SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

Two take always:

Other than Wentz, which seems to be helping them build for the future, and they had a DB miss a few games early, but other than that it's amazing SU goes thru seasons with very minimal injuries.  We had stretches with 7-8 starters out.  It's nice to be healthy and when a team isn't, gotta have depth.

Pass coverage, it's best to mug and hold every play, and eventually the refs let the plays go.  Maybe our DBs need to take note of the physical play, especially on long plays.  (Give up the 15, not the long completion). SU was called more than normal in this game but that's how they cover.

The CAA specifically has dropped in quality within the last 3 years or so.  They used to be the top dog not too long ago.

I'm not going to argue that right now the MVFC is the best conference overall.  They have proved it and earned it.

The Big Sky is on the rise and probably 2nd right now.  But now they have to go out and start earning it in the postseason.  The top 2 ranked BSC teams (SUU and PSU) went 0-2. Montana went 1-1 against the MVFC in the playoffs.  Time for the BSC to start making runs in the postseason or shutup.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

I guess big sky is better in the regular season, just not the playoffs then.

The big sky had 8 teams with winning records while the Southland had just 4, so as an overall conference they are not better than the Big Sky. SHSU is playing for a berth in Frisco so that part of the conference is better than the BSC. 

I'm surprised by SHSU too, but it just goes to show...get in the playoffs and anything can happen.  No doubt the MVC is the best in the country right now.  And NDSU is really good.  I think the Sioux were playing their best football at the end of the season so who knows how it would have gone for them.  Hoping to be playing in December next year.

• Upvote 1

When comparing conferences, its hard because you can't confuse the strength of the top two or three teams with the overall conference.  There may be a team or two in the Southland better than the top one or two in the Big Sky but overall as a conference it is tough to compare.  I agree with Vince, its time the Big Sky steps up and not only wins non conference and playoff games but pounds its chest a little louder about FBS wins, etc.  

4 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

What is out of conference winning % , just because you have 5 billion teams in a conference doesn't mean 8 with winning records  means didly squat.

There isn't enough out of conference games to accurately cross reference based on OOC games.  I would be all for FCS adding a week to the schedule and again discount D2 wins to encourage teams to play out of conference schedules.  

Unfortunately, I think the SUU-SDSU debacle has clouded many people's judgement. 

In hindsight, SUU was not that bad and SDSU was not that good, on that particular day.  It was a complete anomaly.  Probably similar to WIU's quality loss to ndsu.

Had they played again, SDSU may have still won, but it would have definitely been closer.