SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

51 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't understand their struggles this year. They have talent; I hope they don't figure it out in March.

Btw, you skipped 2014-15. And 2010-11.....we know what happened that year.

2010-2011 was a half-season in Amsoil.  Sandelin's had 1 good full season in the new building and 2 very crummy ones - and is closer to making that 2 a 3 than he is the 1 a 2.

Is a 2014-2015 record of 21-16-3 a really good season in your eyes?  Sounds like 5 games over .500 to me.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

14 wins in 2012-2013...

16 wins in 2013-2014...

9 wins so far this season...

Yea, Sandelin's really slayin' it at Amsoil, isn't he?

Duluth is a solid team and have been for a few years now. Und alum coaching the team, no need to hate.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The "UND alum" criteria never helped Hak, did it?  Now it's "no need to hate"?  With a five-year record like Sandelin's past five, this place would be in flames even if Jonathan Toews was head coach!

fs4l's whole point was that Sandy's record since Amsoil opened is spectacular and that's just plain FALSE.  Heaven forbid someone just say it. 

Would be interesting to see their overall record in Amsoil itself.   

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

The "UND alum" criteria never helped Hak, did it?  Now it's "no need to hate"?  With a five-year record like Sandelin's past five, this place would be in flames even if Jonathan Toews was head coach!

fs4l's whole point was that Sandy's record since Amsoil opened is spectacular and that's just plain FALSE.  Heaven forbid someone just say it. 

I'll say it, base on the standard that Hakstol was held to. Sandy wouldn't made it long at UND. And yes, the Ralph would've been burnt to the ground. Losing seasons start the clock. Two or three losing seasons in a row would be a disaster here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I see.  For future reference maybe address fs4l specifically. Hak got a ton of crap but no one can argue he wasn't a very good coach. 

Also, i believe if Sandy had been head coach of our team he wouldn't have had the same record as he would with his current team.  You really can't compare it.

The constant Dean and Sandy sarcastic comments is nauseating.  Both are great guys.

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Did I say anything about "spectacular" in my post? I don't think I did.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I see.  For future reference maybe address fs4l specifically. Hak got a ton of crap but no one can argue he wasn't a very good coach. 

Also, i believe if Sandy had been head coach of our team he wouldn't have had the same record as he would with his current team.  You really can't compare it.

The constant Dean and Sandy sarcastic comments is nauseating.  Both are great guys.

I've met them both Dean and Scott several times myself and agree - but this board would absolutely skewer them over their recent records had they been at UND.  

13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

He's done pretty well ever since the Bulldogs moved out of the DECC and into AMSOIL Arena. That had to make recruiting easier.

Here you go, fs4l.  Making it easy for the reader to keep up on the current page. 

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Objection.  Speculation.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Objection.  Speculation.  

Sure, but you're somewhat speculating too.  Noting that this board would be up in flames if Dean and/or Sandy had similar records here.  I'm just saying it would be tough to assume what they would do here.  All I do know is that Dean won two championships while he was here....he's received a lifetime acknowledgement in my book. Those rings don't lie.  He is a great coach (saying that shouldn't take anything away from Hak...that's what many cannot seem to understand).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Sure, but you're somewhat speculating too.  Noting that this board would be up in flames if Dean and/or Sandy had similar records here.  I'm just saying it would be tough to assume what they would do here.  All I do know is that Dean won two championships while he was here....he's received a lifetime acknowledgement in my book. Those rings don't lie.  He is a great coach (saying that shouldn't take anything away from Hak...that's what many cannot seem to understand).

Gino Gasparini was a great coach too.  With 3 rings.  And he was shown the gate rather quickly after a tailspin that started in 1988.

Let's try this:  Suppose Don Lucia was the head guy right now at UND.  Would he be getting a free pass based on titles in 2002 and 2003?  My money says no.  

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Gino Gasparini was a great coach too.  With 3 rings.  And he was shown the gate rather quickly after a tailspin that started in 1988.

Let's try this:  Suppose Don Lucia was the head guy right now at UND.  Would he be getting a free pass based on titles in 2002 and 2003?  My money says no.  

You are right about all of this....except I don't think the Gino "tailspin" started in 1988....more like 1991-92 when their record dipped below .500 and never got back above that until Blais in 1995-96.

16 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

There's a difference between consistently high-end performance that just doesn't get the ring (Hak) and a ring with a sizable dose of bad performance.  Lucia would be a closer call than Eaves.   Eaves' banner was more recent, but there's been a lot of just plain bad there.  I think Lucia might get a pass for the 3 or 4 years when the gophers sucked, as it  does appear he had some serious medical issues that affected his ability to coach.   Even with that though, rings or not, his teams have been full of talent and often disappointed during the regular season as well as the FF. 

I've poked fun at Blais and Sandy at times, but only to have some fun with the Fire Hak crowd.   They are good guys who deserve their reputations as sought-after coaches. 

56 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Here you go, fs4l.  Making it easy for the reader to keep up on the current page. 

I don't see "Spectacular" in there, do you? Solid and Spectacular are two entirely different things. I do think the 2011 NCAA title has given Sandy some breathing space, but that obviously won't last forever.

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He also saved a program that was on the edge of an abyss when he took it over in 1994.

25 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't see "Spectacular" in there, do you? Solid and Spectacular are two entirely different things. I do think the 2011 NCAA title has given Sandy some breathing space, but that obviously won't last forever.

"Done pretty well" since the move were your words.  14 wins, 16 wins, and in the current season, 9 wins.  9.  On February 1st.  

But go ahead and continue hanging your hat on the 25 or 26 win season a couple of years ago... 

42 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

In Lucia's case...maybe.  From what I've heard the coaches are at it again.  He puts himself above the players.  If that was the case here I would agree he should go.  I don't think Dean and Sandy are similar to Lucia.  They are players coaches.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

He also saved a program that was on the edge of an abyss when he took it over in 1994.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. The Greg Johnson/Dixon Ward years were not long before that, and they got a lot of fans in the building and scored a ton of points.  1991-2 was not a great year, but it was not abyss material either.  I don't recall which year it was, but one of those teams was rated No. 1 for a period of time

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

In Lucia's case...maybe.  From what I've heard the coaches are at it again.  He puts himself above the players.  If that was the case here I would agree he should go.  I don't think Dean and Sandy are similar to Lucia.  They are players coaches.

There is little doubt that one of the three - Lucia, Guentzel, or Potulny - will not be back next season.  

3 minutes ago, burd said:

I'd have to respectfully disagree. The Greg Johnson/Dixon Ward years were not long before that, and they got a lot of fans in the building and scored a ton of points.  1991-2 was not a great year, but it was not abyss material either.  I don't recall which year it was, but one of those teams was rated No. 1 for a period of time

The final three years of Gino's tenure got progressively worse until he was asked to resign or else. The arena (and I'm talking about the 6,067 seat OLD REA) was half-full at best by the time Gino was shown the door. Having Ward and Johnson light up scoreboards doesn't make up for losing.

Just now, MafiaMan said:

There is little doubt that one of the three - Lucia, Guentzel, or Potulny - will not be back next season.  

I leaning towards  Potulny, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucia gone, too.