SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis: Big Sky Opener

SWSiouxMN

HOW they get these young playmakers (John Santiago, Iwarri Smith, etc.) the ball is also important. I think the powerback types of Olivera, Norberg, and Arrington need to be playing with the power running game whereas Santiago and Smith need to play in more open space and even some out wide. This would allow the team to run power and then counter with bubble screens/quick passes to the outside to keep the defense honest. 

All in all, regardless of the player, I just want to see Rudolph call more plays that swing the ball out wide in order to take pressure off the struggling interior offensive line. Once defenses are playing more honest, then the power running game will hit some big gainers. 

Could not agree more with this. When you have speedsters, you need to get them the ball in space. Santiago isn't going to run guys over, but he can make guys miss once he gets going. Not sure about Smith yet, he has more size, but not a dominant, run you over, type of size. I'd like to see him run some of those wheel routes like the Bison did. Smith could be a nice RB/WR hyrbid. Oliveira has the size and power to run up the gut, a little more time and confidence, and he could be a nice powerful back.

Bottom line, they need to get creative to get these guys the ball. Make a statement on the ground and open things up over the top. Studrud isn't a QB that will win us alot of games, but he needs to be in a position where he can't lose games either. We're probably not a team that is going to come back from down 3 TDs with a lot of passing.

• Upvote 1

This is a big game for UND. Move to 3-1, or drop to 2-2, heading on the road to Portland state. Win, build confidence, and momentum or lose and things could start spiraling down quickly. This is a team that hasn't seen a winning record in quite a while, and they have a real opportunity to build that record up nicely over the coming weeks. 

UC Davis, @Portland St, Idaho St, @Weber

I wouldn't call any of the teams the cream of the crop. This isn't MT, MT ST, NDSU, etc. These are the kind of games that UND needs to beat to develop and move forward. Road games are never easy, but these are winnable games. I think the next 4 games will really tell us where this team is. Playoffs or not? A nice opportunity in this schedule to really develop our team, and learn from mistakes before heading into the toughest part of the schedule.

• Upvote 3

This is a big game for UND. Move to 3-1, or drop to 2-2, heading on the road to Portland state. Win, build confidence, and momentum or lose and things could start spiraling down quickly. This is a team that hasn't seen a winning record in quite a while, and they have a real opportunity to build that record up nicely over the coming weeks. 

I wouldn't call any of the teams the cream of the crop. This isn't MT, MT ST, NDSU, etc. These are the kind of games that UND needs to beat to develop and move forward. Road games are never easy, but these are winnable games. I think the next 4 games will really tell us where this team is. Playoffs or not? A nice opportunity in this schedule to really develop our team, and learn from mistakes before heading into the toughest part of the schedule.

Agreed.  To make this season a success UND has to find a way to kick start this offense and get these games starting this weekend.  Glad to see there is some experimenting with offensive personnel.  Play the best players.  Looking forward to seeing how the team responds tomorrow.  

Not sure @ Portland St. is going to be a game I am counting on.  They will be 3-0 with a new coach and a lot of confidence.  Their wins against WSU and Idaho St. were scrappy, with some breaks, but they won them on the road.  A positive for us is Portland St. likes to run the ball, so not a bad match-up for our D.  To your point........we need to get rolling tomorrow!!

I think the core fan base has completely bought into Bubba Ball.  However, my feeling is that the second and 9, third and 7 progression is deadly to both the offense and the crowd.  I know we are a couple of recruiting years away, but only playing Bubba Ball for the defensive front 7 is a game killer.  Our offensive philosophy so far appears far to stubbornness.  It's a little like "we are going to run this one yard dive until you stop us".  We seriously need to open things up a bit.  So far I haven't seen any willingness to do so.  

• Upvote 1

I think the core fan base has completely bought into Bubba Ball.  However, my feeling is that the second and 9, third and 7 progression is deadly to both the offense and the crowd.  I know we are a couple of recruiting years away, but only playing Bubba Ball for the defensive front 7 is a game killer.  Our offensive philosophy so far appears far to stubbornness.  It's a little like "we are going to run this one yard dive until you stop us".  We seriously need to open things up a bit.  So far I haven't seen any willingness to do so.  

The half glass full side of me is hoping that they will show more diversity in play calling now that conference play is beginning. But I'm probably wrong.

A year later and the perception of UND football hasn't changed one bit: confidence in the defense and complete doubtfulness and nervousness regarding the offense. I love the way UND wants to play offense with a power running attack and play-action off of that, but they still have to open it up a bit more in order to get the running game going. Too much of a "banging heads against a brick wall" approach.  

• Upvote 1