SiouxSports.com Forum

Drake is next.

bang

This is a college sports fan forum, so forgive me as I dip into the frivolous for a second. I just watched the walk out for Virginia Tech vs Ohio State. I hope we figure our walkout/hype video out. I personally have found it a little lack luster in the past. Man, that atmosphere looked sweet in Virginia tonight

Do you and Pole Vault Guy have that bus/van ready yet?

For those interested in knowing some of Drake's key players before the Potato Bowl game (going strictly off Drake's week 1 game) :

#15 Sr. QB Andy Rice, 6-3 219 lbs. Last week stats: 24-37, 286 yards passing, 2 TDs, 1 Int

#4 Jr. RB Conley Wilkins, 5-10 194 lbs. Last week stats: 22 carries, 110 yards, 3 TDs

#85 Sr. TE Eric Saubert, 6-4 242 lbs. Last week stats: 7 receptions, 74 yards, 1 TD

#42 Sr. LB John Hugunin, 5-11 232 lbs. Last week stats: 9 tackles

#23 So. DB Sean Lynch, 5-9 167 lbs. Last week stats: 9 tackles

#29 Sr. DB Bryan Pisklo, 6-1 188 lbs. Last week stats, 4 tackles, 1 Int, 1 pass break-up

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15700&ATCLID=210320845

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UND needs to do exactly what Bubba expects them to do:

Play tough, smart, physical football on offense and aggressively get after people on defense.

If UND focuses and plays their game - exactly what they did against Wyoming - they will be fine. Can't turn the ball over on offense and need to be physical up-front. On defense, stop the run, and on 3rd down, GET LOUD in the Alerus and help Sack City come alive

Should be a fun 50th annual Potato Bowl!

Go UND!

Thanks I should have read farther before posting.

Such a trap game!  First win over an FBS team (coached by the former coach of a rival down the road) in strong fashion, and getting a potentially vulnerable NDSU a week later - UND needs to come out strong in this game and remove all doubt that there is any chance of an upset.  I know that Bubba will do his best to make sure no one is looking forward, but to me it is such a huge risk for this week.  I believe that Drake is a bit more of a passing team this year - need to get to the QB early and often and make life miserable.

I was very impressed with what I heard about the O-line play in Wyoming (even their own posters used the word "manhandled"), so I think the offense will get the ground game going and I look to Studsrud to put forth another solid game.  This game should not be close, but after losing to Sioux Falls once (and almost losing to them again a few years later - I know the team culture is quite a bit different now) I always get nervous for these games.

• Upvote 3

Such a trap game!  First win over an FBS team (coached by the former coach of a rival down the road) in strong fashion, and getting a potentially vulnerable NDSU a week later - UND needs to come out strong in this game and remove all doubt that there is any chance of an upset.  I know that Bubba will do his best to make sure no one is looking forward, but to me it is such a huge risk for this week.  I believe that Drake is a bit more of a passing team this year - need to get to the QB early and often and make life miserable.

I was very impressed with what I heard about the O-line play in Wyoming (even their own posters used the word "manhandled"), so I think the offense will get the ground game going and I look to Studsrud to put forth another solid game.  This game should not be close, but after losing to Sioux Falls once (and almost losing to them again a few years later - I know the team culture is quite a bit different now) I always get nervous for these games.

Speaking of O-line play, one of the posters referred to A. J. Stockwell as A. J. Blockwell based on his play in the Wyo. game.  That was good for a chuckle;  I hope his play causes that moniker to stick.

We may not expect UND to be great this season, but they could at least be good. If they want to be good and play into the playoffs, they need to physically come out and wear out Drake. By the 4th quarter, UND needs to exert its will by running the ball for big gains and defensively out-leveraging Drake's offense. 

We may not expect UND to be great this season, but they could at least be good. If they want to be good and play into the playoffs, they need to physically come out and wear out Drake. By the 4th quarter, UND needs to exert its will by running the ball for big gains and defensively out-leveraging Drake's offense. 

I did notice, assuming that Drake plays the same starters, that there D-line starters only get up to 264 pounds (range from 230 to 264).  So, our offensive line should be able to get really good push against them.  

I have to think that Bubba won't let these guys get too high on the win. They need to use this week to clean up mistakes, and prepare for the more challenging team they face. I don't mean look past Drake, I mean use it as an opportunity to continue and improve on efficiency and executions.

Looking forward to actually watching the game this weekend, and I hope it isn't even close. Yes, a win is a win, regardless of the margin; but good teams should have a nail-biter against teams like Drake, so lets be a good team.

I have to think that Bubba won't let these guys get too high on the win. They need to use this week to clean up mistakes, and prepare for the more challenging team they face. I don't mean look past Drake, I mean use it as an opportunity to continue and improve on efficiency and executions.

I've heard, from a player, that he literally told them in the post game celebration that they haven't accomplished anything yet this season and that it was just one game. He gets it.

If we're as good as everyone is feeling around here we should have a nice showing on Saturday and get to see what our depth looks like.

I've heard, from a player, that he literally told them in the post game celebration that they haven't accomplished anything yet this season and that it was just one game. He gets it.

If we're as good as everyone is feeling around here we should have a nice showing on Saturday and get to see what our depth looks like.

Between what we have heard about these players preseason, their showing in the first game, and the way Bubba coaches this team, there are a ton of possibilities for this team this year. Very exciting!

At the luncheon today Bubba said the team was pretty relaxed getting back to GF because they prepared to win, they were confident in themselves, and the players and coaches expected to win.  It wasn't a shock to the players and staff that they won.  Back to the grindstone and Drake is in the way of the NDSU game (my words).  Not overlooking Drake but this team is hungry.

At the luncheon today Bubba said the team was pretty relaxed getting back to GF because they prepared to win, they were confident in themselves, and the players and coaches expected to win.  It wasn't a shock to the players and staff that they won.  Back to the grindstone and Drake is in the way of the NDSU game (my words).  Not overlooking Drake but this team is hungry.

Expecting to win goes a long way. Mussman's teams often played not to lose (or not to lose by too much). 

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” 
-Henry Ford

That speech by Bubba was in one of the post game video highlights too.  He also commented that this weeks victory won't mean anything if they don't take care of business this week (paraphrase).

I said earlier that we can't overlook these guys, and we can't.  However now that we seem to have an actual offense I think we'll handle them.  Last year when our offense really couldn't muster up 20 points on their own the during the first half of the year, you would still have to be a little worried.  There wasn't much room for mistake last year, and if a pick six or something happened against us it was up hill for us.  Last year if we got down 0-7 it felt like a hole, this year if we happen to get down 0-7.....I think it'll just be like....well let's go get that 7 back....and we have the weapons to do it.  It's nice knowing that we don't have to only rely on 8-10 play drives to score, and that we can break some big plays and take it to the house.  Hopefully that will continue all year.....fun seeing that again!! 

Weekly 2 deep changes:

Offense
WRZ - Stanley replaces Georges (injured) at #1 and Reed slides into Bridges spot at the #2
WRB - Bridges replaces Stanley at #2

Defense
Noah Johnson replaces Carrothers as #2 LDE
Carrothers moves up to #1 NG, replacing Woodsmall. Tank Harris moves into #2 NG position