SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

The problem is that it makes little sense to play a game between two schools that are in the same state, and only 70 miles apart, 250 miles away in a different state. At least, MSP is about mid way between NDSU and UNI.

Playing an "event" game in the heart of both schools major alumni base makes plenty of sense.  I also want to be clear that I didn't say it was likely to happen, just saying I that from what I know, I think that it is much more likely to happen than an NDSU/UNI game in MSP.

Playing an "event" game in the heart of both schools major alumni base makes plenty of sense.  I also want to be clear that I didn't say it was likely to happen, just saying I that from what I know, I think that it is much more likely to happen than an NDSU/UNI game in MSP.

Split the gate and I'm onboard.

I do live in the Twin Cities. I expect that most people in MSP, would scratch their heads over it, and, if anything, be mildly irritated by the idea.

Who said that it was beneath NDSU?

It all comes down to money. NDSU chooses to invest in Football and Basketball, and who can blame then. Those are the big money makers (at the vast majority of schools) and they have had success in them. BUT I really would love to see a big investor come to the school looking to start up a program. UND-NDSU hockey rivalry would be a blast. You can never have to many rivalries, and this would be a fun one.

Split the gate and I'm onboard.

UND struggles to get 8k at the Alerus Center. I find it extremely hard to believe that UND fans, who don't care to go to home games, would put effort forth to go to the Vikings Stadium. We don't have to discuss that possibility. UND has already agreed to play at NDSU for pennies. Splitting the gate at the Vikings Stadium, in which NDSU fans would grossly outnumber UND fans, makes zero financial sense for NDSU.

Arizona State starts a hockey program, but that is beneath NDSU.  Got it.

Each athletic department chooses which sports to participate in, NDSU has chosen, for a variety of reasons, to not sponsor hockey at this point.

Choosing to not sponsor a sport does not make it beneath an athletic department, just as NCAA wrestling isn't below the UND athletic department. They just choose not to participate.

• Upvote 1

UND struggles to get 8k at the Alerus Center. I find it extremely hard to believe that UND fans, who don't care to go to home games, would put effort forth to go to the Vikings Stadium. We don't have to discuss that possibility. UND has already agreed to play at NDSU for pennies. Splitting the gate at the Vikings Stadium, in which NDSU fans would grossly outnumber UND fans, makes zero financial sense for NDSU.

There would be plenty of UND fans at a UND/NDSU game in the cities.  NDSU has already proven that a ticket for a UND game is a premium seat compared to anyone else in their conference by far.  Why agree to pad their pocket book?  The current contract is for the games in Fargo.  If that location is changed, the dollar figure changes with it.

Question- do you think NDSU would play UNI in Minneapolis if it is a UNI home game and they get the gate?

Each athletic department chooses which sports to participate in, NDSU has chosen, for a variety of reasons, to not sponsor hockey at this point.

Choosing to not sponsor a sport does not make it beneath an athletic department, just as NCAA wrestling isn't below the UND athletic department. They just choose not to participate.

Good point. 

UND is finally putting $$ into their football and other programs.  I'm curious to see if this will help them catch up to your school in football and men's basketball.

Or apparently a proportionate amount of women's sports but that's a completely different topic...

Or apparently a proportionate amount of women's sports but that's a completely different topic...

One has to wonder why it was brought up in a discussion on this topic then.

Trolling goes both ways it appears.

There would be plenty of UND fans at a UND/NDSU game in the cities.  NDSU has already proven that a ticket for a UND game is a premium seat compared to anyone else in their conference by far.  Why agree to pad their pocket book?  The current contract is for the games in Fargo.  If that location is changed, the dollar figure changes with it.

Question- do you think NDSU would play UNI in Minneapolis if it is a UNI home game and they get the gate?

Of course there would be plenty of fans at an NDSU/UND game in the Twin Cities. The point is that it would seem odd and presumptuous to have two North Dakota schools playing their rivalry game in Minnesota. It doesn't make North Dakota look good, and, IMO, it would not be well received by most sports fans in the Twin Cities (non-NDSU or UND fans).  

BTW - of course NDSU would not play UNI in Minneapolis under those circumstances.

Of course there would be plenty of fans at an NDSU/UND game in the Twin Cities. The point is that it would seem odd and presumptuous to have two North Dakota schools playing their rivalry game in Minnesota. It doesn't make North Dakota look good, and, IMO, it would not be well received by most sports fans in the Twin Cities (non-NDSU or UND fans).

BTW - of course NDSU would not play UNI in Minneapolis under those circumstances.

Works fine for hockey when UND takes over St. Paul

One has to wonder why it was brought up in a discussion on this topic then.

Trolling goes both ways it appears.

You said "Each athletic department chooses which sports to participate in,..." 

Given that just about every other DI and DII in the region sponsors women's tennis and women's swimming and diving (both NDHSAA sports), that must be a choice by NDSU. It's NDSU's choice, embrace it. Don't be mad when someone points out the choice made by NDSU.

NDSU has made choices such that they have 282 male DI athletes on campus and 129 female athletes on campus. NDSU has chosen to give opportunity to twice as many men as women. Again, it's NDSU's choice, embrace it. Don't be mad when someone points out the choice made by NDSU. 

Given that just about every other DI and DII in the region sponsors women's tennis and women's swimming and diving (both NDHSAA sports), that must be a choice by NDSU. It's NDSU's choice, embrace it. Don't be mad when someone points out the choice made by NDSU.

NDSU has made choices such that they have 282 male DI athletes on campus and 129 female athletes on campus. NDSU has chosen to give opportunity to twice as many men as women. Again, it's NDSU's choice, embrace it. Don't be mad when someone points out the choice made by NDSU. 

So what are you saying with regard to NDSU potentially sponsoring hockey? Which, of course, is the context in which that comment was made.

That's a reach to connect those two points and you know it.

He was trolling.

Yep, alot of alumni in the region that would go to that. I would love to see a football game, just don't have the time to make it up to GF.

One of the arguments often made in favor of resuming the NDSU/UND football rivalry game is that it benefits the State of ND economically. How would it do so if it were to be played in Minnesota?

One of the arguments often made in favor of resuming the NDSU/UND football rivalry game is that it benefits the State of ND economically. How would it do so if it were to be played in Minnesota?

Wasn't me making that argument. I'm just saying I would love to see it. If they played a game down here, I would definitely go. That being said, I will try to go to the game this fall in Fargo if I can. I will at least be up there to tailgate and enjoy the festivities. Should be fun, can't wait.

Of course there would be plenty of fans at an NDSU/UND game in the Twin Cities. The point is that it would seem odd and presumptuous to have two North Dakota schools playing their rivalry game in Minnesota. It doesn't make North Dakota look good, and, IMO, it would not be well received by most sports fans in the Twin Cities (non-NDSU or UND fans).  

Perhaps if UND becomes the North Stars, then it will confuse some non-UND/NDSU fans and there will be a ridiculous turnout of hockey fans looking for some old-time Minnesota North Stars games.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps if UND becomes the North Stars, then it will confuse some non-UND/NDSU fans and there will be a ridiculous turnout of hockey fans looking for some old-time Minnesota North Stars games.

I doubt many Bison fans would be confused, UND and Gopher fans just might be.

So what are you saying with regard to NDSU potentially sponsoring hockey? Which, of course, is the context in which that comment was made.

The NDHSAA sponsors boys and girls hockey. NDSU has made the choice to sponsor neither. Embrace the choice. ;) 

That's a reach to connect those two points and you know it.

He was trolling.

You made the "choices" statement regarding what NDSU Athletics sponsors or doesn't, or how (participation numbers). Don't be mad when the choices made by NDSU are pointed out.