SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You think Guentzel will get a shot at the top job when Lucia finally retires or is pushed out?

I think Guentzel thought this job should have been his by now and that's the real issue.  His facial expressions at the end of yesterday's game were priceless.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, LetsGoSioux! said:

No surprise that Mankato beat the gophers today.  It was so fun watching UMN-Twin cities campus fans get so excited about a few wins in the little six. Cute.

I was at the tourney for both games, its too bad that the MNSU vs SCSU game wasn't the final, that was an intense and fun game to watch start to finish.As to MNSU vs UofM, the goofer got out hustled and out played, plain and simple. No one on the Goofers wanted to fight in the corners, sprint for loose pucks or finish checks. The Mavs did that all game long. It was pretty satisfying watching a team as arrogant as Minnesota get beat by Bemidji and Minnesota State, especially when you consider that the U didn't want either of them in the old WCHA.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I was at the tourney for both games, its too bad that the MNSU vs SCSU game wasn't the final, that was an intense and fun game to watch start to finish.As to MNSU vs UofM, the goofer got out hustled and out played, plain and simple. No one on the Goofers wanted to fight in the corners, sprint for loose pucks or finish checks. The Mavs did that all game long. It was pretty satisfying watching a team as arrogant as Minnesota get beat by Bemidji and Minnesota State, especially when you consider that the U didn't want either of them in the old WCHA.

The Golden Rodents started to pretend to care about the other four Division I programs in their State after the 6-team Big Ten Hockey Conference formed and they needed more non-conference games to fill out their schedule. Previous to that, they treated those other programs like JV.

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The Golden Rodents started to pretend to care about the other four Division I programs in their State after the 6-team Big Ten Hockey Conference formed and they needed more non-conference games to fill out their schedule. Previous to that, they treated those other programs like JV.

And now the JV can kick the "Varsity's" arrogant ass, It was pretty pathetic to see the change in the number of goofer fans present at the Bemidji Game vs the Minnesota State game. Even the goofer faithful are starting to bail. By the time the they finally play the Sioux again its going to be pretty pathetic to watch. Good news for us is that we have two good Minnesota teams in Conference and two other good Minnesota teams in non conference that we can play.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

On TV, It didn't look like St. Cloud, Mankato and Bemidji fans (and a few stray gopher fans) could fill even half of the excel. 

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I leaning towards  Potulny, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucia gone, too.

I'm guessing Guentzel if not Lucia.  I was watching the MN vs BSU game and at the end of the game lucia was drawing up the last play rather then Guentzel (who was sitting at the opposite end of the bench by himself with his hand resting on his fist staring into space).  I thought that was extremely odd.  BSU won the next faceoff and instantly scored an ENG.

2 hours ago, UND1981 said:

On TV, It didn't look like St. Cloud, Mankato and Bemidji fans (and a few stray gopher fans) could fill even half of the excel. 

It seemed fuller last year, I think the time and day change played a part in that, it was really weird having the game start at 1 and then at 4. I think that threw a lot of people off, I guess I can see them doing that on Sunday, especially for the people in bemidji that have a long ass drive, but I think if they had the game on saturday at a later times like 4 and 7, that would have helped for the people from Saint Cloud and Mankato, however for the goofer fans there is no excuse. U of M fans are bailing on the program.

On 1/30/2016 at 9:16 PM, Godsmack said:

I'm getting ready to wager all $12.48 in my 401(k) that the Gwoz gets the call from Bucky after this season ends.

That would require Barry Alvarez to acknowledge the existence of a hockey team in Madison :D

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2016 at 5:32 AM, burd said:

I don't follow that program too closely, though I've lived in Wisconsin for 25 years, but I think Eaves has actually done a good job of recruiting high end talent.   What he's failed at, among other things (I think he's a little too controlling with his players and the morale suffers as a result--but I don't know that) is getting the balance of 2-year guys and 4-year guys.   Something the Sioux program has excelled at.  They have these real bad stretches as a result.  

It's been the same since he started coaching at Wisconsin. Schlossman did a story about them some time in the last calendar year about it. He brings in one recruiting class with a lot of players every 4 years and only a few players the other 3 years, which shows in their season results. It's almost a perfect cycle. Bad in year one, bad in year 2, decent in year 3 and usually good in year 4. Then all of those players are gone and the cycle starts over. Wisconsin has literally been in that exact 4 year cycle ever since Eaves took over.

7 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

There is little doubt that one of the three - Lucia, Guentzel, or Potulny - will not be back next season.  

I'm still not sold on that...Lucia has said he's coaching next year and that Guentzel would be a great guy to takeover when he leaves. It seems Lucia likes Potulny as well (Surprise!). They'll all get at least one more year together since Minnesota doesn't have an AD at the moment and it seems won't any time in the foreseeable future with the way they've been handling it. 

I personally don't want Guentzel to automatically get the job, I'd like the U to take a look at potential candidates and see who's interested. According to boosters there have been rumors about potential coaching candidates (No names, though) and supposedly most of them aren't even from Minnesota.

6 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

IMO, this has been their biggest issue for about 7 years now. Even the years they've been good in that span it's been something that they usually tend to really struggle to do minus a few individual players. I said the same thing all season long during the years they made it to the Frozen Four in Tampa and Philly. They've managed to win a lot of games on talent alone in recent years. I mentioned it to Goon on twitter about a month ago, actually. If they actually gave the effort of teams like UND, SCSU and even Penn State they'd have been very, very good teams. Penn State isn't very talented but their effort keeps them in a lot of games and gives them chances to win.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GFG said:

It's been the same since he started coaching at Wisconsin. Schlossman did a story about them some time in the last calendar year about it. He brings in one recruiting class with a lot of players every 4 years and only a few players the other 3 years, which shows in their season results. It's almost a perfect cycle. Bad in year one, bad in year 2, decent in year 3 and usually good in year 4. Then all of those players are gone and the cycle starts over. Wisconsin has literally been in that exact 4 year cycle ever since Eaves took over.

This pattern was easy to ignore when year 4 was a raging success.  Eaves' last "Year 4" team was the one that let UND into the tourney and then promptly lost to them in the first round of the regional.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Sorry, no one west of Pennsylvania gives two shi+s about the Bean-Pole tourney. :)

It might garner a bit more interest if it wasn't won by BC or BU every stinking year.  By the way, guess which two teams made it to the title game this year?

• Upvote 1

Goon, I'd like to see some of the goals from the BU and BC wins last night if you don't mind putting some highlights up here.

Maybe it's the nostalgia of the old Gahden as a Celtics/Bruins fan, but I'm all-in when it comes to the Beanpot.  It's College Hockey....on Monday nights.....in the dead of winter.

And while UND and St. Cloud State are turning heads out west, you have to figure that BU or BC (or maybe even Harvard) will be playing in Tampa in April. Harvard has a light schedule but if Yale and Providence have proven anything over the past four years, it's that supposed softer teams out east can still make a good run in the tourney.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:14 AM, GoalieMask said:

Goon, I'd like to see some of the goals from the BU and BC wins last night if you don't mind putting some highlights up here.

Maybe it's the nostalgia of the old Gahden as a Celtics/Bruins fan, but I'm all-in when it comes to the Beanpot.  It's College Hockey....on Monday nights.....in the dead of winter.

And while UND and St. Cloud State are turning heads out west, you have to figure that BU or BC (or maybe even Harvard) will be playing in Tampa in April. Harvard has a light schedule but if Yale and Providence have proven anything over the past four years, it's that supposed softer teams out east can still make a good run in the tourney.

I could add both games into one Youtube video...

• Upvote 1