SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

3 hours ago, oldSioux said:

Alright I almost did not respond but I had to, you're really going to discredit me for bringing in quantitative values into production/ tangibles of WR's and your main argument on a few threads here were based around how our WRs are too white and slow that's all you said, no numbers to support it no nothing. Now NDSU has had these amazing deep threat WRs that has been a major contributor to their success, we also found to be false, now you wanna say 40 times cant be trusted and that's some well known fact. You can't make this stuff up... give it a break man. Have you watched an NDSU game lately? Do you want to know why some games stay close until the 4th? Physicality and dominating lines. They stick to a script. If you'd like an air it out team and pass first team go cheer for WAZZU.

1. We're on the same team here and 2. are you really that upset we don't need help at the WR position next year? Would you rather that be another off season fire to put out? Are you ashamed you have parody with both tall and short White WRs faster than an NFL player?

Vraa wasn’t a deep threat? Hilarious. I’ve seen plenty of NDSU games. Their offense runs best when they, gasp, have a deep threat at wr. This year they have Watson providing that service.

1. We’re not on the same page

2. You have no idea what Maag and Boltmann run in the 40. 

17 hours ago, oldSioux said:

I am not aware of that at all. If that was the case then why are combines so highly attended and athletes are looked at from a quantitative perspective? This is a dead end at this point, but Sheppard ran a 4.66 (officially) with NFL caliber training and as a senior fresh off a national championship. From some articles I read into, while sheppard was decent in the hands game he was ripped a bit for his tangibles and numbers he posted. Maag ran a 4.6 as a senior in high school. Would love to see his numbers now. Sheppard had Wentz throwing to him while we had Kett. From a tangibles side, Maag gets the edge. From benefiting from a system and QB ability, sure Sheppard looks appealing. Give Maag a few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if Scouts are calling Bubba. 

Case and point, establish a meaningful run game and give the QB time to toss it up (with a better OL) and let Maag, and boltmann go get it. WR are not the issue we face this off-season. 

UND does not have the talent or coaching to ignore certain positions in recruiting. UND is a 7-5 football team. They need to recruit and improve at ALL positions. Sure, we can argue which position is most important, for which I agree offensive line, but UND has work to do everywhere. 

As for comparing to NDSU, they have had very good players over the years but their system is most impressive. They develop 9-man ND high school players - particularly offensive linemen - into NFL prospects. That is where all the championships have been won. But NDSU’s skill position players have been good too. I don’t think we can ignorantly assume UND’s skill position players are equal with NDSU’s. Again, though, under Bubba, UND has been most deficient at developing offensive linemen. You can’t just recruit these players; need to develop. 

Maag and Boltmann are both good players. UND needs far more than 2 good skill position players, though, if they want to be a national contender. Hopefully Cochran steps up or one of the true freshmen surprises. Not currently sold on the running backs either (just not to my level of expectations for DI FCS football). 

23 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Zach Vraa was for their early great teams before injuries slowed him. 

Vraa came into college with a 4.7 40yd dash. He managed to shave a few tenths off once he got into college.

Not really apples to apples comparing Maag's high school time against Vraa's time after he spent 6 (!!!!!) years in college under a pretty stellar S&C program.
Still not sure how he got that 6th year. Redshirted his freshman year, broke both collarbones his second year, then played 13, 15 and 14 games his next 3 years before being granted a 6th year. Unless there was an unreported injury his redshirt year, he got pretty lucky.

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Vraa came into college with a 4.7 40yd dash. He managed to shave a few tenths off once he got into college.

Not really apples to apples comparing Maag's high school time against Vraa's time after he spent 6 (!!!!!) years in college under a pretty stellar S&C program.
Still not sure how he got that 6th year. Redshirted his freshman year, broke both collarbones his second year, then played 13, 15 and 14 games his next 3 years before being granted a 6th year. Unless there was an unreported injury his redshirt year, he got pretty lucky.

Pretty sure he redshirted because he broke his other collar bone as a fr. Late in his career he had lost a couple of steps. His first two years he had good speed though and would test the defense deep a few times a game.

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Pretty sure he redshirted because he broke his other collar bone as a fr. Late in his career he had lost a couple of steps. His first two years he had good speed though and would test the defense deep a few times a game.

Broke his collarbone in his first game his RS-Freshman year. It healed up and he was set to come back later in the season and broke his other one in practice the week he was supposed to come back. They both happened in the same season.

14 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Broke his collarbone in his first game his RS-Freshman year. It healed up and he was set to come back later in the season and broke his other one in practice the week he was supposed to come back. They both happened in the same season.

Nope. He broke his collarbone in two different seasons. In practice his true freshman season. 1st game his second season. That’s about the only way you can get a sixth year in D1. 

• Upvote 1

In Geaux's defense.  The point everyone is missing is that you're all assuming Maag's HS 40 time is accurate.  Most all HS height/weight/40 times are tilted in the athlete's favor.  I'd be willing to bet his HS 40 time was more in the 4.8 range.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NDSU grad said:

Nope. He broke his collarbone in two different seasons. In practice his true freshman season. 1st game his second season. That’s about the only way you can get a sixth year in D1. 

Yeah, unless he broke it three times....that isn't correct at all. The second break came his 2nd season as he was trying to come back after getting hurt in the first game. That's my point on his hardship being confusing, 2011 is the only season he is listed as losing due to injury.

https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/zach-vraa/6271

2011 SEASON (FRESHMAN-HARDSHIP): Started in first game, catching two passes for 13 yards vs. Lafayette (9-3-11) but left with a broken collarbone...Tried to come back later in season but injured the other collarbone during practice...Named to the MVFC Commissioner’s Academic Excellence Award list and MVFC Honor Roll.

2010 SEASON (REDSHIRT): Sat out the season as a redshirt in the Bison program...Named to the MVFC Honor Roll.

15 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The fact you consider it unadulterated bull&$^%(%% is concerning.  let alone the fact you needed to "check" it.  :silly:

When people are factually wrong it’s bull$%!# of the unadulterated variety. When people are loudly ignorant it’s bull$%!#, also unadulterated.

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, unless he broke it three times....that isn't correct at all. The second break came his 2nd season as he was trying to come back after getting hurt in the first game. That's my point on his hardship being confusing, 2011 is the only season he is listed as losing due to injury.

He did break two different collarbones a total of three times. It's one of the reasons they switched to surgically repairing them with a metal sheath towards the end instead of letting them heal naturally like they did at first.

He broke his right collarbone during fall practice his true freshman season. He broke his left collarbone the first game of his RFr season. Later in that same season, he re-broke his right collarbone during practice.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/ndsu-football-thats-progression-bison-receiver-wants-follow

He broke it in fall camp in his first year at NDSU when it appeared he was poised to break into the lineup as a true freshman. He broke the collarbone on his other side in the 2011 season opener against Lafayette College (Pa.). Just as it appeared he was ready to get back into the lineup, he broke it again in practice in November and watched the FCS playoffs from the sideline.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah that was my bad. Like Hammer said he did break two collarbones a total of three times. 

33 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

He did break two different collarbones a total of three times. It's one of the reasons they switched to surgically repairing them with a metal sheath towards the end instead of letting them heal naturally like they did at first.

He broke his right collarbone during fall practice his true freshman season. He broke his left collarbone the first game of his RFr season. Later in that same season, he re-broke his right collarbone during practice.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/ndsu-football-thats-progression-bison-receiver-wants-follow

Glad we got that cleared up. Can all of this be move to the dump thread?

9 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

What in the world does this have to do with the 2020 Hawk Football Season? Frankly, I don't care how many time Zach Vraa broke his collarbone. Maybe this is why UND is struggling to be more than average. The fanbase is dwelling on some dudes collarbone.

It's less about Vraa and more about how the NCAA administers hardship waivers. There always seems to be confusion from fans whether an injured player can get a 6th year or not. The fan confusion normally seems to happen with a UND player at least every other year, which is typical. jdub was thinking Vraa was a case where the NCAA went against their own rules, the rest of us were trying to show that they didn't.

That's not to say the NCAA has never gone against their own rules(in this matter), but it happens far more rarely than people think. We tend to focus on and remember the handful of outliers, and never hear about or forget the dozens upon dozens of regular cases.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Honestly, this is the first class I have seen that remotely stacks up to NDSU by just watching the High School film. I'm optimistic!

NDSU has had some really good classes in the past 10 years or so, but this year's is definitely down comparitively speaking 

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

NDSU has had some really good classes in the past 10 years or so, but this year's is definitely down comparitively speaking 

I don't follow recruiting as close as I used to, but just out of curiosity, what makes you say that?