SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

12 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

My concern is that something is wrong with Cam Johnson.  When he came off the ice he went straight to the locker room.  He had not returned when I checked the bench later in the game.  Hopefully he wasn't (or isn't) fighting a nagging or long term injury.

Or he was pissed that he let in 3 goals on, what, 4 shots!!  How many times does a goalie get pulled, injury or not, and stick around on the bench?

18 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Or he was pissed that he let in 3 goals on, what, 4 shots!!  How many times does a goalie get pulled, injury or not, and stick around on the bench?

Most of the time, don't they? Gotta continue supporting the team. Hell, when North Dakota was taking Denver to the woodshed one game, Denver pulled the starting goalie, when the backup goalie got puckshocked, Denver put the starting goalie back in for the rest of the game! Never know. :lol:

33 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Cripes, he has one bad game the night after that emotional trophy presentation and everyone wants to throw him overboard. Cam Johnson will be fine.

I'm not throwing him overboard, but he makes me nervous. You always knew Zane was going to let in a bunny at some point, but that would be it. Cam has shown a tendency to be extremely good, but when the let down happens, it happens in a major way. CC comes to mind, then last weekend against Western Michigan. Those two games were in the second half, if another one happens again between now and April 9th, we'll be done.

27 minutes ago, snova4 said:

I'm not throwing him overboard, but he makes me nervous. You always knew Zane was going to let in a bunny at some point, but that would be it. Cam has shown a tendency to be extremely good, but when the let down happens, it happens in a major way. CC comes to mind, then last weekend against Western Michigan. Those two games were in the second half, if another one happens again between now and April 9th, we'll be done.

No we're not.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, snova4 said:

The game in bold above was a total team meltdown that started with the short-handed breakaway goal we gave up late in the 1st period. It wasn't just Cam Johnson. And I think what happened last Saturday night was a product of the emotions with the Friday game and the fact that Saturday's game had just a fraction of the meaning, thus it was hard to get up for. That won't be a problem going forward.

4 hours ago, snova4 said:

Didnt they win these games you're bringing up? How are you done when you win?

Okay, to clarify. Yes, I understand that the NCHC playoff loss won't kill the team, obviously the only time it's season over is in the NCAA's, didn't figure with the great minds on this board that it would be that difficult, but apparently it is. Second point, yes, we did win both those games, but do you really think the team is going to put up that type of comeback against someone other than CC or Western Michigan? It's possible but I wouldn't want to stake the season on it. In my opinion, Cam's success in goal has had more to do with the guys that play in front of him than anything else, and it makes me incredibly nervous that if those guys aren't lights out, I don't have the faith in the goaltender to bail them out a couple times a game.

• Upvote 1

Cam has been a better goalie this year than Zane was last year, IMO.   Will he have an off game in the NCAAs?  Possibly.  Zane certainly did.   Whatever happens going forward, what he has done this year is pretty unimpeachable regardless of whom you compare him to.   

Anyone else get the note from ticketmaster about buy one get one free for the big ten tourney?  So they are really desperate to fill the arena.  I don't think NCHC will have that problem this year.  Looks like a possible Final Five type of tourney lineup.  Lets just hope UND doesn't overlook CC this weekend.

16 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Anyone else get the note from ticketmaster about buy one get one free for the big ten tourney?  So they are really desperate to fill the arena.  I don't think NCHC will have that problem this year.  Looks like a possible Final Five type of tourney lineup.  Lets just hope UND doesn't overlook CC this weekend.

If we lose a game to CC, people will certainly say they overlooked them, but CC has proven it's capable of playing very well.   Which is odd, because they usually suck. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, snova4 said:

Okay, to clarify. Yes, I understand that the NCHC playoff loss won't kill the team, obviously the only time it's season over is in the NCAA's, didn't figure with the great minds on this board that it would be that difficult, but apparently it is. Second point, yes, we did win both those games, but do you really think the team is going to put up that type of comeback against someone other than CC or Western Michigan? It's possible but I wouldn't want to stake the season on it. In my opinion, Cam's success in goal has had more to do with the guys that play in front of him than anything else, and it makes me incredibly nervous that if those guys aren't lights out, I don't have the faith in the goaltender to bail them out a couple times a game.

come NCAA time everyone will be lights out, because everybody is playing for their hockey season to continue. If cam lets in 2 goals on 2 shots Matt will be ready to go. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I would like to think that Cam got his crappy game out of the way last weekend, and will be fine from here on out. Do you remember when Zane had his worst game? It was in the FF and the year was done. I don't see that happening this year.

Biggest problem in that game was that Gothberg showed up when we needed McIntyre.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, snova4 said:

Yes, when you mistype something that's 100% false we should just understand what you actually mean. The fact is that there are potentially 4 or 5 games between now and sudden death tourney time. This team has built such a good record that they could lose all of the remaining games and still be in come tourney time. And do you know a big reason why they have that record? Cam Johnson. Do you know why we swept WMU in Kalamazoo? Cam Johnson. I was incredibly worried about the goaltending situation coming into this year, but Cam and Matt have played so well that a 3rd round goaltender can't even sniff the net.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, snova4 said:

Completely agree.  When Cam's been on his game this year, he's been absolutely astounding.  When he's been off his game this year, he's been absolutely atrocious.  2 goals on 8 shots against Bemidji; 3 goals on 13 shots against St. Cloud St; 4 goals on 23 shots against Omaha; 3 goals on 11 shots against Colorado College; 5 goals on 30 shots against Denver; 3 goals on 4 shots against Western Michigan.  http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,23904/cam-johnson/#20152016

And, no, UND has not won all of these games when Cam played poorly.  UND was 1-3-2.  It's fairly likely that UND will not be playing the likes of Bemidji State, Colorado College, and Western Michigan in the NCAA tournament.

We know Cam can string together a number of solid games.  I don't think anyone is trying to dismiss his shutout streak and dominance at Duluth and Western Michigan.  But Cam's bad is really bad, and I hope he got the last one out of his system against Western Michigan.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yes, when you mistype something that's 100% false we should just understand what you actually mean. The fact is that there are potentially 4 or 5 games between now and sudden death tourney time. This team has built such a good record that they could lose all of the remaining games and still be in come tourney time. And do you know a big reason why they have that record? Cam Johnson. Do you know why we swept WMU in Kalamazoo? Cam Johnson. I was incredibly worried about the goaltending situation coming into this year, but Cam and Matt have played so well that a 3rd round goaltender can't even sniff the net.

Glad you're confident in him, but when it comes to the final push of the year, I don't care whether it's an emotional night or not, when a goalie let's in 3 goals on 4 shots to the second worst team in the conference it doesn't sit well with me. Yes, we came back and won the game on the back of a walk on goalie, but again, that leads me again to believe it has much more to do with the individuals in front. I really, really, really, really hope my gut feeling is wrong.

15 minutes ago, snova4 said:

Glad you're confident in him, but when it comes to the final push of the year, I don't care whether it's an emotional night or not, when a goalie let's in 3 goals on 4 shots to the second worst team in the conference it doesn't sit well with me. Yes, we came back and won the game on the back of a walk on goalie, but again, that leads me again to believe it has much more to do with the individuals in front. I really, really, really, really hope my gut feeling is wrong.

You can't blame those 3 goals on cam.

Goal 1: St. Clair hands makes a beautiful pass to the opposing player all alone in the slot. He goes top glove and beats Cam from point blank.

Goal 2: WMU kills a penalty and gets a 3 on 2, the Bronco player using a screen goes high blocker using the UND dman as a screen. The shot goes top corner.

Goal 3: WMU enters the zone and shoots a puck top corner high glove using a UND player as a screen. This shot is just above the dot. Maybe Cam could have cut the angle a little better but it was a shot that reminding me of a Caggiula goal. I was sitting right behind the shooting lane and wasn't even upset that he didn't save it.

My point in all of this is that you can't just look at goals given up per shot attempts in a vacuum. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Goal 1: St. Clair hands makes a beautiful pass to the opposing player all alone in the slot. He goes top glove and beats Cam from point blank.

Goal 2: WMU kills a penalty and gets a 3 on 2, the Bronco player using a screen goes high blocker using the UND dman as a screen. The shot goes top corner.

Goal 3: WMU enters the zone and shoots a puck top corner high glove using a UND player as a screen. This shot is just above the dot. Maybe Cam could have cut the angle a little better but it was a shot that reminding me of a Caggiula goal. I was sitting right behind the shooting lane and wasn't even upset that he didn't save it.

My point in all of this is that you can't just look at goals given up per shot attempts in a vacuum. 

Goals 2 and 3 were a little less forgivable.  Perhaps he struggled to differentiate the puck from the black jerseys....

18 hours ago, snova4 said:

This is what makes me nervous, too.  We have seen this show before.  Outstanding goalie all year with excellent defense in front of him possibly skewing his greatness.  Get to the Regional Final or Frozen Four and they give up 4-6 goals in the biggest game of the year.  Why?  Possibly because the goalies defense is now getting broken down by better skill players (BC-BU) or a different "system" (Yale?) and he can't consistently make the one-on-one save.  

25 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Goal 1, absolutely not on Cam, I agree. Other 2? Can't exactly describe them as grade A chances. Watching them live, then on replay in the arena, they didn't have the look of anything spectacular.