SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

It is a buffalo nickel but the PC'ers would have a sh*t fit about it and blame UND for continuing to use it.

no chance it can be played for. UND can't use NA imagery on the field. Let's say UND wins it at some point. What side of it do they show when they run around the field after the game?

Indian head side? - can't

Buffalo side? - no chance in hell and it wouldn't make sense

Maybe the edge of the coin

If you do want this game to continue on a regular basis, calling NDSU people morons, fools, and idiots isn't helpful.

Good point.

After all, they aren't the average run of the mill morons, fools and idiots.

They're special.

They're OUR morons, fools and idiots!

The Nickel Trophy was presented to the winner of the formerly annual football game between the rival University of North Dakota (UND) Fighting Sioux (who changed their nickname and logo in 2012) and the North Dakota State University (NDSU) Bison. The two universities are approximately 76 miles apart on the eastern border of North Dakota. The two schools last played each other in 2003 and are next scheduled to play each other in 2015.

Until home and homes on an annual basis are scheduled it stays retired with the team that won it most often and last.....that's my rule.

no chance it can be played for. UND can't use NA imagery on the field. Let's say UND wins it at some point. What side of it do they show when they run around the field after the game?

Indian head side? - can't

Buffalo side? - no chance in hell and it wouldn't make sense

Maybe the edge of the coin

I have a hard time believing that the NCAA wouldn't allow the Nickel Trophy to be played for. The NCAA allowed certain concessions with the Ralph, allowing the arena to keep some Sioux logos due to historical references. The Nickel trophy has historical ties to US Currency.

The Nickel Trophy was presented to the winner of the formerly annual football game between the rival University of North Dakota (UND) Fighting Sioux (who changed their nickname and logo in 2012) and the North Dakota State University (NDSU) Bison. The two universities are approximately 76 miles apart on the eastern border of North Dakota. The two schools last played each other in 2003 and are next scheduled to play each other in 2015.

Until home and homes on an annual basis are scheduled it stays retired with the team that won it most often and last.....that's my rule.

Even if some chance UND gets into the same conference as NDSU they still won't use it, PC won't allow it.

I don't care if they play for it, but it gives off a weird vibe if the trophy isn't played for.

Should just put it in a museum if it won't be up for grabs.

I don't necessarily disagree, but that guy literally made up nonsense and sounded like a child lol.

really? That's a thing?

That's pretty much the definition of a traveling trophy. One side can't unilaterally decide to just keep the trophy. It's not theirs to keep.

Do any of you have any evidence that NDSU, Blue Key, or any other party ever actually agreed that the trophy would only be contested in "annual" games, or that there was ever any agreement of the parties that UND's settlement with the NCAA affected NDSU's rights to the trophy in any way? If not, the terms are that the current holder brings the trophy to the next game and the winner of that game gets possession of it until they lose it on the field. If UND can't do that, it needs to work something out with NDSU. To my knowledge, it has not.

That's pretty much the definition of a traveling trophy. One side can't unilaterally decide to just keep the trophy. It's not theirs to keep.

Do any of you have any evidence that NDSU, Blue Key, or any other party ever actually agreed that the trophy would only be contested in "annual" games, or that there was ever any agreement of the parties that UND's settlement with the NCAA affected NDSU's rights to the trophy in any way? If not, the terms are that the current holder brings the trophy to the next game and the winner of that game gets possession of it until they lose it on the field. If UND can't do that, it needs to work something out with NDSU. To my knowledge, it has not.

UND no longer has a Blue Key organization anymore I am told. Its my understanding that Blue Key and UND have had some talks about the future of the trophy considering it will never be played for again. But didnt I read an article where Faison said the Nickle was out of the picture and retired?

Do you have any evidence that any or all of those parties haven't agreed that the trophy would no longer be contested? Do you know of a lot of rivalries where they only play every 5-10 years, yet still play for a traveling trophy? Do you really know what the terms of the trophy are, that the current holder brings the trophy to the next game, or did you just make that up? Do you have any clue at all what has been said between the 2 athletic departments about the trophy? Or are you just here blowing smoke, trying to cause trouble, and filling a Friday night? Have you heard what they say about possession being 9/10's of the law?

Lawsuit

Yup. The lawyers that graduated from the respective school's law school face off.

Or, a winner take all hockey game between UND's varsity hockey team and theirs.

Or a home run derby between the top slugger from last years respective squads.

See.. options!

I think the Nickel Trophy should still be played for, it is a replica of currency and a damn cool trophy. The NCAA has nothing to say about it. If it's been decided by both schools to never be a part of the rivalry then it needs to be put in the ND Heritage Museum for all to enjoy.

Do you have any evidence that any or all of those parties haven't agreed that the trophy would no longer be contested? Do you know of a lot of rivalries where they only play every 5-10 years, yet still play for a traveling trophy? Do you really know what the terms of the trophy are, that the current holder brings the trophy to the next game, or did you just make that up? Do you have any clue at all what has been said between the 2 athletic departments about the trophy? Or are you just here blowing smoke, trying to cause trouble, and filling a Friday night? Have you heard what they say about possession being 9/10's of the law?

FYI---if a lawyer ever tells you that---hire a different lawyer.

I'll tell my brother, the lawyer, about the legal advice I got on the interwebs from an NDSU supporter. I'm sure he'll be impressed.

Please do but do you really want to embarrass yourself?  The reason I say this is because I once said that to a lawyer friend of mine in conversation. His response was "WHY do people keep believing that premiss because nothing could be further from the truth.