SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Assistant Job Posted

The Sicatoka

Not that I've seen many of these assistant coach job descriptions but i've seen a few job descriptions in my day. This seems to me to have someone's name written on it, if we could just decipher the code

i agree. it's written for the guy they want.  question is who. 

Also hope they announce KG as now a paid 3rd Assist. As opposed to volunteer.

Did the NCAA approve having a 3rd assistant coach?  The current limit is 2 (plus head coach).  Even if they did, I don't think KG would move to a full-time coach.

Its not like KG isnt getting paid. By the size of the new house he build a few years ago it appears he gets paid just fine.

I ride by his house on my bike all of the time. Nice place.

• Upvote 1

Yes I believe it was

USCHO had this:

The size of coaching staffs also was a point of discussion. The NCAA allows schools to have three full-time paid coaches on staff. Riley said there was talk to expand that.

One idea was to make the director of hockey operations, which most teams have on their staff, an additional coach.

“It would give an opportunity for young coaches to get involved in the profession,” Riley said.

They also stated that this year wasn't a rule change year so I doubt it could have been changed since the coaching limit is actually written into the NCAA manual. 

Very impressive job qualifications. I was trying to think of another program in any college sport that would have listed 12 years experience in a professional league for an assistant coach and couldn't think of one. Would Alabama football require 12 years NFL for one or Duke BB require 12 years NBA for one? Completely different deals and UND is obviously just tailoring this to the guy they want hired, but still impressive qualifications. 

I think the only people even qualified for this that might be interested are Wilson, Patrick and Shaw. Wilson isn't leaving MN i'm guessing, so it would come down to the other two. Can't go wrong with either one imo. That kind of experience on the bench will surely make an impact in recruiting.

Very impressive job qualifications. I was trying to think of another program in any college sport that would have listed 12 years experience in a professional league for an assistant coach and couldn't think of one. Would Alabama football require 12 years NFL for one or Duke BB require 12 years NBA for one? Completely different deals and UND is obviously just tailoring this to the guy they want hired, but still impressive qualifications. 

I think the only people even qualified for this that might be interested are Wilson, Patrick and Shaw. Wilson isn't leaving MN i'm guessing, so it would come down to the other two. Can't go wrong with either one imo. That kind of experience on the bench will surely make an impact in recruiting.

It isn't 12 years at the professional ranks, it is 12 years coaching experience at NCAA, Junior or Professional.  Still requirements are pretty lofty.