SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I like the Heralds poll better which includes none of the above. This poll to me is like answering the question; What would you like to accomplish today? 1.) Drown 2.) Be electrocuted. 3.) Get shot in the face. 4.) Head on collision with semi. 5.) Sky dive without a parachute

What about 6.) None of the above?

By the way........ guess which option in the herald is winning by a landslide?

• Upvote 2

Are u ever going to change ur name ?

good point. reminds me of the scene in the Doors movie when Morrison asks Manzerek if he'll change his name in lieu of Ed Sullivan asking them to alter the words to 'Light My Fire' on tv. :)

I like the Heralds poll better which includes none of the above. This poll to me is like answering the question; What would you like to accomplish today? 1.) Drown 2.) Be electrocuted. 3.) Get shot in the face. 4.) Head on collision with semi. 5.) Sky dive without a parachute

What about 6.) None of the above?

By the way........ guess which option in the herald is winning by a landslide?

yep yep yep yep yep yep

#just_don't_get_the_appeal

the appeal is that it's as fast as lightning.  if you follow the right people you can find information in real time.  if i want to know the score of a game, national breaking news, etc...  i jump on there and find it 2x's as fast as thru the web.  message boards are slowly becoming extinct.   :ohmy:

ok, back to going round-and-round about the nickname. ;)

Two of those four have Hawks in them, and there is no worse nickname in all of sports than Gophers. I would pick Ermines over Gophers. I would pick Roughriders over Gophers. I would pick the snot from my nose over Gophers. And, there is most certainly snot to be picked with the high pollen index these days.

Just because people from long ago, likely under the influence of illicit drugs and/or homemade elixirs, made a bad choice for representing their state doesn't mean we have to do the same in 2015. Aren't we supposed to improve on history, not repeat it? The Gopher State debacle should be a cautionary tale, not a roadmap.

Since my dog has been pulled from the fight for being too big and popular, I'm left with the lesser of 5 evils and North Stars tops that list. Yes, it's Minnesota, and perhaps its the name UofM should have selected for themselves instead of the miserable rodent. But, it's pretty cool nonetheless and will drive my rodent friends crazy with envy. It's the one they secretly want. I say we rescue it from obscurity and give it the majesty it deserves. MN, weakened with debt and DFL incompetence, will be reeling as their much wealthier, healthier and more athletic neighbor beats their butt, again.

taz

Can we change the name of the institution to Northwest Minnesota State? North Stars would be an exclamation point on a painfully embarrassing process.
  • Upvote 1

the appeal is that it's as fast as lightning. if you follow the right people you can find information in real time. if i want to know the score of a game, national breaking news, etc... i jump on there and find it 2x's as fast as thru the web. message boards are slowly becoming extinct. :ohmy:

Whoa whoa whoa...you mean I don't have to wait a day or two to read the scores in the paper?

Mind = blown.

• Upvote 2

Can we change the name of the institution to Northwest Minnesota State? North Stars would be an exclamation point on a painfully embarrassing process.

University of Minnesota - Grand Forks North Stars. UMGF North Stars. Kinda catchy.

• Upvote 1

Please look at the criteria again set forth by the committee in how to approach selecting a new nickname.....then look at the 5 options that are left based on the committee's process.....then stop asking yourself "What the ______ has just happened?" because there is no turning back.

• Upvote 3

As I told a friend a couple weeks ago, we have 7 wheelbarrows in front of us. Each is made of pure gold. Six of the seven have varying levels of horse manure in them, and the seventh is empty. Given your choice of wheelbarrows, which one would you choose?

Now, sadly, the Maleficent Seven have been reduced to the Fancrapstic Five, and all five wheelbarrows contain manure, and the flies are on their way.

Link to the petition mentioned earlier, currently over 1500 signatures, let them know how you feel.

https://www.change.org/p/reinstate-the-university-of-north-dakota-north-dakota-nickname

Wow, currently around 2700 signatures, impressive. Considering the UND athletics Facebook page has over 60,000 likes, a little less than 5% have taken the time to sign the petition...sounds like a vocal minority to me.
  • Upvote 1

From what I'm hearing and from what I can read from the committee's last meeting, it sounds as though it is only a matter of time before RR is eliminated.

If that's the case (and I would be shocked if it is because it is obviously the most popular of the remaining names), what are your favorites from the final 4?

Wow, currently around 2700 signatures, impressive. Considering the UND athletics Facebook page has over 60,000 likes, a little less than 5% have taken the time to sign the petition...sounds like a vocal minority to me.

You should look at when it was started....its been hours, geez!

Ha...  this petition has been around for less than 24 hours.   Great comparison though.  

...and here we go again...blame the hockey fans.

Schlossman wrote two articles yesterday alluding to the exact the same thing.  I see similarities across my social media feeds from people I know.  Its not all hockey fans, but I don't feel in the wrong saying that the majority of the people having the hardest time with "no nickname" being eliminated (and changing nicknames at all) are hockey only fans.

To be honest, it makes sense.  Those that only have ties with one part of the University aren't going to care much about the rest of it.  The hockey team has been incredibly successful, it makes sense they have a large, otherwise unattached following.  Look 70 miles south to see almost a mirror image with a football team.  Tons of fans who follow football and the majority could not care less about the rest of their athletic department, including a basketball team that has been very successful in its own right.

My take on the Final 5:

Roughriders:  My favorite left.  IMO makes the most sense based on criteria laid out by the committee

Sundogs:  The PC crowd's let's light up the White House in rainbow colors option

NoDaks:  Possibly the "no nickname" crowd's choice now that a nickname will be chosen

Fighting Hawks: The ram it down your throat this is how we do it consultant's choice

North Stars:  If we as UND can't pick our own state's nickname let's steal our neighbors

If you look at these maybe the committee did do their job by trying to appease as many people as they could that might have some say in the final vote.

• Upvote 1

It sounds like the committee was told or rather forcibly advised to choose a name...and keeping it North Dakota could not, would not, ever be on the ballot. So in other words, the most popular choice...is not on the ballot, because it to is not PC enough for our administration.?

• Upvote 1

It sounds like the committee was told or rather forcibly advised to choose a name...and keeping it North Dakota could not, would not, ever be on the ballot. So in other words, the most popular choice...is not on the ballot, because it to is not PC enough for our administration.?

Unless you have new information, you're repeating something that has already been debunked multiple times.  Schlossman, among others, have confirmed that this is false.

Did the UND Facebook page get 60,000 likes in a day? Think a little...
  • Upvote 2

Maybe someone on here can explain this derision toward "hockey only" fans.  First of all, give me an example of the typical "hockey only" fan. 

Because the reality at UND is that the Men's Hockey team is the straw that turns the entire drink when it comes to donations to the Champions Club and then the purchase of tickets to all athletic events.  As you well know, first you plunk down your Champions Club member cash and then you can buy tickets.  How many people lay down the Directors, Emerald, or Diamond club level cash in order to secure the right to purchase just football, or men's or women's basketball tickets?  Not very many.  But those levels are sold out at the Ralph. (As is every other season ticket in the arena - hop on the waiting list!)

Then what do those Champions Club "hockey only" people do?  They buy their tickets to football and basketball as well.  It is all the same people.  So get off it.    

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If your boss told you, "I need a list of vendors for a project. Write each acceptable vendor you find on a separate piece of paper and give me all the pieces of paper when you're done," what would happen if you handed the boss five pages with vendor names on them and one blank page? 

The committee followed its charter: recommend nicknames. 

• Upvote 4

If your boss told you, "I need a list of vendors for a project. Write each acceptable vendor you find on a separate piece of paper and give me all the pieces of paper when you're done," what would happen if you handed the boss five pages with vendor names on them and one blank page? 

The committee followed its charter: recommend nicknames. 

This is like a skipping record...   the fact was and always will be be is that the public was led to believe that having no nickname was going to be an option.  This was until we found out that the whole committee thing was a farce.  Just like Standing Rock,  silence the popular vote to get what you want.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1