SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

There's a pretty obvious nickname that needs to be more discussed more widely.

There's a fearsome animal that lives in North Dakota that would be a great mascot.  If we review the criteria, we see that...

1.  It's fierce and highly energetic and passionate.

2.  It's native to North Dakota.

3.  It's unique and highly marketable.  No other known school has the name.

4.  It's an adorable and cute mammal, which works well with marketing, mascots, etc.

5.  It would be very recognizable for the school, which would aid in recruiting.

6.  It's small, but ferocious for its size, which would match the brand of UND.

7.  It complements the mascots of other nearby schools (Wolverines, Badgers, Gophers) while also being quite unique and much more cool.

8.  It could work with the current color scheme.

9.  If you put UND in front of it, you get a fun Machiavellian play on words.

I present to you The UND Ermines!  Look at the fearsome yet adorable face on this killing machine!  It would be true marketing genius to take this name.  It works on every level.

4.jpg

Please no. I am shocked it has had this much traction.

Me too.....especially when Big Green, Sundogs, Nodaks and Mongoose (just to name some real winners) are still out there.

<eyes rolling>

• Upvote 1

Me too.....especially when Big Green, Sundogs, Nodaks and Mongoose (just to name some real winners) are still out there.

<eyes rolling>

Never said I agreed with the names you listed however coming from GF I can tell you rough riders sounds just as silly and out there considering red river has had it forever. I haven't ran into anyone from GF fond of that idea.

I'll make my case here.

They need a mascot that is native to North Dakota - the ermine is native to North Dakota

They need a mascot that is (at least somewhat) unique to North Dakota - the ermine's range is very limited in the U.S. 

They need a mascot that is fierce but marketable - the ermine is a fierce predator while also being highly charming visually

They need a mascot that works with green and white - ermine are white, at least in winter

They need a mascot that is unique and recognizable - as far as I can tell, there's no other team called the ermines

Never said I agreed with the names you listed however coming from GF I can tell you rough riders sounds just as silly and out there considering red river has had it forever. I haven't ran into anyone from GF fond of that idea.

Boston College and Boston College High School (BC High) have the same name and colors. No one seems to care the a College and a high school in Boston have the same name and colors.

I'll make my case here.

They need a mascot that is native to North Dakota - the ermine is native to North Dakota

They need a mascot that is (at least somewhat) unique to North Dakota - the ermine's range is very limited in the U.S. 

They need a mascot that is fierce but marketable - the ermine is a fierce predator while also being highly charming visually

They need a mascot that works with green and white - ermine are white, at least in winter

They need a mascot that is unique and recognizable - as far as I can tell, there's no other team called the ermines

It's just another weasel; I'll pass.

I'll make my case here.

There's probly a good reason for that

Boston College and Boston College High School (BC High) have the same name and colors. No one seems to care the a College and a high school in Boston have the same name and colors.

That's a very apples to oranges comparison, and again I think unique is part of the criteria and Roughriders certainly isn't unique. 

There's a pretty obvious nickname that needs to be more discussed more widely.

There's a fearsome animal that lives in North Dakota that would be a great mascot.  If we review the criteria, we see that...

1.  It's fierce and highly energetic and passionate.

2.  It's native to North Dakota.

3.  It's unique and highly marketable.  No other known school has the name.

4.  It's an adorable and cute mammal, which works well with marketing, mascots, etc.

5.  It would be very recognizable for the school, which would aid in recruiting.

6.  It's small, but ferocious for its size, which would match the brand of UND.

7.  It complements the mascots of other nearby schools (Wolverines, Badgers, Gophers) while also being quite unique and much more cool.

8.  It could work with the current color scheme.

9.  If you put UND in front of it, you get a fun Machiavellian play on words.

I present to you The UND Ermines!  Look at the fearsome yet adorable face on this killing machine!  It would be true marketing genius to take this name.  It works on every level.

4.jpg

I like Weasels better.

1. The stoat, also known as the short-tailed weasel, is a species of Mustelidae native to Eurasia and North America, distinguished from the least weasel by its larger size and longer tail with a prominent black tip.Wikipedia
  3. Scientific nameMustela erminea
  4. Lifespan1.5 y (In Wild)
  5. Mass0.57 lbs (Adult, Male)
  6. RankSpecies
  7. Tail length3 – 4.7 in. (Adult, Male)

The challenge facing the really unique nicknames is they won't get past the "committee" think process. When there are too many opinions in a room the tendency is to stay mainstream. For example: 

Here come The Mighty Mjölnir - pronounced Myol-N(ee)r

The Mjolnir is the name given to the hammer of Thor, one of the most fearsome weapons of Norse mythology. It is capable of leveling mountains. It depicts power, it has very powerful logo/icon possibilities, it's related to the Scandinavian culture in the region and it is 100% unique - it doesn't stand a chance. 

The challenge facing the really unique nicknames is they won't get past the "committee" think process. When there are too many opinions in a room the tendency is to stay mainstream. For example: 

The Mjolnir is the name given to the hammer of Thor, one of the most fearsome weapons of Norse mythology. It is capable of leveling mountains. It depicts power, it has very powerful logo/icon possibilities, it's related to the Scandinavian culture in the region and it is 100% unique - it doesn't stand a chance. 

It might work if you just simplified it to Warhammers.

I'll make my case here.

They. They. They.

I'm looking for someone that speaks in "we", not "they".

I'd support it in a heartbeat.

The official name "Mjolnir"; in the SID information that goes out to media you'd explain that Mjolnir is war hammer used by Thor, the Norse/Germanic thunder god.

The media would pick up on "war hammer" immediately and you'd soon hear TV and radio guys use it just like the media references "the herd" instead of the B-word for that yellow school in Fargo.

Remember, only the worthy wield Mjolnir.

I'd support it in a heartbeat.

The official name "Mjolnir"; in the SID information that goes out to media you'd explain that Mjolnir is war hammer used by Thor, the Norse/Germanic thunder god.

The media would pick up on "war hammer" immediately and you'd soon hear TV and radio guys use it just like the media references "the herd" instead of the B-word for that yellow school in Fargo.

Remember, only the worthy wield Mjolnir.

Speaking of the B-words, it would steal some of their "thunder". The Norse believed that the sound of thunderstorms was a production of Thor fighting giants to protect humans.

It might work if you just simplified it to Warhammers.

I can just picture some limp-wristed liberal in the room saying "We can't have any name with the word "War" in it. I like either War Hammers or Thunder Hammers - with a Scandinavian/Thor hammer icon and the name Mjölnir would make a great secondary theme perhaps for shirts, the name for an award (do they have to replace the name for the Sioux award or even a Champions Club level etc.

Who copied who in that case?  I doubt BC copied the high school.  Same with the Ames, Iowa comparison.  I doubt Iowa State copied Ames High School.

There's nothing wrong if the local high school team wants to copy the local university.  There is something wrong with the university copying the local high school.  IMO.  

I can just picture some limp-wristed liberal in the room saying "We can't have any name with the word "War" in it. I like either War Hammers or Thunder Hammers - with a Scandinavian/Thor hammer icon and the name Mjölnir would make a great secondary theme perhaps for shirts, the name for an award (do they have to replace the name for the Sioux award or even a Champions Club level etc.

You solved the "war" word: thUNDer hammer.

But would we have to get Trevor Hammer's approval to use the name?  :silly:  :D

I'll make my case here.

Not a fan of picking a new mascot at all, I'll stick with UND. BUT if I had to throw one out there it would be the state horse The Nokota or "The Nokes".