SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

Tom Dennis of the GF Herald chimes in...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/3798248-our-opinion-roughriders-dirty-word-or-strong-choice-und

I would be a bit surprised if the GFH doesn't support Sundogs...

His last line in the article should pretty much but to rest any debate of which nickname shoud be selected from the final 7:

"a nickname that exudes strength, confidence, bravery and hope"

Now, does Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Sundogs, North Stars, Nodaks, or no nickname at all represent any of the traits listed above?  So if the Herald is picking on those traits, their pick will be Roughriders.  If the general public was smart, they would vote on those traits and the others that have been mentioned before by the committee.  Sorry no nickname fans, "North Dakota" does not do that.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

His last line in the article should pretty much but to rest any debate of which nickname shoud be selected from the final 7:

"a nickname that exudes strength, confidence, bravery and hope"

Now, does Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Sundogs, North Stars, Nodaks, or no nickname at all represent any of the traits listed above?  So if the Herald is picking on those traits, their pick will be Roughriders.  If the general public was smart, they would vote on those traits and the others that have been mentioned before by the committee.  Sorry no nickname fans, "North Dakota" does not do that.

Fighting Hawk would be a second to Roughriders, but Nodaks represent someone in ND, we exude strength, confidence, bravery and hope. 

1. Roughriders

2. Fighting Hawks

3. Nodaks

get the voting booths ready!!!

Tom Dennis of the GF Herald chimes in...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/3798248-our-opinion-roughriders-dirty-word-or-strong-choice-und

I would be a bit surprised if the GFH doesn't support Sundogs...

I strongly suspect that the letters to the editor criticizing Roughriders are Sun Dog supporters trying to deep-six Roughriders so that their choice wins by default.  They can't win on the merits, so they are going straight for the gutter.

• Upvote 1

I strongly suspect that the letters to the editor criticizing Roughriders are Sun Dog supporters trying to deep-six Roughriders so that their choice wins by default.  They can't win on the merits, so they are going straight for the gutter.

Does that crowd actually exist? My personal opinion is that I think it is more likely to be the "no nickname"/Fighting Sioux Forever crowd as Roughriders appears to be the clear favorite among actual nicknames remaining.  Torpedo that and try to split the votes.

I asked someone I personally know who is in the news business in North Dakota what they thought of the sundogs nickname after I wrote my letter to the editor. Here is the response:

"I think it's way too polarizing to be picked. I'd be surprised if it made the final cut of 2-4 names I expect to go to some sort of public vote. I think Roughriders is a front-runner, followed by North Stars (I'm not a fan; it's Minnesotan) and a late charge from Green Hawks.

Personally, I think it comes down to Roughriders and whether or not the committee allows "just North Dakota" to go to a public vote. If "just North Dakota" goes to the public vote, that option is probably the favorite but it'll be close."

Personally I am for anything but sundogs. Choosing sundogs would essentially be pandering to the bu!!!@#$ PC movement. I remember who was a proponent of sundogs back in 2007 and I will not forget.

• Upvote 2

Wow. Take a lap.

I asked someone I personally know who is in the news business in North Dakota what they thought of the sundogs nickname after I wrote my letter to the editor. Here is the response:

"I think it's way too polarizing to be picked. I'd be surprised if it made the final cut of 2-4 names I expect to go to some sort of public vote. I think Roughriders is a front-runner, followed by North Stars (I'm not a fan; it's Minnesotan) and a late charge from Green Hawks.

Personally, I think it comes down to Roughriders and whether or not the committee allows "just North Dakota" to go to a public vote. If "just North Dakota" goes to the public vote, that option is probably the favorite but it'll be close."

Personally I am for anything but sundogs. Choosing sundogs would essentially be pandering to the bu!!!@#$ PC movement. I remember who was a proponent of sundogs back in 2007 and I will not forget.

Mind elaborating?

You can hop on google and do some research. This person was (maybe still is) UND Faculty who was very vocal against the Fighting Sioux nickname and thought sundogs would be a splendid replacement.

He who must not be named?!

He who must not be named?!

Is google that hard? Since you seem dense here are two names: Lucy Ganje and Leigh Jeanotte

The latter is on record being a proponent of sundogs as early as 2007. Both have been outspoken faculty regarding the nickname. 

Now the question is will they have everything figured out at this coming meeting i.e: (final names, voting process, when to start it, etc.)

I don't put that much faith in the committee getting that all figured out at the next meeting.  NArrowing the list down to 2 or 3 names to be voted on is going to take up much of the time.

I predict a vote will not happen until Early September when the students are back in town.  They will obviously be ones that get to vote, as they should be.

Fighting Hawk would be a second to Roughriders, but Nodaks represent someone in ND, we exude strength, confidence, bravery and hope. 

1. Roughriders

2. Fighting Hawks

3. Nodaks

get the voting booths ready!!!

I like UND, Rough Riders and a version of Hawks.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

University of North Dakota Nickname Committee Agenda

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

6 p.m.

Twamley Hall, Room 404

or call Jill Novotny or Katrina Kriewall for call-in information (701.777.2038)

1.       Review meeting minutes

2.       Review trademark information about suggested names remaining on list

3.       Discussion of additional information about suggested nicknames remaining on list

4.       Further discussion of suggested nicknames

5.       Other business as arises

--30--

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

6 p.m.

Twamley Hall, Room 404

3.       Discussion of additional information about suggested nicknames remaining on list

--30--

That doesn't look like an action oriented agenda.  Hope I'm wrong.   :sad:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

6 p.m.

Twamley Hall, Room 404

--30--

Just curious, are these meetings open to the public?

That doesn't look like an action oriented agenda.  Hope I'm wrong.   :sad:

From experience covering these types of things, I can only say that a lot of things can happen in #5, when you leave it super vague like that. We shall see. 

• Upvote 1

Some on here say no way to just North Dakota. I'm ok with that view. Although it is my third choice. Some of those same people think Nodaks would be a great nickname. North Dakota doesn't work.....but abbreviate it (Nodaks) and suddenly it's really something. North Dakota Nodaks.....doesn't even make sense. What's the logo going to be for Nodaks? Whatever it is could be used with just North Dakota. No nickname just a logo.

Like I said North Dakota is my third choice.....hopefully it doesn't come to that. Nodaks, however, just doesn't work for me.