what the potential is for the rest of this year.   If we are shut down, and ground and pound turns into ground and punt again,  we could be in real trouble from here on out.

Here's hoping for 200 yards rushing this weekend using the runningback by committee approach. 

agreed, we have to establish the run early. We can't expect Studrud to make all sorts of perfect passes, he just isn't there yet. Run the ball, run effectively, and open up the field for some play action.

• Upvote 2

agreed, we have to establish the run early. We can't expect Studrud to make all sorts of perfect passes, he just isn't there yet. Run the ball, run effectively, and open up the field for some play action.

With the way he has thrown it the last 6 quarters, Davis is going to dare us to beat them passing the football.  He hasn't made a throw or looked like he has recognized the defense pre-snap since halftime vs. Drake.  I expect to see a lot of guys in the box and us struggle to run the ball.

• Upvote 1

Well they better get creative. We have pulled the redshirt on 3 freshman RB. I was surprised to see them pull Smiths redshirt to only give him two carries on Saturday. Grant, we never really had possession, so hopefully we see more of him this weekend. Wish the game was on Fox College Sports.

Weekly 2-deep changes:

Offense
WRX wording changes to Cerriteno or Walker instead of #1/2.

Defense
Labat moves to #1 at SOLB, switching spots with Idowu
Tyus Carter moves to starter at RCB, replacing Chris Brown
Irvin-Sills moves from #2 at RCB to #2 at LCB (replacing T. Carter)
Chris Carter moves up to #2 at RCB
Jawon Johnson becomes the starter at SS, moving up from the #2 spot with Dillon Olson backing him up
Cole Reyes moves over to the #1 at FS, moving from #1 at SS replacing the injured Arnell

Special Teams
Alex Reed replaces Seibel as #1 KR, Santiago remains at the #2

I know Santiago is in as the starter, but I really want to see them get Smith involved. I think they should use him  similar to what you see NDSU to with Morlock and the passing game. He has the speed, and more size to him than Santiago. Now that the red shirt is off, they need to get him the ball. Hope to see a heavy dose of him this weekend.

• Upvote 2

I know Santiago is in as the starter, but I really want to see them get Smith involved. I think they should use him  similar to what you see NDSU to with Morlock and the passing game. He has the speed, and more size to him than Santiago. Now that the red shirt is off, they need to get him the ball. Hope to see a heavy dose of him this weekend.

HOW they get these young playmakers (John Santiago, Iwarri Smith, etc.) the ball is also important. I think the powerback types of Olivera, Norberg, and Arrington need to be playing with the power running game whereas Santiago and Smith need to play in more open space and even some out wide. This would allow the team to run power and then counter with bubble screens/quick passes to the outside to keep the defense honest. 

All in all, regardless of the player, I just want to see Rudolph call more plays that swing the ball out wide in order to take pressure off the struggling interior offensive line. Once defenses are playing more honest, then the power running game will hit some big gainers. 

• Upvote 1

Santiago, Grady, Smith, Olivera.....those are some good freshman.  Too bad we didn't have the luxury of redshirting all of them this year......they would have been seniors in 2019 for the next go round with NDSU.  Would have been nice to have them witness it this time on the sideline, and then bring it home in 2019 as key starters.   But this year first.....let's have a good game against UC.

After the dismal 2nd half against Drake and the debacle in Fargo, this is one of those games where the fan base could really get turned off if the team comes out and lays and egg.  This is the type of game we should win in our arena.  Davis isn't horrible, but they aren't great either.  And they are not a bad matchup for our team.  Statement game for sure.

• Upvote 2

Offensive line play relies on chemistry and familiarity. There won't be any rotations.

If the changes are made, they will be permanent as far as this season goes. I hope Cox starts at center and Grady starts at RG. 

I agree with the chemistry comment and the only reason I say rotating is that Miller is still a sophomore so they may want to try some rotation to keep getting him reps. You're though you don't see O-linemen rotated often.